jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

If you were offended by Chris Rock's "happy white independence day" tweet, why?

1. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

If you were offended by Chris Rock's "happy white independence day" tweet, why?

First off please discuss your opinion and experience and do not troll to vote down those who add to the discussion. Second if you do not know exactly what he said, please answer another question. Best regards.

2. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

What he said is true so I don't have a problem with it, he knows American history. However, he stated undeniable facts and is not wrong with his statement.

3. Georgie Lowery profile image96
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I wasn't offended in the least. He is known for speaking his mind and I admire him for it. His Independence Day view is unpopular with some, but that doesn't make it any less true.

1. Express10 profile image87
      Express10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

What I don't understand is why some people are so angry about someone speaking the truth. Perhaps they'd be happier with lies?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image96
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Express10, I think that some people get very angry when other people's opinions make them feel bad. Plus, what's important to you or me might be trivial to someone else. It's all a matter of opinion, maybe?

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Black slaves didn't reap the benefits of Independence in 1776. They were still slaves after that. Native American Indians didn't get anything out of Independence Day. They were destroyed during the Revolution and after. French settlers in the Midwest, New Orleans, and St. Louis didn't celebrate independence day. They were "bought" by the US government in 1803. Spanish settlers in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and California didn't celebrate 1776 independence. They were conquered or bought between the 1790s and the the 1850s. Russian settlers and Inupiats in Alaska became US citizens in the 1860s--they had not heard of this 1776 concept. Hawaiians became US citizens in 1897 against ther own will. they were followed by Puerto Rico and Guam. The many Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Southwest Asia, and Mexican immigrants' ancestors had no game in the 1776 Independence. So it is a white Independence Day. So what?

1. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you actually think there were immigrants from all of those places in 1776? Most were not even here then. Yes, blacks and Native Americans, but really, Vietnamese? Mexicans? Reality check.

working