Have you ever been to Cuba? What was your impression?

1. simone-muller profile image61
    simone-mullerposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been to Cuba? What was your impression?

I am trying to get a sense of the conditions in Cuba. I've never been there, and although I've read about the poor state that it's in, I would like to hear more from people who either lived there or traveld there, to get a sense of the living conditions of its people. If you could provide the year you were there, where you went, and your general impression, that would be great.

2. Josak profile image59
    Josakposted 5 years ago

I lived in Cuba for several years, like all countries there are problems and fundamentally Cuba is a third world country, Americans going there on a visit are likely to consider it poor, having traveled a lot however one can see just how amazing the Cuban success is, people can go to the doctor, there are doctors everywhere, no one starves, almost everyone has a job (I believe unemployment is 2%) people on the job are treated well and Cubans live longer than Americans and the way the country has progressed since the revolution is stunning, Cuba has always been a very poor country and that takes time to change but I think the best way to do it is simply to go from Cuba to Haiti which is very very close and nearly identical in many ways and see the difference, thousands starving in the street, no healthcare, no clean water a life expectancy more than third shorter etc. etc.

As an economist I think that Cuba has been one of the best managed countries economically speaking for some time, on the other hand I don't like some of their social and repressive measures, having said that I lived there for a long time and never felt oppressed.

working