jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does arguing about religion or politics ever change anybody's opinions on these

1. CR Rookwood profile image84
    CR Rookwoodposted 5 years ago

Does arguing about religion or politics ever change anybody's opinions on these topics?

2. Scottye Davis profile image63
    Scottye Davisposted 5 years ago

If you have credible evidence and are extremely coersive, I believe so. Although It doesn't happen often. The other person has to be open minded and really listen to them, not just end up in a rage spouting off their opinions, or what usually happens, they insult the other person when they have no rebuttal. My favorite line when insulted when I am debating another person is "Insults and personal attacks are the first signs of a failing argument." It either shuts them up or they get madder, either way, you win.

3. H P Roychoudhury profile image50
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 5 years ago

Yes, teachings of religion at least help to sort out the problem if not solved completely. I don’t know other religion but I know a little of Hinduism where ‘Gita ‘is the source. According to that a man should not do his duty for himself or for the country with a look out of personal interest rather for the welfare of the Universe, the almighty being the protector of the universe. The religion demands selfless dedication work for the sake of work irrespective of loss or gain.

4. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Arguing may be counterproductive, but proclamation of one's religious beliefs, regardless of the religion, has obviously made "conversions" for centuries when people willingly change their minds.  "Conversion" through violence or threat of violence doesn't count, however!

working