Is it legal for two police who just walked on police abuse charges to pay the pr

1. Man from Modesto profile image83
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

Is it legal for two police who just walked on police abuse charges to pay the prosecution's fees?

My friend was beat up by two city police officers. I went to college with him, and he is a decent person. Unfortunately, he got mixed up with a BAD woman. One day, they argued. He walked out, and sat on the grass by the pool. She called the PD and said he had beaten her (a lie). The police showed up in posse mode, got his name, cuffed him, and threw him in the squad car.
    Across town, they drug him to the ground and beat him so severely, he can barely walk.

No local lawyers would take the case. He hired 2 brothers from L.A. They were the worst. They lost. then, the 2 police paid their bill!

2. ibbarkingmad profile image81
    ibbarkingmadposted 6 years ago

Wait, is this a bad thing? If the police who were accused (the defense) paid the attorney fees for the prosecution (your friend) then wouldn't that mean your friend did not have to pay the fees? I may not be understanding the question, but from where I stand, that is a good thing since usually when you lose you still have to pay your attorney unless there is an agreement to the contrary before you go to court.
    The only way this could be bad is if the attorneys were being paid under the table so that they would fail in the case. In that case there could maybe be a retrial or a trial over corruption, but that is a criminal case. Additionally, it sounds like this is a civil suite, not a criminal suite. If it were a criminal suite then the district attorney would be involved and our friend would not need a lawyer since the DA would represent him. Perhaps the best thing to do is to see if the DA is looking into this case as brutality is a criminal no matter who does it. If it was a criminal case, the cops who were accused cannot be tried a second time for the same crime as that violated the double jeopardy clause in the Bill of Rights (being tried more than once for the same crime). There is no way around that clause and for good reason.

working