This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Why do people believe a Muslim, a Buddhist or a Jew cannot be President.

1. steveso profile image79
    stevesoposted 5 years ago

Why do people believe a Muslim, a Buddhist or a Jew cannot be President.

During this election campaign many people are falsely accusing Obama of being a Muslim. Why can't a president be a member of a religion other than Christianity?

2. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Many people are prejudiced. Many people believe the Bush conspiracy theory and don't look into the facts that 9/11 was an inside job. That distorts their perception and biases their beliefs.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The same reason many people are throwing mud at Romney's Mormonism: they think it works as a negative campaign tactic.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I have no problem with a Jewish President. Muslims DO NOT LIKE AMERICANS. Plain and simple. It says in the Koran to smile at non-believers on the outside, But hate them inside within your heart. Muslims think to actually kill a Jew or an American will earn them favor with allah. Wake up people. Spend some time around these people without them knowing your faith? Then you will see.

1. steveso profile image79
      stevesoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I live in a predominantly Muslim country and I have no problem. I think you are confusing Muslim extremists with mainstream Muslims. There is a difference, much like the Christian right and mainstream Christians.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are right. But, The extremists are all I have dealt with?

5. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Has a Buddist, Muslim, or Jewish person ever run for president? Maybe it's time to test the waters and see what would happen.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Joe Lieberman was a vice presidential candidate; he's Jewish. I don't recall it being a problem back then.

2. joanwz profile image74
      joanwzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah. I forgot about Joe Lieberman. You're right it wasn't a problem. It would still be interesting to watch what happens with other future candidates of non-Christian beliefs.

3. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but I do believe it will be a cold day in hell before a Muslim is elected President here; too much pain and death has been caused by their extremists. Other religions don't tell their believers to kill nonbelievers, they preach tolerance.

6. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

Britain and Ireland have both had Jewish Prime Ministers, even though there is a relatively small Jewish population in both countries, compared to the U.S.A.  I don't see why there shouldn't be a Jewish President.  People used to think there would never be a black President.

The problem with electing someone from a minority race or religion is that others suspect that person will be biased against them and will support measures that help his/her group at the expense of others. It helped that Barack Obama was mixed race - white people would not think he secretly hated them. The problem is one of trust rather than skin color or religion as such.

Because of Islamic extremism, a Muslim President is not on the cards. That might be unfair to moderate Muslims, but that's the way it is. There aren't so many Buddhists in the U.S.A. so they are not well understood. It might seem a bit way out to people for a candidate to be a convert to Buddhism. If you were oriental and born into Buddhism, the problem might be more racial than religious as many areas in the U.S.A. have few or no orientals in the population. The voters have to accept you as "one of us", but in the U.S.A. there is such a wide range of people that no racial background should be a immovable barrier.

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Steveso. You just helped me get an accolade I didn't even know existed smile

7. Weddy See profile image54
    Weddy Seeposted 5 years ago

Simply because President not yet reach the level of "God".

working