jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

When a woman becomes President, what will her husband's title be?

1. Jangaplanet profile image77
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

When a woman becomes President, what will her husband's title be?

The President's wife has a title 'First Lady', but how would you address her husband if she were President instead?

2. Marturion profile image60
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

The title would be First Husband, precedent-ed by female presidents and their husbands in countries such as Argentina, Bolivia, Iceland, etc.   The practice of titling spouses dates back to when elected officials were almost exclusively royalty, hence "First Lady." (Technically the husband of an executive elected official would then be "First Sir," but that just sounds weird.)

3. Hubpage Gal profile image60
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

I think that the husband of a president who is female should simply be called the husband of the president.  I think that the title first lady is synonymous to royalty as the other commentor suggests and to give the woman a respectful place in the hierarchy.

4. JAY2012 profile image58
    JAY2012posted 6 years ago

Hi,
    well. The husbands title will be  FIRST GENTLEMAN

5. plaid pages profile image60
    plaid pagesposted 6 years ago

Hmmm.  good question...

depends if he's her
    First Husband
    Second Husband
    or Third...

heehee

Robyn

6. nuttyforbuffalo profile image59
    nuttyforbuffaloposted 6 years ago

Well the expression is ladies and gentlemen, so i guess he would be first Gentleman

7. BizVT34 profile image74
    BizVT34posted 6 years ago

I believe he'd be known as "ol What's his Name"

8. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 6 years ago

I also believe it would be the First Gentleman. I hope he would be one too!!!smile

9. Cliff Mendrez profile image88
    Cliff Mendrezposted 6 years ago

There had been two female Presidents here in the Philippines. The first became President after her husband was killed. The second ran for Congress after finishing her term as President. Her husband was called First Gentleman.

10. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

The butler.

The water boy

The stalker?

11. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The phrase "first lady" isn't a title, it's just a customary honor. A similar phrase for a president's husband, or male partner, or whatever it turns out to be in the fullness of time will no doubt be flashed by the media, and it will be just as silly, pompous and pretentious as the present one.

A number of president's wives haven't been ladies atall, merely pro forma alleged ones. Few presidents have been gentlemen. We should stop awarding fake titles altogether, especially those that don't fit. After all, this is supposed to be a democratic nation the federal government of which has a chief executive officer who is just another citizen chosen temporarily to enforce the laws.

12. profile image50
    reeltalk2posted 5 years ago

That's easy.  If the President's wife is referred to as the First Lady, then her husband should be titled, "The First Man."  Which is not to be confused with Adam.

13. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

There has already been one, They called him President Bill Clinton. smile

14. greencha profile image68
    greenchaposted 5 years ago

Sorry I just seen  comment all ready here-RE-First Gentleman..

working