jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone?

1. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

What is the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone?

2. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Love is something we show by actions, the way we treat the beloved. It comes from the heart and is  that feeling that grows day by day and through the years. We hear of people who get married at maybe 16 or 18 and die together 70 years or more later. I read of a couple who was 80+ and died holding hands, not too long ago. They were so much one that they did nothing without each other! Being in love is not quite the same, I believe it means they have an infatuation type of relationship with the other person, its more in the head, not the heart. Thinking does not cause us to love the person, we cannot convince ourself that we love ourself or another, that comes from  true love.

3. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Being in love is commonly associated with feelings of excitement, often best observed at the beginning of the relationship. Loving is described as caring for as a partner but realizing a loss of the excitement present at the beginning. As long as there is true love, there is a chance to reignite the spark.

4. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

Being in love is more of a temporary condition where the senses and emotions are at their peak. People in love experience obsession, fascination, blindness to flaws and faults, and other very intense emotions. This cannot last forever because it is a distracting and exhausting process. This applies to friendships as well as familial and romantic love.

Loving someone is a more permanent condition where a fixed and immutable form of love exists. Love persists even when trust, respect and patience have been worn out. Even affection can go, but love will still be there in some form.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

loving someone means a willingness to put them before yourself.
    being in love is merely lust.

6. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

There's really no difference.... but we guys infer something by these phrases to keep the ladies off balance.....

7. yssubramanyam profile image60
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

it decides whether the ball in your court or in others court. very hypnotic narration, good hub.

8. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

When I think of loving someone, I think of it more like an action. To me, there are certain things you do when you bestow love upon someone. You do things like respect them and honor them. You support them, hold them up, things like that. I consider being in love tied to an emotion. I think a person can love someone without being in love with them. And, I also think a person can be in love with someone without loving them (without actions). Being in love is a personal, selfish emotion and can even be one-sided. Personally, I would rather have someone love me than to be in love with me.

working