jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Do you enjoy the drama around politics and religion on HubPages, or would you ra

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Do you enjoy the drama around politics and religion on HubPages, or would you rather avoid it?

2. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

In recent months I have grown tired of seeing these types of questions and seek out fun topics. I am a spiritual person myself but even I grow tired of religion on here all the time.

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I'm equally tired of rants about Jesus and rants about atheism. My religion is my own business and not to be put on display or debated.

3. lstCitizen profile image60
    lstCitizenposted 5 years ago

Good question.  I would rather avoid it, but I'm growing tired of the constant attacks against my faith.  I'm disgusted that I can't raise my children in a moral and decent culture.  I'm up against policies that force gay agendas and promote safe sex in the government schools and mandate that I be taxed to pay for contraception and abortions.  All these are repugnant to me. If I claim to be a Christian but am unwilling to speak up for my Lord, then I wouldn't be much of anything.  Sure, I'd rather avoid the confrontations, but I've had enough.  I don't enjoy the drama, but I am compelled to challenge anyone who attacks my faith.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image93
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is (almost) my point as well. I'm tired of being attacked because I am a non believer. It's not like we eat babies and burn churches. A little respect goes a long way, unfortunately I don't get a lot of it from Christians.

4. Georgie Lowery profile image93
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I've gotten really sick of the verbal brawls and the name calling on religious and political questions, especially when it's clear that the person asking the question is only looking for validation of his or her own stance. I was recently involved in a mess of a question that stated up front that it's poster believed all atheists to be stupid. Normally I won't jump on those things but, being an atheist, I was highly offended. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, I fully expect it. But to be treated so rudely and without respect makes me ill.

1. lstCitizen profile image60
      lstCitizenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree totally.  There's no reason why we can't explain why we believe as we do.  We ought to be able to respectfully disagree, and count on each other not to be offended by the other.  Some can, but many just can't keep it respectful.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I was always taught that the three topics that you shouldn't bring up in polite company are: money, politics and religion. So I simply avoid discussions of all three. My political and/or religious views ain't nobody's biz but my own.

I agree with you, but I'm afraid I've now impolitely brought it up.

6. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

Love, love. love it!  I get to learn about different perspectives and points of view, and see where people agree and disagree.  I think it's a great way to expand our minds.

Interesting. I guess a lot of people must feel the same, otherwise it wouldn't be such a popular topic.

7. RavenBiker profile image61
    RavenBikerposted 5 years ago

Heck, I not only likeit but I'd like to create it!  Though I am a little deficient in creating it.  :-(  That way I know I'm being read!  :-)

working