jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Define cheating in an academic field.

1. meow48 profile image74
    meow48posted 5 years ago

Define cheating in an academic field.

If it is done overtly with the teacher's knowledge, is it really cheating?  Ie: tests being given out for review and pictures were taken of each page, which subsequently became a study guide emailed to the entire class and the teacher.  The teacher's focus the whole semester was team work and has made each member responsible for someone else in the class to get a passing grade.  The student that made up the guide thought he was doing what the teacher wanted and is now on academic probation.

2. TomBlalock profile image82
    TomBlalockposted 5 years ago

I think you'll have to provide more context? Under what conditions was the student given the test? Was it an exception made for just him? There are too many unanswered questions for me to feel confident in any sort of answer. I assume, though, that his emailing it to the teacher would have been testimony to his good intention, and indeed served as a warning to the teacher to change the test itself, as I assume if the students had time to study with it, he or she also had a chance to change it. In fact, in that light, it almost seems like the teacher is blaming his or her own failings on the student, instead of simply changing the test and dealing with the mistake rationally. Students will make mistakes, they are there to learn, not there because they already know.

1. meow48 profile image74
      meow48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

i can only add that the teacher gave the tests out for review purposes... see what you got wrong. this has been done for eons of time,even when i was a kid.  but now with cell phones,photos can be taken. the student is guilty unless he can appeal.

3. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 5 years ago

i don't think that's cheating ... so what if the student took pictures... it's for learning purposes ... the student can review the corrections in depth later to get better grades. what's wrong with that?
    if the school does not have a rule about it then they should make one now for the future.

working