I am a law abiding citizen. Are the police my friend or my enemy?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Brett Winn profile image80
    Brett Winnposted 12 years ago

I am a law abiding citizen. Are the police my friend or my enemy?

When you see a police car driving down the road, do you think about how nice it is that the police are protecting our society from criminals or do you wonder if we're approaching a police state and if that policeman is more enemy than friend?

2. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 12 years ago

Its not correct that policeman is more enemy than friends. There are few corrupted people in the department who do not perform duty and find ways to earn money by torturing weaker sections and threaten them as well. But  rest of the people who remember the importance of oath taken by them while joining the police force do  abide by the law and go with it even if their own family members are found  in criminal  activities. Their motto is duty unto death.

3. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 12 years ago

I would like to say the police are your friend however I know a couple who clearly are not. One has been caught cheating on police tests and has gotten his fellow officers into trouble but never had the spine (he was their superior) to tell his bosses that it was his instructions that made the officers do the wrong thing.

Another officer, who hangs in close company to this first one finds it no problem that he fraternizes with his superior off the job and allows the boss to "coach" him in a sport that the boss NEVER has had even mild experience with. These two cheat on their wives, gossip about others to minimize those peoples' hard earned successes, and when that doesn't work, they try to ride those same people's coat tails in an effort to social climb and glean ideas to steal and pass off on their own while smiling in their faces after all the garbage talk.

After seeing this first hand, I take police with a grain of salt as they are human just like the rest of us. Unfortunately, some think they're better than behind the badge.

4. mrshadyside1 profile image60
    mrshadyside1posted 12 years ago

Due to unfortunate circumstances and experiences involving the authorities,I have very little confidence in the protection provided by law enforcement.Where a century ago the majority of law enforcement officers were of the mindset to protect and help the public.At present the majority is of the mindset that they are above and suspicious of the public as a whole.This is due in part to the "guilty until proven innocent"perspective that they are trained in the academies and schools.It is a fundamental flaw in the whole system today.As if by default everyone is a suspect and even after proof of innocence is established it is viewed with disdain and doubt.I think this is partially due to TV cop shows and competition within law enforcement and a general pessimistic view of life and the world.

5. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

You have asked an interesting question. Depending on your ethnicity, skin color or the type of clothing you are wearing and if the police are profiling, then in a heartbeat you may be viewed differently than a law abiding citizen. I personally think that if you are in a position of police authority then there should be a minimum educational requirement of a 2 year degree. Giving a gun, taser and authority over others with only a high school diploma doesn't really make sense to me.

6. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 12 years ago

I have had bad experience dealing with the police. But like every piece of society there are good one's and bad one. Some get the idea that because they wear a badge and carry a gun that they can do no wrong where other just try to do a good job. I don't think we are nearing a police state.

7. Comrade Joe profile image68
    Comrade Joeposted 12 years ago

The state by its essence is an instrument of class oppression.  So the job of the police is to protect and enforce the interests of the ruling class.  Unless you are a CEO, owner or part of the political elite - the police are your enemy.  If you happen to be a minority, or young then perhaps even more so.

8. hinazille profile image82
    hinazilleposted 12 years ago

in recent times, the police force is certainly not in place to help or protect the people, just like the government is not there to serve or provide for the people. the corporations and bankers are currently taking the peoples wealth, the government is facilitating it and the police is basically there for damage control as the people are waking up to the facts.

no doubt some of the officers that enter the force do so with good intentions, to provide for their families and keep a steady job, and to do good for the society. once in this gang though, they have to follow orders unless they want to risk being ostracised and losing their jobs, so they do immoral things to continue living their lives.

the corporate interests that are running the country are ensuring that we do not remain healthy (both physically and psychologically), have little or no spiritual influence in our lives & are forcing people into accepting jobs where they have to take orders that are unethical and unneccesary, and designed to subjugate humans to a lower level of society.

we are being classically conditioned to accept immorality and ruthlessness in order to survive. for example, stopping and searching people for no reason, shooting on sight even though no weapon is visible & torturing people by waterboarding to obtain 'confessions' and then thinking this is acceptable is not honorable, acceptable or justifiable in any way.

police are not there to protect the people, as their roles state. they are now serving the corporate interests that run the government, the country and effectively, our lives.

so the good intentions & actions of good police officers are fast being outweighed by the cynical and tyrannical orders of their superiors.

9. Deborah Brooks profile image61
    Deborah Brooksposted 12 years ago

well usually the police are you friend.. I know there are a few that are bad but most of good. in our small town they are great... I know I can go to them if I need help no problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)