Is the United States a Police State ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

Is the United States a Police State ?

Almost every week you can read something in the news about violent behaviour of policeman. If you would ask a black person if they trusted the police, the answer would be in most cases No. Which isn't strange if you know that 40% of the inmates is black (considering African-Americans constitute only 12 percent of America's population).
    Do You trust the Police ?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12647169_f260.jpg

2. Herban Cowgirl profile image60
    Herban Cowgirlposted 8 years ago

I'm the whitest, white bread, white girl you've ever seen, I practically glow in the dark--I do not trust the police.  Let me explain:

Individual officers are not the problem.  Most officers are good one on one, and they are doing their best to serve and protect; they deserve some respect and gratitude.  Get to know your local officers, you can see pretty quickly that there are very few corrupt or violent men/women among them.  Often, they are good people put in high stress situations.

However, once you begin to look at those bodies who regulate and run the police departments you start to see some pretty serious corruption. The DEA, homeland security, and the NSA have all contributed to making the US a police state and forcing the good men and women who decide to serve as officers do things that are in violation of our constitutional and human rights.  Non-violent offenders are treated with the same as truly violent bad guys simply because we've decided to approach everyone as if they were the next Boston Marathon Bomber.  Any suspicion of wrong doing can be cause for harassment, search, seizure, and arrest; and all of these stressful situations can turn to violence and brutality in the blink of an eye.

So, do I feel that the US is a police state?  Yes.  I just don't blame the policemen.

1. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

thank you for your clear statement. In my original question I forgot to mention the countless private enterprises that guard/protect schools,shops,public buildings etc.
      Sometimes I feel guilty without doing anything. Metal detectors, cameras etc.

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been watching some very interesting U Tube encounters where people refuse to be intimidated by police in search and seizure .  I actually appreciate that !   In places -there ARE too many , in others ?

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

No , it isn't , Can you even begin to imagine just how  bad his country would be without police ? I mean look at the inner cities , the gangs , Look at the anarchy of how traffic would run wild without some sense of order .  One has to have been around awhile to realize that basic human nature differs soo much from person to person .   I live in a very rural area with little police coverage , it would seem  that  traffic gets weird ,  a little to free range in behavior , if you will.  No , man needs order in his day to day existence .

1. profile image0

true, a society needs police. My question was more like, is there to much police around ? (including the private sector, guarding schools, hospitals etc.)

2. Herban Cowgirl profile image60
      Herban Cowgirlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I also live in the middle of nowhere.  Law and order is fine, living under almost constant surveillance is not.  Being subject to illegal search and seizure is not okay either, and I have had it happen by officers just doing their job.

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The more populated the area, the more police you need,  I live in a small city where a cop drives up our street once in a while

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 8 years ago

Violent behavior of policemen?  As I recall Michael Brown went after the police officer's gun and was going to use it on him  if he got it.  Christian Taylor was trashing a car dealership and went after the police officer.  He might have been high or something.  Two violent men were killed by police officers whose duties are to serve and protect not serve and be killed.  Don't get me wrong, it's too bad these two men are dead.  If they only complied, they would still be alive and getting whatever help they need.

I remember hearing that 40% of the inmates are African Americans.  What are they in jail for?  Rape, murder, drugs, assault?  I know that some are falsely accused like one guy who was in jail for a long time for  something he didn't do. DNA evidence freed him.

Basically the news needs to stop.  They always mention when an African American is killed by a cop-makes national news, but you don't see a lot of mention, protests and such when a white person is killed.  Some people accuse me of the "White Privilege" but what of "Black Privilege" when some individuals think they are above the law?

I don't think there is too much police around.  In the high school in my area there is a police unit and metal detectors for about the past 20 years, because there have been shootings there in the past.  Plus in all the govt buildings for the same reasons.

I do trust the police.  There may been who let their position get over their head.  One such incident was a cop arresting a 13 year old black girl at a pool party.  This was on the news.  He was abusive towards her and she didn't deserve this.  But because of a handful, doesn't mean the rest of them are a problem.

As for the original question, I don't think there are enough police officers to make it a police nation

1. profile image0

thanks for your opinion. Maybe the true reason why there is so many violence, and therefore so many police and private security companies is the easy access of guns. It's far to easy to buy guns with all the consequences.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

That's so true.  Even if they get strict gun control laws, they would still be able to be obtained

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

Of COURSE!! It's the most obvious thing on the planet! People live in fear of the police, and if they don't, they're clearly sleep walking. I've experienced this firsthand when I lived in Ann Arbor for college, and then again in Minneapolis for school. Militant "police" on horseback, armed with guns familiar to war veterans. It's not unfamiliar to see tanks roll through the streets these days in America.. it's now commonplace to hear about cops shooting/killing before they even ascertain who the people are (often they have the wrong people/ wrong house.) It's ridiculous. I cannot believe that people on here seriously believe that cops are our friends, somehow. Do you even pay attention on any level whatsoever to the real news? I'm convinced that most people in the US are completely brainwashed, past dealing with on any rational level whatsoever.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

I smoke cigs outside because I dont want to expose hubs and kids.  I noticed a cop driving by slowly looking at me.  I hear that people who have meth labs smoke outdoors to prevent explosions.

2. profile image0

Oh boy...LoisRyan you're a first class bad-ass terrorist.... If I where you I would go low profile the next couple of weeks ;-)

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

@Peter former military, anti-terrorist

4. profile image0

terrorist, freedom fighter. What's the difference ... Depends on the side your on. I think a bit of civil disobedience is very healthy.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image62

I believe that we are in the middle of another Civil War

6. profile image0

I don't know the US that well, but my impression is that there is too much inequality? Global there are huge problems too. So yes, there is something brewing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)