What if a student turns out to be wiser that his teacher!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5692760_f248.jpg
    Shakespeare did go to school one day - did he .like his teachers? Please think...

1. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say the wisest student would learn the most from any teacher. Being wiser than someone wouldn't preclude your ability to learn from them.

2. dinkan53 profile image72
      dinkan53posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Remember one of the quotes:
      The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.
                                                                                                      Khalil Gibran

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A wise teacher knows that a wise student cannot be wiser than himself..
      A wise student knows he cannot be wiser than his teacher..

Wisdom has no standard by which one man can judge the other, but each judge by the standard that he has created for himself and of himself.

So when a fool judges another another he does so by his standard of foolishness, thus making all who doesn't appear like himself unlike himself.. and he is wise.

In the company of fools, to the foolish the wise man looks exactly like themselves.

To appear wise the fools will "parrot" the truly wise and the wise among themselves (fools), thus making themselves known.

The fool will abhor the wise yet they cannot distance themselves from him completely because their own existence and purpose is inextricably knit to him.

The Wise will not obhor the fools because the foolishness of the fools is beneficial to him.

4. stillwater115 profile image60
      stillwater115posted 12 years agoin reply to this

maybe this teacher should be fired or get retired...hah  Happy the holiday season!

5. GNelson profile image61
      GNelsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A wise man can learn from anyone he meets.

6. nifwlseirff profile image93
      nifwlseirffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wisdom is in knowing that there is always something to learn in all situations, and from any person, be they teacher or student.

However, if a student *knows* more about the topic being taught than the teacher, they can help the teacher become more knowledgeable, and learn more about the topic by guiding fellow students.
      In teaching something, you learn just how much you don't know.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

I may be out on a limb here but there isn't much "wisdom" in students , Maturity or gifted intellectualism  maybe , but wisdom ? Unlikely!

3. profile image0

I agree. But then, we actually need to clearly define what wisdom is! That may be difficult to define, as intelligence is hard to define. But then only, and only then, we can scientifically say students may not be wiser. I doubt Shakespeare was not sad to see his teachers everyday with their wisdoms.

4. profile image0

Sadly , No, we don't get to define wisdom , wisdom isn't like the fads of media or the teaching styles of day ! Wisdom is  all about being and becoming wise , and hardly does wisdom  come to youth  but only as we age in years. Are students more intelligent ? Are they quicker to grasp knowledge ? It's possible  but wisdom is hardly a students gift , unless they are generally older. We don't pull wisdom from a book  or a hat ! Maturity ?  A student can be more mature ! Sad part is if any student is wiser than the teacher ; then someone hasen't done their job in hiring the teacher.

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Students are sometimes more intelligent than their teachers. They tend not to get good grades.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.  I know quite a few natural born 'geniuses' who couldn't pay attention in class but got good grades (I guess some don't) because they just 'knew' the subject matter or grasped it easily.  Always daydreaming, doing homework in class, never picking up the book but knowing the material.

At 60, I just graduated college and knew more in many areas than my young teachers.  (Just a different scenerio).

Wisdom is another area. I believe wisdom is gained by continual discrimination and practicing discernment, self control, union of the mind with the moment of absorption (unbroken unitive cognition), witnessing the rise and destruction of distraction, among other things.  Mastery of character and mental impressions allows knowledge of the hidden, the subtle and the distant.

There is knowledge of everything from intuition but we allow ourselves to become encumbered by sensory inputs.  The one who recognizes the distinction begins the journey of wisdom.

6. profile image0

Knolyourself, pay attention here , we're talking wisdom!..lol.....:-}

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

In your example - I guess someone had to teach Shakespeare how to write ?  As for wisdom I guess your question is pretty meaningless, the best student always surpasses his master in time, in every respect, or the master is not doing his job properly.

1. profile image0
      PhenomWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The sockpuppets are still here!

your question is pretty meaningless  -Is this the way you talk to strangers??

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just because I disagree with fools does not make me a sock puppet.

Just because you have nothing to add to this thread does not make you a sock puppet either, a fool maybe, but I guess we can judge that if you ever say anything big_smile

And what makes you think emrldphx is a stranger, unless you are his sock puppet ?

Where did I come into this stranger thing?

read the post I was replying to.

I read it, a conversation between you and Phenom, I just don't follow your logic.

There is no logic - he said we are strangers, I asked if he was your sock puppet.  There is never any logic in religious or quasi-religious threads.

Just because you don't use logic doesn't mean I don't.

2. profile image0

Get ready to be kicked out recommend1

2. mathsciguy profile image60
        mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sock puppets...?

8. knolyourself profile image60

Something from nothing again. Something yes but not much.

Knol, how can you say something from nothing is impossible, but it's possible, but just not much.

Being wiser than someone doesn't mean you know everything they do. If you don't know everything they do, then you can learn from them.

Agree.  The journey of wisdom is about knowing from impressions not book knowledge.  The mastery of the universe in all of its awesome complexity is not beyond our scope of vision.  I believe we are born knowing and learn to forget, or rather if we think of it as layers, we are "layered" with outside influence.  Deep inside, or underneath the layers, is the wisdom we are born with.  It takes practice to become wise although some of wisdoms nuggets make stick out of sheer stubborness.

9. knolyourself profile image60

I have had bad teachers. In fact I learned in college that the trick was to find the good ones.
    Of course there are different levels for different minds; fake gurus for fake students. A good teacher would have to cater to all levels simultaneously. But for me everybody I meet every time I am out is my teacher. Like you say can always learn something. Think the trick is to know what one wants or needs to learn.

Great answer.  And it's likely that we don't know what we need to learn (regarding wisdom) until we actually learn it.

10. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I would have to say that being a student doesn’t mean that you're unwise or anything. My father was a drunk who beat me and treated me like I was a grunt in the Corps. Yet he taught me how to be a father. As a result of his parenting I don't beat my children. I keep alcohol at arms length because he taught me the dangers of it. He taught me how to be a father by showing me ho not to act. As a child I was wise enough to understand this and apply the principles in my life as a father to my children.

Wisdom is relative isn't it? It is varied on life experiences and culture that the individual find themselves in. I for example am a man that believes in Christ. Wisdom for me comes from the teachings of Him and the principles  find the bible combined with experiences I have come through. Though to others the very fact I put stock into the bible in any way makes me unwise in their site. They find wisdom in the mathematic equations for various things in science. Others find great wisdom in martial arts. I by no means am an educated man, I can't speak about mathematic equations and their effects on reality of gravity or whatever and to others that would make me unwise. So wisdom is relative, don't you think?

Absolutely agree.  But math, martial arts and Bible study are not wisdom of themselves.  They can (as can anything) teach us to be wise, teach us the paths perhaps, to wisdom.  One of your important paths was your father. Meditating on anything positive is key to understanding mastery of our own character (in your case studying the Bible is equivilent to meditation).  IMO.

2. profile image53
      MensaGeniusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Being a great father is a wonderful and admirable trait, but has little to do with intelligence and wisdom, generally speaking.  It is more of a moral issue, and knowing what is right.   However having lots of wisdom and emotional intelligence would allow a father to come up with better ideas faster, depending upon the complexity of their lives.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It doesn't matter whether or not a student is wiser than the teacher with regards to learning from the teacher.

If a student thinks they are wiser than the teacher and has nothing to learn from the teacher then the student has a false sense of wisdom based on ego, because a wise (wo)man would know and understand that s/he can always learn from everything and everyone.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

amen and amen wink

1. poeticmentor profile image76
        poeticmentorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

word

2. profile image0

In that case, the teacher should start to learn from the student too. And take classes publicly, from him. And respect them, in public.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

Cags - well said.

Phenom - the teacher (or anyone) does not need to take classes to learn from a student.  The teacher is imparting technical knowledge which he has learned.  Wisdom has nothing to do with it.  IMO.

12. profile image0

Holy cow Cagsil , I agree with you!

13. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

Wisdom isn't the same as knowledge.

Just because someone is wiser than another, doesn't mean they know more. It just means they do more with their knowledge.

If someone thinks they can't learn from somebody else because they are too wise... I would consider that strong evidence that they have very little wisdom.

14. profile image0

I totally agree with you emrldphx. We can learn a great deal from others. If even we study the biggest mistakes that people commit, we can understand a lot about life (Hence is history in class-rooms).

But students always admit they want to learn from people, including their teachers, the things that they do not know.

But do, and can, teachers be brave enough to admit and learn from their students the things they do not know? Some students may teach them some wisdom may be...

What are you babbling about ?

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Phenom - Yes, teachers can.  But only the wise ones.  It's at the moment the mind is in union with the absorption of the knowledge (insight) that wisdom is gained. (and always by degrees).  In other words, we do not learn anything about anything until we are ready to receive it.

15. profile image0

kick...

lol

16. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

Then he will learn more than a more foolish student would do!

17. KrystalD profile image66
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

The should be delighted and use the child's assets to enrich the the whole class.

18. TFScientist profile image78
    TFScientistposted 12 years ago

What if a student turns out to be wiser (or more intelligent) than their teacher? Speaking as a teacher, this is something I strive for. If my students become better than I, then I have done my job perfectly. This tends not to happen below degree level, however.

Ultimately, all pupils should surpass their teachers...else there is no progress

1. GoldenBird profile image58
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi!

..Well said. smile

But isn't there a little grief in that?

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

TFS - IYO, does the system tend to keep the more brilliant (for descriptive purposes) students down in the interest of consistency at the teaching level?

1. TFScientist profile image78
        TFScientistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If anything, I have found the opposite. Average pupils are lauded as Gifted and Talented in order to meet the 10-15% quota for each year group.

The greatest problem is the lack of consistency in how G&T pupils are treated both inter and intra school, district and region.

Is there grief in students exceeding me...perhaps. It is saddening to know that you can teach a pupil no more, particularly where they are enthusiastic and hard working. However, it is yet to happen to me. Not through some arrogant thought of my own ability, but merely that I have not taught to the required difficulty. My pupils leave me at the age of 18, with lots still to learn.

19. BfoBarney profile image60
    BfoBarneyposted 12 years ago

"You can only become truly wise with age" - What a load of garbage! I believe in most cases it can quite easily be the other way round. With age it is easy to become overwhelmed with so much unimportant knowledge, blinding you from what is really useful in life.

So I'm actually quite scared of growing up...

20. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Darth Vader sums it up well: “When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master…”

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/d7/Obiwanvaderanhduel.jpg

1. profile image0
      TrinityCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WIN.

21. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

you mean like Plato and Socrates...

or Batman and Henri Ducard...

or Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi?

22. phillippeengel profile image81
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

What if a student turns out to be wiser that his teacher?

It IS possible.

Some students are far more wiser than teachers. This is evident in their contemplative writings in the form of essays, reflections, etc which differ very much from ''normal'' students. Generally, these students will read a lot of books philosophy, psychology and sociology regularly in order to retain that profound knowledge. In short, they can be seen as precocious teenagers, or even children.

23. profile image0

As any student should first learn , we learn until our last conscious moment of living , my advice is shut up and listen anyway ! The simple mistake of thinking we are "Wiser " than another is short sighted and immature! LISTEN and gain an ounce of wisdom from every fool out there and you will then be truly wise! Wisdom and knowledge are two completely different worlds.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)