jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

If you could be the President of the US of A , do you believe you could make a d

1. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

If you could be the President of the US of A , do you believe you could make a difference?

We read and speak of criticism directed toward the current President and many who have come before him. If you became President, do you think it would be possible to turn things around? Sorry, "I wouldn't want the job" is not an answer in this case, please.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6952583_f260.jpg

2. nmdonders profile image83
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

I'd like to think I would but at the same time I just think there is a lot that regular people don't know about.  There are negotiations, meetings, etc. that are so intense, with difficult subjects to deal with, and difficult to understand, that I think I'm not capable of handling.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

NO. I am afraid to fly. Therefore, I couldn't hold office. smile

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I suppose that would depend a lot on congress and the senate.  Everyone puts everything on the current sitting president all the time, but the fact of the matter is the president doesn't act alone.  It is the actions - or typically the lack thereof in the other areas that creates difficulty in enacting changes.

5. Mitch Alan profile image81
    Mitch Alanposted 5 years ago

I believe my policies would be helpful to the Republic. I have a platform and it would not be accepted by all, but that would not be how I would decide whether or not to implement them. The Constitution would be my guide and not public opinion or political correctness. I would work with Congress to return the federal government to it's 10th Amendment constraints. I would veto any law not meeting the Constitutional framework given to the federal government and would demand a true balanced budget that is balanced by a major reduction in spending and tax cuts, and not by a shell game.

6. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The first thing all presidents should do is faithfully execute the laws of the United States. That means a president must enforce them as they are, without selective application, ignoring those he may dislike, or declaring new meanings in those he may want to read differently. He must stay within the boundaries set by the law. Presidents after all are executive officers, not legislators. They are to do as congress instructs, and nothing more.

Were I president, that would be the first directive to all members of the executive branch. Anyone officer or employee who overstepped his authority and did otherwise would be fired and perhaps prosecuted.

That alone would make a vast difference in the conduct of the federal government. I wish there were a candidate on the ballot now who would do it. Unfortunately, there is not.

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I have some ideas, but there are parts of the Presidency that I would not want to do, including sending men and women into war, refusing or granting pardons and all the ceremonial garbage you have to contend with.

8. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

No, I don't think so, Besides,I wouldn't have the guts or fortitude to do so. I think that taking office is the absolute cure for idealism.

working