Do you have a fascination with violence?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Do you have a fascination with violence?

Studying significant violent events through the modern days and consider issues such as political violence, terrorism and representation of violence in art, literature and films one has to admit: 'we are bloodthirsty lot'. Violence is not only a fundamental part of our history but also of our modern time. What is your attitude towards violence?

2. sen.sush23 profile image61
    sen.sush23posted 12 years ago

Recently I had some time in hand, and I would be sitting around with my parents in the early evening, sharing a cup of tea and watching their favorite television programs. All of a sudden, we all three of us began to feel that it was getting pretty depressing and suffocating to view the soaps in the prime time slots, with the gruesome family violence and pessimistic melodrama. I think we are all developing this taste for blood- thanks to media and entertainment too, where the ugly and oppressing are now served as engrossing, and people of all age are watching this and gradually developing first an ability to bear with violence and then an unconscious affinity to it. Unless we consciously switch ourselves off from all such violent entertainment, and bar our children from the violent news, without stopping from being alert and defensive and oppose violence within our individual and social abilities - the trend to violence will be on the rise. We are gradually immunizing our children from feeling any pain  and rather enabling them to enjoy violence.

3. hoteltravel profile image64
    hoteltravelposted 12 years ago

I try to avoid violence in all aspects of my life, but it is becoming more and more difficult to do so. You open newspaper, headlines scream at you informing you about the violent acts across the world in the last 24 hours. Switch on the TV; again, it is the same. New channels thrive on violence. I admit that they can't change what is happening in the world, but they can always use their sense of propriety in reporting the events. Movies, sit-coms and even kid's channels are full of violence. Most often, I end up watching cookery shows, because they do not show violence. Though I am not much interested in cooking itself!

4. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 12 years ago

I can be violent. Anybody can. Most of us keep it inside us and blow their gaff suddenly for no reason anybody can work out. Some violence is necessary to ease the pressure. My violence is limited, some involve others and before long the population gets thinned out here, there and everywhere. That's called war. It's institutionalL "You're inferior, we're going to prove it", or "We were here first, s*d off back where you came from!"
    There's another kind of violence that's institutional, it's called the VAT man,
    "You owe us, cough up or we'll send in the boys in black".
    And then there's another kind,
    "If you want us to be your friends, buy the numbers". That's a protection racket. Does it sound any different to this:
    "If you vote for me, I'll make sure your wallet will stay in your pocket".
    That's politics.

5. somethgblue profile image75
    somethgblueposted 12 years ago

Not since I sold my TV four years ago, now it rarely makes an appearance in my life. Just what I see on the computer and in various News stories on the Web, take for instance the soldier that massacred all those folks in Afghanistan.

Their is more to that story than anyone will ever know, sure folks are capable of pure evil but that takes some sort of mind control.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)