jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Should bullying be illegal?

1. thehonestruth profile image61
    thehonestruthposted 5 years ago

Should bullying be illegal?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6573668_f260.jpg

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Well.....perhaps. But then you would have to define bullying. Since "hate crimes" have been made illegal and I think there is at least a general definition of "hate crimes," I think it is reasonable to come up with a definition of bullying, especially since it has become so commonplace and been the focus of attention of professionals who study such phenomena of late. Sure would be nice to live in a world without bullying, wouldn't it?

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

No. I don't think so. I would bullied as a child and it has changed me for the better. I know self defense, three languages, have a good security system, am out of my shell, and focused on taking care of myself from my reactions to being bullied. What we need to teach our children is to overcome the situation of being bullied.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's an either/or situation. We can teach our children how to cope, but we also need to make laws for people who do not know any better. Besides, what law hasn't ever been broken? Laws do not prevent illegal activity - they only deter.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

First, it depends on your definition of bullying. I was bullied, but it was not a criminal offense. The bullying that takes place today, especially the cyber-bullying is criminal and should be treated as such.

Bullying should not be allowed. It did not make me a better person. I think I missed out on some opportunities because I was bullied and I think I would have had more friends, if people were not afraid of the bullies that bothered me.

Bullies need to be educated, but I am not ready for school systems to hire bullies to bully the bullies.

5. thehonestruth profile image61
    thehonestruthposted 5 years ago

Thanks for your responses guys. When I meant bullying, what I was talking about is specifically stated in the first 3(I believe) sentences of my hub ( http://thehonestruth.hubpages.com/hub/i … hatecrimes )

working