jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

If someone were to tell you that they'd been to prison, would you view them diff

1. X-Con profile image79
    X-Conposted 5 years ago

If someone were to tell you that they'd been to prison, would you view them differently?

I spent 8 years in federal prison (of which I write extensively about in my hubs), and I have told quite a few new acquaintances about it. It doesn't seem to affect most of them; but I wonder what's really going through their mind after they hear I was in prison for 8 years for drug trafficking and gun possession. What would you think if someone had told you something like that?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6587783_f260.jpg

2. eternals3ptember profile image59
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

It would make me read your profile... comment later

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

It makes no difference to me as long as they are comfortable telling me WHY they were in jail. I would want to know if I was hanging out with a child abuser.

4. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 5 years ago

For me the important factor would be what they've done to change, either while incarcerated or since getting out. If they're still the person who was imprisoned, I might second guess my opinion of them; but if they've had a real life and heart change, and were using their experience for good, then I honestly would feel privileged to know them (and I know this from experience).

5. Sunshine625 profile image94
    Sunshine625posted 5 years ago

Drug trafficking and gun possession wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't think twice about your incarceration. Ok, I might ask a few questions. I'd hope that you learned your lesson and wouldn't make that mistake again. Now I'm curious and I'll have to read some of your hubs.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i've spent time in prison myself so i don't care if you have. the only thing that would matter is why a person was in there. sex crimes would be the one thing that would change my mind about them and cause them to keep away from me. drugs, guns, stealing, murder aren't things i would hold against them. of course there are always exceptions.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. When someone goes to prison, they see different things and are in an entirely new environment. It makes me wonder if they will be overly jealous, violent, and attentive to the actions of others.
    In your defense, I have never met someone who was caught for drug trafficking and gun possession. Only drug use, violence, alochol misuse, and plenty of warrents for arrest.

8. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

I would have to say that it depends on the crime that they committed, how long ago the it was, and how  much they have changed since then.  People make mistakes, just because someone has been to jail does not necessarily make them a bad person.  I know several people who have been to prison and I don't do anything different with them that I do with anyone else.

working