Solar Power, Lets make it work!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. russellwnentwich profile image59
    russellwnentwichposted 14 years ago

I recently came to the conclusion that no new house should be built without solar power, and solar water heaters installed.

Currently solar power cells cost more per kilowatt hour than conventional power does.

But, what if the EPA manned up and pushed for new buildings to derive a certain percentage of their power from solar (or wind for you windy types)? Then builders would be forced to buy solar panels and new buildings would buy less electricity from regular(coal, nuclear, etc..) power companies because they would in a sense produce a certain amount of their own power,  In our “free” market as the cost of solar panels went down, because of a higher demand, and prices per kilowatt hour went up at the power company, could this cause a shift towards alternative power?
    Could the cost per solar panel go down due to increased revenues? I believe the healthy stream of money could advance the solar industry and bring us out of the dark ages of power production.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Increased demand increases price....not the other way around.

russellwnentwichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Increased demand does increase the price in the short run, But I’m thinking more in the long run where increased demand increased the price which causes manufacturers to increase production which puts more product on the market, at the same time increased demand causes more businesses to enter the market because of the possibility of profit….all this leads to an increase in supply which as you should know lowers the price, and the increase of competition leads to lower prices and/or better products…so you see….    <this portion left intentionally blank>

1. profile image57

While what your saying has some truth to it, your starting out by artificially creating demand by having the government mandate it. This will therefore increase the price. Just like insurance. Sooner or later we will realize that you simply don't want the government in your house.

2. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea, but It's the silicon. The stuff is in higher and higher demand. Unless we have more plants for silicon, we will not be able to bring costs down for the average household.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The cost is a big hill to climb but we will need this source of energy for many reasons. Got to get past the cost of the technology.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's true because electric and gas power customers don't have to pay for the external costs of the pollution, illness, and environmental degradation from coal fired power plants.

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Anytime you hear, "Let's have the government require..." hold on to your wallet and prepare for a likely F-up.

any time I hear "government" I prepare for a F-up haha... but at least its legal to criticize our government openly. But what can you do? I vote, and I complain, and I even write the politicians (they don't reply).

4. russellwnentwich profile image59
    russellwnentwichposted 14 years ago

If the EPA can push the envelope with cars fuel economy why not other issues like home power consumption?

Most people are satisfied with the status quo, and only do the "right" thing when the "right" thing is the cheapest thing to do.

Take for example compact fluorescent lights. No one really used them until the price came down enough that their power savings actually outweighed the cost in a short time.

....I am getting too excited about the issue already haha, thanks for the reply....

I just think that if the government can push programs like cash for clunkers why not something similar for solar panels and wind electricity....I would turn in my old water heater for a solar water heater, I keep bringing up water heaters because apparently they use a good portion of your homes energy.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The market does that job, not the government.

You are right. That is why people have a problem with the U.S. getting involved with the market.

It all makes sense now!

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anything with a motor and heat elements, yes, hike up power consumption. Solar is good for lighter stuff whereas wind is good for the heavier stuff. I would least try to get solar and wind energy just for the appliances that hog the most power. big_smile

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Solar not because the government says so because it's the most cost effective way to go.

If I had a job (poor college student here) I would buy a panel a month and eventually have a grid tied or possibly even a stand alone power system.

Do you use alternative power?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm into gas production but my wife and son don't see me having much future if I keep it up.

I produce a little "gas" from time to time myself!

6. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

if you can support it, a solar panel or a windmill will pay for themselves over time. Do it because its good for you! If everyone who could afford one, had one it would reduce the cost of electricity over time. It would reduce the cost of solar panels over time. All with out government intervention.

Well, you are right...I've given it some thought and we should let it occur naturally. It would make things much more stable over time, and lets face it the cost of electricity is going up every year and the cost of solar panels are going down so it is happening, without the government.
      I just can help wanting things to happen quickly…being American is a curse in that way, but at least I have conquered that whole not being able to admit you are wrong thing right?
      Next stop patience.

1. profile image57

Good for you, no amount of legislation will make you a better anything. Only you get to decide that.  Too much legislation only gives the government more opportunity to judge you....and trust me, no one really wants judgement....or justice for that matter.

2. Sandy Thorn profile image59
        Sandy Thornposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm jumping in late here, but I'd like to point out that sometimes the free market does need a nudge, such as government incentives, due to such things as near monopolies and entrenched infrastructure that resists innovation.  Innovation can actually be spurred by government -- the space program is a good example.  Many new materials (think plastics) that are in common use today were derived from research associated with the space program. 

I'm just saying that we cannot always rely on the free market to save us from our own bad habits.  Sometimes the free market needs a poke.

1. profile image57

The government already does htat via tax deductions for improving your homes energy efficiency.  They also do that via PSA's.  Nudging is one thing, dictating/coercing is another

7. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

But exactly what’s make solar panels expensive? Perhaps it’s because manufacturers are not able to reach break-even points with sales.

If many people were to use solar energy instead of electricity the government will lose taxes on electricity. And because they must have the taxes, then they will have to go to the manufacturers of solar panels for the shotfall.

Asking for the government to demand installation of solar panels in new homes is asking for trouble before it troubles you.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The government should be requiring that consumers or polluters pay the "external" costs of their use of products which pollute, damage the air or water or contribute to global climate change--electricity from coal fired power plants, gas guzzling motor vehicles and so forth.

8. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

It's not that simple!There are still many technical challenges to overcome in order to make solar viable besides the cost which is significant. The return on investment with solar is more than 30 years!

What we should do is remove the regulatory barriers that add cost and discourage the building and use of nuclear power. It is today the only green source of power that can be employed right now! Modern technology has come a long way and these plants are safer than ever before!

1. profile image57

The use of Nuclear power definitely will help. Its the quickest way off of foriegn oil. The only issue I'm still unsure about is what to do with large energy companies who buy up emerging technologies and shelve them....This has happened in both the Auto and Energy sectors. I'm sure that it happens elsewhere as well.

2. russellwnentwich profile image59

Nuclear is not green!

1. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What makes you say that? It produces NO carbon what so ever!

9. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It's not just the solar panels, but a way to store the energy from the sonar panels so that you can have energy on demand.

10. profile image58
    Solar Energy Galposted 14 years ago

Solar power is a great solution! Yes the power might cost more with a long return on investment now, but if you consider that with the cost of fuel going up do you think that the electric company is not going to pass those cost on! Any one with a head knows that you have to raise the cost to cover the increase.

However, I have never gotten a bill from the sun for using it at all. With the increase in the fuel costs you know that return on investment will come closer and closer each year.

As far as the cost though if you build your own solar power system you can save a tremendous amount of money reducing your return on investment even faster!

11. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

It's actually the rare metals like iridium. China cornered the market a few years ago driving down prices putting us and Canada out of the rare metals business.
    Now they aren't happy with the price and have ceased production trying to raise it back up.
    This is supposed to be against trade agreements but it seems like they do what they want.
    You may notice this increase more easily through the price of energy efficient lightbulbs.

12. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

In my state every town that has a river connecting to the ocean must either build a denitrification plant and pollution monitoring station or pay money to the DEP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)