jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Should we build habitats in space?

1. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 5 years ago

Should we build habitats in space?

With the nearest earth like planet light years away, would it make since for humanity to build large self sustaining space habitats near resources in the solar system?

What do you think?

2. cruelkindness profile image74
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

We are already on our way.

Russia, Japan, and the US are already in the works.
    We also know the laws of physics to be able support travel to these earth like planets.  Starships in pre developing stages. There is some concerns with time in space and time here on earth.

Cruelkindness (Subliminally Thoughtless)

Eugene Hardyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Uh, I was thinking in terms that I would be easier to build habitats the size cities near earth.  I see now that I should have said that. tongue

3. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

It may well be imperative that we think strongly about further space exploration and possible habitats leading to life on other planets. If the course is maintained that we are presently on on our own planet, it will be uninhabitable in the not so distant future. Our biggest concern right now is conserving what we have to survive on, and not so much spending in space exploration. In the future, if we are able to overcome global economic downfall, perhaps we will be in a better position to go ahead with new programs. Only time will tell, and being optimistic is the best route to take.

Hey whonunuwho!

I was thinking in terms of building habitats near earth that be a place to go for excess population because a voyage to the nearest Earth-like planet would be too far away.

I have to get better at this.

4. MilesArmbruster profile image60
    MilesArmbrusterposted 5 years ago

I think it would be cool. Humans in space have lead us to a bunch of different useful technologies and a deeper understanding of our universe. On the other hand, the expense of space travel is enormous, and it is hard to determine whether the cost is worth the expense. If we were able to find valuable and needed resources on the moon, and if we could find a cost effective way to transport the resources where we need them, that might justify the expense. Unless we come up with a new method for getting into space and getting around space, I don't see how we can ever make space travel of any kind into a cost effective venture. I am all for learning, but I don't think, at this point, that we are learning enough to justify the cost.

Actually, I was thinking of building habitats near Earth for growing population due to the fact we have nothing in our technologies that could get us to an Earth-like planet.  Will try to edited my question.

5. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 5 years ago

Yes... DUH!  smile

Seriously though... You've got to be kidding.  Living in space is not much different than living under the ocean or on a hostile planet, and given the Earth-like planets we've found in the galaxy (ie none yet) if we don't take advantage of that real-estate, we're doomed.

Human beings follow the resources.  We like being near where we work and where we get our raw materials from, and resources here on Earth are dwindling, so wherever we find more, that's where humans will go, and where humans go to get those resources, civilians won't be far behind.

One constant of mankind is that we go wherever we can and we live there.  When we fill up a space, we go somewhere new.  I don't see space as being much of a barrier to that in the long run.

Thanks for your answer!

We know we have limited resources, and we do not seem to want to slow our population growth.

I'm sold.

6. Eric Prado profile image76
    Eric Pradoposted 5 years ago

I think building habitats in space would be wise as we can never seem to stop wasting our natural resources here on Earth.

Exactly.

Just with our growth we are going to need more real estate.

working