Why are people offended when others don't accept their faith? If you are sure, w

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. treasuresyw profile image62
    treasuresywposted 14 years ago

Why are people offended when others don't accept their faith? If you are sure, why be upset?

Christ never tried to convince anyone to believe in him. He had a purpose, lived it out and people believed on the power of God within him. Why get so defensive?

2. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

That's a good question.  I have wondered it myself many times.

I suspect the answer is pretty simple: No matter our faith experience or choice, we remain human which means we are full of pride & ego.  We may/should be in the process of growth & development, but pride & ego are kind of like dandelions in that they have deep roots & are difficult to eradicate. 

We are also tribal in nature & all too often get deceived into thinking we have something to protect.

Personally, I believe what I believe quite passionately, but if somone chooses to believe differently that is entirely their choice & decision. 

My responsibility is to be true to what I say I believe, which means that I MUST respect those who have a different belief or perspective.  And hope that I receive respect in return, but even if I do not, I am not released from the responsibility to respect them.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 14 years ago

Two things have truly set me free from feeling offended when people either reject the Word or attack me, when indeed they are attacking the Word:

First, the Word of the Lord is the "Seed".  When we understand that we are the bond-servants who sow the Seed, yet it is only God that brings the increase, we realize we are not responsible for how that Seed is received.

Second, when someone is truly "convicted" by the Holy Spirit, s/he will feel a sense of guilt (conviction) and may react with anger or hostility.  We are to rejoice in our hearts when we are insulted, hated, etc. because great is our reward!  This is because the "Seed" penetrated!!  The hearer is truly not fighting with us, but struggling within and with the Spirit of God ~ hopefully, bringing them to salvation.  AMEN!!

4. Theophany profile image62
    Theophanyposted 14 years ago

If people get defensive, it's either because of their ego or they're insecure of their own faith. They feel they must defend themselves at all costs to perhaps give themselves an extra sense of security.

However, if a person is genuinely and relentlessly trying to convince you, they probably sincerely love you. I mean, just think about it. The people in your life who have never given up on you are the ones who truly love you. Their certainty in the faith is the reason why they're so adamant that you believe too. By the way, Jesus commanded his followers to believe him countless times. He isn't "defensive" in the way a lot of people are today, but regardless, you can sense he was convicted of the reality he was speaking of: the impending judgment of God upon those who did not repent, the free grace of God offered to undeserving sinners, etc.

As a Christian, if I see a multitude of people walking straight towards a cliff, wouldn't it be the right and loving thing to do all that I can to stop them? In fact, it would be very unloving if I did nothing! I might try to yell out to the people, stand in their way, or even tackle them down so as to prevent them from walking off that cliff. Any person who had eyes to see would be grateful for the tackle and not hate me for showing them the cliff.

5. treasuresyw profile image62
    treasuresywposted 14 years ago

"My responsibility is to be true to what I say I believe, which means that I MUST respect those who have a different belief or perspective. And hope that I receive respect in return, but even if I do not, I am not released from the responsibility to respect them."

I appreciate the other answers, but here is what made me smile. How would you feel if someone came to you and told you that everything that you believe was a lie and had some things that made sense to show you? Would it move you or would you be steadfast in what you were taught or the thing that rest true with your spirit? You would more than likely remain true to your faith.

This is what others want. They want the respect that we would want.

Jesus had followers and for those followers it was vital that they believe on him because if they didn't there would be division. He and the disciples went all over healing and teaching about Our Creator and the power of God. He displayed that power and taught the disciples how to activate their power as well. This was done through faith. Things were accomplished through faith. Faith & love is key.

We can talk until we are blue in the face, but faith can't be forced. Faith is what most people have in what they believe, this is the reason it works for them. To shatter that by I'm right and you're wrong is against scripture. Romans 14 says that one must be convinced within themselves.

So, I'm not saying not to share your message. What I am saying is that no one has the right to be angry or argue things. Scriptures have been altered. Doctrines have been added. This denomination has their thing that makes them different. We must respect each other rather we agree or not because the real truth is that there are bits and pieces of God's full truth everywhere. And only He can bring it all together. Our job is simply to show love.

6. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 14 years ago

You know what treasuresyw I was just telling my wife the same thing.  These Christians sure are uptight for people who are the only ones not going to hell after they die. They say it's because they love you but they sure act like they hate you if you don't accept their God.  Creeepy. Some of them actually seem like they are enjoying the fact that you're going to hell. Some part of them feels like they are going to be vindicated in some major way and "you'll be sorrrreee." I always feel like they get some sadistic joy and peace from the thought of seeing your face as Jesus wisks them up to heaven and you are left here to be tortured by the devil and his minions. Because they're special to God and you're not.  Creeeeepy.

7. Unchained Grace profile image60
    Unchained Graceposted 14 years ago

The underlying reason for some is the unresolved questions in their own mind. Experiences which have occurred they don't have a clear answer for. Many Christians need to understand God will allow something to happen for a reason. When we don't know that reason, or the answer has not become clearly evident to us, we're in that grey area.

Some, to answer your question directly, take it personally. They don't see past the apparent direct attack on your person they feel is happening when in reality the person who won't accept your faith won't accept it because of past negative experiences.

They haven't learned how to make the people/God split yet in terms of blaming or not blaming God for something. If they don't accept, it is what it is. Pray for them sincerely and move on.

8. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 14 years ago

People get offended because of their insecurity.  If a person knows something to be a fact then they should not get offended.  If they have doubt then when you challenge a core belief with some people it touches a very sensitive nerve.  I do not know many people who want to think the world they live in is a lie, so if the "God" or religion that they serve and their ancestors have served is wrong, that is a situation that would make people uncomfortable and defensive. It doubt and weak faith that make people get offended on disagreements based on faith..

9. mer-french4c profile image57
    mer-french4cposted 13 years ago

Many years ago (about 25-27 years ago), I decided to stop using the traditional names for the Saviour and utilize the Hebrew names (Y'shua, ehYah-huweh).  You would have thought that I talked about someone's Mama!!!  Even those individuals who were not particularly religious felt, believed that I had some how abandoned the faith. 
    I so wanted to tell them that it took months of research, going to libraries that had large sections of religious material.   It wasn't a snap decision.  I wasn't doing this for myself, I was also doing this for my child who at the time was nine years old.
    Was I alienated from friends and family?  Sad to admit but yes! 
    The years have taught me that one day you may stand alone:  parents do pass away, friends, family members and associates can and do move on. 
    Was it worth it?  Yes!  I had a questions that no one was able to answer for me:  what did the Israelite of the time of EXODUS have and why didn't I have it? 
    What made my faith different than theirs. 
    Who did they call and why was I calling on someone different (there were several prominent notations in the scripture about the importance of HIS NAME;  for HIS NAME sake and yet, it was different.
    DID it make a difference?  Yes, to me it did.  If this is a contractual agreement embodied in HIS NAME, would there be changes (voiding of those terms) if the contract (NAME) changed?  How can an individual be held to its terms if changes occurred?
    When you are in danger or in a less than savoury place, when you can on that name, do you get a proper response (honestly)?  Or even if you are not aware of the danger, does the GRACE MODE kick in? 
    If you don't or more precisely, you feel your prayers are not answered, could this be the reason or do you "blow it off" by saying to yourself: "He never lays more burdens (on us) than we can bear."
    I have always felt that ones faith is personal and there are occasions when one needs to "mind ones own spiritual business" but the Bible does state to prove ALL things... and you know the rest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)