Why don't enough people vote?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Michele Travis profile image66
    Michele Travisposted 11 years ago

Why don't enough people vote?

More than 130 million people turned out to vote Tuesday, the most ever to vote in a presidential election.
    In 2008 the Presidential election
    with ballots still being counted in some precincts into Wednesday morning, an estimated 64 percent of the electorate turned out, making 2008 the highest percentage turnout in generations. This is amazing.  So, why don't people vote?  They blame the president but they don't vote. Is there any reason for this?

2. CJWood71 profile image83
    CJWood71posted 11 years ago

I do not think there is one single reason for why many people do not vote.  I feel that many people believe their vote will not make a difference one way or another.  They feel they would be simply wasting their time going to the polls.

Another factor is the campaigns themselves.  They last so long and the candidates spend more time putting down their opponents.  Voters are not sure who to believe and end up getting frustrated with the whole process.

Last of all, many voters do not believe in the candidates.  They often feel that it is simply trying to pick the least of two evils.  They feel no matter who they elect, it will make little difference in the end.

It is sad to see the lack of concern held by so many.  I feel we all need to do our homework and get involved with how the country is run.

Michele Travisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. There is not a single reason. However, all you need is a computer, you can see what a candidate has done. You can contact a candidate and tell him or her why you like or dislike what they have done.

3. michememe profile image59
    michememeposted 11 years ago

Michele, I can tell you African-Americans haven't voted for years because they didn't think their vote counted. No matter what, everything was against us as a people. As for me, I have always voted, I knew the importance of it through my grandparents and mother. So voting really has never been an option. I cast my first vote at 18 as I should have and haven't missed one election since. When you know better you do better. It's sad for miniorties and women not to exercise this right that many died for.

I am glad you vote. If more African Americans vote the more politicians will help them. At least that is what I believe.

4. Deborah Brooks profile image60
    Deborah Brooksposted 11 years ago

A lot of people I talk to that do not vote thinks it doesn't matter. ..A lot of people don't care. they have no business blaming the president or anyone else if they do not care enough to vote.

Maybe when they see their rights being taken away, then they will care.

2. Rhonda D Johnson profile image60
      Rhonda D Johnsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Our rights are already being taken away and people still don't care.  Take their toys away and then they will care.

3. Michele Travis profile image66

Rhonda you are correct, our rights are being taken slowly. I wonder when they will take the toys away.

4. Rhonda D Johnson profile image60

Oh they'll keep the toys coming as long as we can afford to buy them.  That's part of the illusion.  Tell people they have a right to the toys and they won't notice when their right to an education is taken away.

5. Clive Donegal profile image66
    Clive Donegalposted 11 years ago

We have had too much freedom for too long for many people to appreciate it. Besides, it is easier to complain than to do the hard work of being informed and involved.

That is true, sad but true.

6. H P Roychoudhury profile image41
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 11 years ago

It is most likely that people lost their faith over the political leaders because what they said before election is not done after the election and lot of common people remains the same or rather get deteriorated.

That is true, but we can fire them.  We are the bosses.  If we hire them, then we can fire them.  We can lower their wages. There is a lot we can do, we just need to get together and do it.

7. arb profile image76
    arbposted 11 years ago

This could be a hub. Too often, we are asked to vote for the lesser of two evils, not much of a choice when you dislike them both. This is a subject worthy of  much discussion. Are we getting the best or the best that money can buy? Are we subconsciously refusing to participate in a tainted system? Do lengthy campaings riddled with character assualts, dishonest advertising and anything is fair as long as you win agendas, promote the trust and involvement of the electorate? Refusing to buy products from a corupt company mandates change or ruin for that company. It doesn't work in politics. It won't bring them to ruin. We have to vote just to preserve the integrity of so noble an excercise. We have forgotten that such nobility, whether it brings change or not, preserves the power of individuals to rule themselves. We have some changes to make in campaign laws, term limits and the absurdity of monetary influence upon so noble an endeavor as the voting and selecting candidates. When we force those changes, it will be easier to see the impact of "the people" upon democracy. Until then, too many will refuse to vote for any evil regardless of how they dress it. I understand the apathy, but blaming messenger will not change the message.

You are right, about blaming the messenger.  We also need to tell person we are voting for or against why we are voting for or against them. We need to let politicians know what we want.  WE are the bosses.

8. profile image57
    geordmcposted 11 years ago

Simply put, They don't care as long as their lives can go on with as little disruption as possible

But what will people do when disruption does happen?

cuss and blame the fall guy

3. Michele Travis profile image66

But, will they vote him out? Or just cuss him out. I wish they would just vote him out. That is just my wish.

9. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 11 years ago

Most people don't even know who is running for office.  Much less what is going on in the country.

I don't even know how to comment on this one. I just don't.

it's too true

10. Rhonda D Johnson profile image60
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 11 years ago

Although it is true that people may voice different reasons for not voting, it all boils down to people feeling disillusioned.  They don’t trust the candidates to tell them the truth.  They don’t rust the media to tell them the truth.  They don’t trust the education system to tell them the truth.  These sectors still think the way to deal with people’s disillusionment is to rebuild the illusion.  In an election system where popularity is more important than substance, I don’t think the candidates and the media lie to deceive people.  They lie because they know the truth is something people don’t really want to hear.  Many people don’t want to rebuild the illusion, so they stay home

So, it just goes on and on.

11. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

The non-vote is a vote of "no confidence" in the electoral system. There is almost no difference between a Democrat and a Republican.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)