jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can crime be justified if committed for a Valid reason like public welfare?

1. taw2012 profile image59
    taw2012posted 5 years ago

Can crime be justified if committed for a Valid reason like public welfare?

2. smcote profile image73
    smcoteposted 5 years ago

I guess it depends on the type of crime being commited. For instance some would claim killing of dictators is good for public welfare. Are we thinking of the United States public welfare or someone elses? I do believe generally a crime is a crime once you start determing if something is for the benefit of the people you scew the laws to much

3. qeyler profile image58
    qeylerposted 5 years ago

It would not be a crime if it were for a valid reason.  For example; a store is on fire, and you smash the glass to get out.  You are not guilty of destruction of property because you had a valid reason.

4. Joan King profile image73
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

A crime is a crime, is a crime. You would have to ask who determines that it is for "public welfare" and what is "valid". There are laws that tell you what you can do under specific circumstances, therefore, if it is legal under certain cercumstances it is not a crime. But if a person decides to play, say Robin Hood, robbing stores to give to the poor, there is no law that justifies that even if  Robin Hood thinks he is doing so in the interest of public welfare and would certainly end up in jail. There is a reason for laws so that each person does not get to determine what crime they can commit in the interest of what they believe is "valid"

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

No, crime is crime. There is a way to solve public welfare issues without committing a crime. Perhaps the reason we have welfare issues is crime, so two wrongs don't make a right.

6. kingphilipIV profile image59
    kingphilipIVposted 5 years ago

For me, as long as there is a valid reason, the crime committed can never be or will never be consider as a crime. But by the end of the day, it still depends on the hands of the authority if they consider it as a crime or not.

7. kapeedranos profile image43
    kapeedranosposted 5 years ago

there is authority to check the crime and to have the proposal of public welfare..so crime in society will add to the woe of the society... again whether the crime is serious if it is so then public welfare cannot be accepted for such crime...better judge, who win the race whether crime or welfare and also need to re look the impact of the crime again on society...better avoid the crime ,we cannot makes weaken one part of society just for making another aspect strong

8. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Examples of my opinion- Killing a rapist who raped your daughter- Justified
    Killing the guy who ran into your car-Not justified
    To the next person it may be the opposite and there will always be those who don't believe any crime is justified. All opinions!

working