Is getting a photo id really so hard to do?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. KK Trainor profile image61
    KK Trainorposted 11 years ago

Is getting a photo id really so hard to do?

The Supreme Court has ruled that obtaining photo id is not an impediment to voting in this country, so why do liberals always claim that it suppresses the right to vote? Is it really so hard for people to go get an id so that they can buy alcohol, drive and just go about their daily lives? It's actually against the law not to carry id anyway, so if stopped by police you can be charged. Why not just get one?

2. The Frog Prince profile image71
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

Obtaining a "valid" photo ID is the key to the question I believe.  The states that have been enacting voter ID laws, in most cases, are willing to supply the ID free of charge.  You have to prove who you are for even some of the most mundane tasks of life but not to vote?

1. profile image0
      DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Supplying the ID free of charge is one thing - the supporting documents are not necessarily free. I don't necessarily disagree with the ID requirements but they can be costly even if the ID is free.

3. chuckd7138 profile image71
    chuckd7138posted 11 years ago

It is definitely against the law to drive without having your driver's license on your person. However, one isn't required to carry identification at all times.
    You do have a point though. It is not that difficult to obtain an ID, especially a "garden-variety" photo ID ... meaning not a driver's license. All it takes is a birth certificate, some form of other verification of residence and a nominal fee, usually around $10. In most states, you can register to vote at the same time, and you receive your voter's registration card in the mail about a week or two later. It is extremely easy.

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wrong! SS does NOT accept a certified BC post 911 (unless you are a foreigner. You need a photo ID to get a photo ID. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-replace-pho … 06441.html

2. KK Trainor profile image61
      KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is SS? Social Security? We're talking about getting a simple id from a DPS/DMV office. I got one after 911 and had to provide a BC and Social Security card or passport. Everyone should have either a photo id or passport from somewhere.

3. chuckd7138 profile image71
      chuckd7138posted 11 years agoin reply to this

ptosis, maybe you should read my comment again. I never said anything about getting a SS card. Also, in the state of FL, to get a photo ID w/o having a photo ID, one needs a valid BC, 2nd form of residence verification & $10. I'm not wrong.

4. ptosis profile image68

Yes, That's great for a person who has a house, bills, a mailing address. I guess you'll never figured out that homeless people are stuck there not just for drugs or drink but from the system. (damn - I couldn't believe myself at first)

5. KK Trainor profile image61

Chuck, it's the same in Texas, and many other states. I don't know how someone wouldn't have some type of BC or passport, unless homeless maybe. They probably would have a hard time, but I'm sure there is a way. It may be a pain, but not impossible.

6. chuckd7138 profile image71

In January 2004, I was homeless for only two days, a very long and extremely cold two days. Fortunately, I still had all of my IDs and required documents. Therefore, I understand that for some maintaining these things are difficult.

7. KK Trainor profile image61

I have had to get copies of various docs over the years in order to do things; getting BC was a pain but necessary for DL. Each state seems to do it differently. But a citizen of this country should always be able to prove who they are somehow.

8. ptosis profile image68

I'm just(still) angry that SS will accept a BC from a person outside the USA, but will not accept a certified BC if born in the United States.  if already have a SSN - that seems unfair to citizens who should have more rights than a non-citizen.

4. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6869860_f260.jpg

Has anybody lost everything and try to regain their life back post -911 and found out that you are a non-person with less rights than a foreigner who walked across the border without documentation?

Did you know that if you do NOT have photo ID and were ticketed for jay-walking that you can be arrested because "fingerprints don't lie". You can't enter a shelter for the homeless without a photo ID.

Why is it my friend, who was ex-military in the USN couldn't get  a photo ID even with the help of a JAG friend? I was so pissed off about the whole thing that this is one of my very first writings because I just couldn't believe what was happening to my friend and I was sure that it was happening to a lot of other people also.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-replace-pho … 06441.html

"This piece of information is not documented anywhere on SSA's website, information pamphlets or posters." How to get a photo ID without a photo ID!

Think about all those folks in natural disasters where entire towns are gone. Now you know why they are digging in the wreckage, it's not photographs  but for any ID to get help. BTW - need a photo ID to register to vote, that registration card can get you a photo ID.

I don't understand why I can't use my fingerprints to get a photo ID when the states are taking your fingerprints when getting a photo ID.

How do I apply for disaster relief? Hah! you need Photo ID. So now is the time to have spare ID (copies won't do) and send to relatives in a different state? (can you trust them?)

Ok, but that wasn't my question. I didn't ask it so you could talk about your article. We are talking about state id, not social security cards.

