jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do Leaders Start as Better Leaders and then Lose their Way?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Why do Leaders Start as Better Leaders and then Lose their Way?

2. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure this is always the case.  But when it happens, I think sometimes it is because the situation has shifted:  the leader originally was elected (or selected) with a focus on a particular problem or situation.

And they take action on that focus, successfully or not--but then new problems or variations on the problem arrive, and the strengths the leaders brought to their role no longer match the reality with which they are faced.  Some adapt.  Some don't.

3. MrsLWarner profile image67
    MrsLWarnerposted 5 years ago

I think influence has a lot to do with it, unfortunately, and bribery. They lose their focus and their intent's shift off the path they had originally laid out for themselves.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not all of them do. Only the weak ones. They get tempted, go through difficult times, care too much about those around them, have people around them die. Think of President Lincolin. His son died, he was suffered severe depression, he made a great difference, he was quite intelligent, etc. Think of President Roosevelt. Handicapped, overcame odds, had a strong woman behind him. It just depends who you think of. Each leader has their ups and downs, faults, weaknesses, etc. The best leaders know how to overcome the bumps and grinds in their way.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I believe the leaders start out with noble ideas and a genuine desire to lead the group, the state, the country or whatever into a better situation. Unfortunately, they find out quickly that not everyone will cooperate with them and climb on board.

The constant friction and battle takes up so much of their time, their leadership falls either to ruin or at the very least to extreme judgment and scrutiny.