jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Will libraries of the far future actually contain any books?

1. CWanamaker profile image96
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

Will libraries of the far future actually contain any books?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

I hope so. I love the smell and feel of books...it is not the same as reading it on a screen..

3. Dennis AuBuchon profile image82
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 5 years ago

While we have become a technology age where everything seems to be going electronic I feel there will always be libraries in the future which will contain books.  While some individuals like reading books on a screen many others like the paperback or hardback variety. 

Reading books on a screen is great to some extent but I myself like paperback or hardback books.  This does not mean there will not be changes in what libraries will have.  In the future which is already here libraries have both electronic versions of books and the paperback/hardback varieties.  There is room for both in the future of libraries as we will know it.

I have purchased electronic books and I am satisfied with them but it is dependent upon the content.  There are a great many books which have an electronic version and a paperback/hardback version.  Today we as authors must provide books in any format that will reach interested readers.  It is all about providing what we sell in the format buyers want.

4. Marturion profile image60
    Marturionposted 5 years ago

I believe that, as  e-books slowly (and maybe not so slowly) gain in popularity, we will see the paper-printed book become more of a novelty.  At that point, special libraries will be made to act as storehouses for the printed books that remain.  Who knows, maybe we will reach a point where gallery-like libraries will feature one-of-a-kind printed books, that people will come to view (but certainly not touch or actually read) original print editions of books.

5. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 5 years ago

I hope the future libraries will have books. I would be very sad if everything was converted into the electronic format.  Some books should be read as a book and not as the electronic book version.

6. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I think libraries in the future may be one of the only places to read actual books (a sad day that will be) I love books in all forms, but nothing beats the feel in your hands of an actual books pages smile

7. JamaGenee profile image83
    JamaGeneeposted 5 years ago

I believe books will never completely disappear, so the answer to your question is YES.  Libraries will continue to evolve, however.  Besides books they now contain not only books but other forms of media for our perusal and enjoyment.  My own local public library is a one-stop information AND entertainment center, and that's how it should be. ;D

8. stephhicks68 profile image94
    stephhicks68posted 5 years ago

I think it depends on how far into the future we are talking.  Years ago, photographers might not have imagined that we would be nearly 100% digital by the 2000s.

20-50 years from now, there might still be printed books, although they could be a novelty by then.  Libraries will continue to exist, but with different offerings than today, I expect.  Maybe the question should be - what will the museums of the far future contain?  smile

9. hoteltravel profile image71
    hoteltravelposted 5 years ago

The rate at which trees are destroyed, I wonder whether there will be enough left to make paper to print books. Much as I would like to, real books might become a thing of luxury in a couple of decades. I wish books remain affordable during my lifetime. I just can't accept e-books, while the next generation doesn't feel much of a difference.

10. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I hope so. I love the pages, the smell, the texture, the feel. It's so thrilling to have a hand copy, to hold and love. smile

11. Lions Den Media profile image61
    Lions Den Mediaposted 5 years ago

Future libraries will still have books because civilized societies need the written word, because there is no guarantee of there being power or the internet or even the technology we currently have in the future. For example, what if there were an EMP attack? Or with the US government no capable of shutting down the internet, the future is unknowable. Therefore, books are essential for the future of society. After all, wasn't the computer suppose to lead to a "paperless" office?

working