2. chuckd7138 profile image71

My wallet was stolen 3 yrs ago. As soon as I realized it, which was within an hour, I was able to cancel my debit card, and therefore, able to provide relief there. However, I replaced my DL & SS card within a day. Wasn't easy, but wasn't impossi

3. ptosis profile image68

Why so hostile? There are 2 ways to get a PhotoID without a PhotoID: Get arrested or go to the ER. That'll serve as your ID for 21 days to get a photo ID. I answered your question - is it hard? ' YES!!!!

5. profile image0
    DMartelonlineposted 11 years ago

For the record: I'm not a Liberal.  It is NOT against the law to carry an identification card.  Let's take me for example: I gave up my driver's license in 1991 since I was legally blind. At the time I was also divorced and had changed my name back to my maiden name.Now one would think that my driver's license would be enough to secure my new identification card right? Not so fast because I didn't go for the ID for a full year after I gave it up.

I was then required to provide:

Certified birth certificate (cost $10)
    Certified divorce decree (prove my name changed) (cost $20)
    Document proving residency (a utility bill would have sufficed but my utilities were included in my rent so I had to pay for a copy of my lease (cost $1)
    My social security card (which I of course had to wait for since it had my married name on it) (Cost $0)
    Time invested (MORE HOURS THAN I WANT TO THINK ABOUT)
    Plus $25 payable to the MA DMV

I am over 50 so I definitely do not need ID to get booze
    I am over 50 so I can buy smokes without an ID
    All of my banking is handled through PayPal so I have no checks to deal with - ever

Nothing you present may be over 60 days old either.  I'm pretty lucky in reality since I do have a valid passport which prevents a lot of these issues. I have no MA ID otherwise.

Is that too much trouble to go to in order to be allowed to vote?

2. profile image0

This may not seem like "too much trouble" but after voting for more than 30 years I'd be pretty unhappy to find out 3 months before voting day that this had to be done. I don't drive and these things DO take time. Also, free isn't "free" is it?

3. KK Trainor profile image61

Well lots of things aren't free, but voting is not a right it's a privilege so if it matters then someone can make the small effort to get an id. Most states have free ones for those in need anyway. If yours doesn't maybe you could change that.

4. profile image0

You are misinformed: Voting is a right not a privilege. It has been a right since the Voting Rights Act in 1965 http://library.clerk.house.gov/referenc … t_1965.pdf
      You also missed my point about voting for >30 years....

5. KK Trainor profile image61

Excuse me but I'm from the South where the Voting Rights Act actually applies. It is not a right, it is a privilege protected from discrimination because of past wrongs in our states. The right is to be able to get to the polls, not to actually vote.

6. profile image0

I think you don't understand that while this amendment granted certain voting rights, voting was ALWAYS a right (with certain requirements) http://www.lwvabc.org/pubs/history_of_vote.html

7. chuckd7138 profile image71

Despite your VRA link, it's definitely a privilege. Rights can't be revoked, but privileges can. Convicted felons lose their privileges to vote. I've a relative that way. She needs reinstatement from the state to vote. I don't like it, but it's fact.

8. profile image0

False - Civil rights (which voting is) may be revoked at any time. Just look at some of the "rights" which were suspended or changed after 9/11.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_ … m02452.htm

9. chuckd7138 profile image71

Thank you. I've been thoroughly educated.

Maybe I was thinking "unalienable rights", which are rights that cannot be taken away. Or will you find a way to dispute that as well?

10. profile image0

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, and I never said that voting was an unalienable right.  By their nature, unalienable rights are not subject to laws by their very nature.

11. KK Trainor profile image61

Here is another link, this one demonstrates both sides of the argument. If you're interested.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.answ … nID=000646

12. profile image0

Fascinating! If someone is going to cast a fraudulent vote, chances are they are *not* going to show up at the polls, but they will cast an absentee ballot.  I don't know how good an ID is when they can be so easily recreated. How much fraud is there

13. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rights can be taken away from an individual upon Due Process!

6. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

There is absolutely no law in the United States requiring a citizen to have an Identification card on their person.  You have to orally reveal your name to a Police Officer upon request, that is the only requirement under law. 

Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada

Even speaking your name to a Police Officer is not necessary under certain circumstances.

"Fifth Amendment privilege might apply in a situation where there was a reasonable belief that giving a name could be incriminating"

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong. Many states require photo id to be shown when requested by police, including the one I live in. If you refuse to show id you can be taken to jail for faliure to provide id.

2. profile image0

Statutes in Texas: http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal … /case.html
      ..to detain .. require him to identify himself violated the Fourth .. the officers lacked any reasonable suspicion to believe appellant was .. engaged in criminal conduct.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Show me the law.  No ID, no criminal charges, no fines, nothing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)