What course of action should the United States Take in the Middle East consideri

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 11 years ago

What course of action should the United States Take in the Middle East considering recent events?

Given the uprising in violence, political murder of the US ambassador, and the seemingly unstable social structure of the middle east... what do you THINK the US should do?  I am looking for public opinion, and foreign opinion. I may not agree with you but I encourage you to participate.... no judgements!  Have at it people!!!

2. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

Run like hell and put a fence around the US! That's my first thought but my logical mind says move very slowly, get all the facts, move very slowly. Give diplomacy a chance to act before the hotheads and warmongers react.

3. adjkp25 profile image89
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think it really matters what we do over there.  These areas have been unstable for a very long time and I don't think our attempts at establishing democracy are going to fix all of the problems.

Take this video that supposedly spawned the embassy attacks.  Here in the US we would write it off as someone making a video because they wanted to, the majority of our population wouldn't take it as gospel.  In some of these other countries they do take it as real, just like it came from the White House so they lashed out at the embassy.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic but it is hard to improve a place when this is the kind of thinking they have.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I think they are trying to tell us that they want our government out of their country and their affairs. Maybe we should listen to them. What right (or money) do we have to police the world?

1. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks professor. Of course we were doing something. Our state department funnels money to paramilitaries and bribes dictators for cheap land leases. We've been doing it since the 1940s. No one blows up an embassy for no reason.

2. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now storming British German embassies in Sudan - who had nothing to do with the stupid film " Innocence of Muslims" so out policy is not the reason why. 40% unemployment is & use the west as a focus of frustration instead of civil war?

3. Mazzy Bolero profile image69
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are attacking both British and German embassies, as well as burning Israeli flags - those had nothing to do with the film.  The film is just an excuse.

5. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7155590_f260.jpg

Abenob Nakoula Bassely (on probation for a bank fraud conviction), posed as Sam Bacil is not a Israeli real estate developer but linked to the hate group called American Coptic Assembly  (not to be be confused with the The Coptic Assembly of America). The film was designed to destabilize the Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood / Arab Spring.

The film itself doesn't matter because that was posted several months ago - it's the translation by Morris Sadek of the National American Coptics Assembly that did it.

6. WannaB Writer profile image87
    WannaB Writerposted 11 years ago

I have always thought giving money and military training to these countries was  a mistake. It has seemed foolish to me that we should supply weapons, train their militaries, and send financial aid. They have turned the weapons and training against our soldiers way too often. Money does not turn enemies into friends. I think foreign aid to our enemies, whatever we call it, should stop immediately. And we should be allowed to drill for or produce our own energy, green or not.

It won't happen during this administration, and I hope this administration will not hastily attack to score political points for appearing "tough." To be fair, it seems all politicians think they need to pour money into these countries that hate us and will continue to hope for our downfall. I think this kind of foreign aid should stop no matter who the next president it.

As to what else we should do, I'm no expert in foreign affairs. I would hope that Obama would consult with Bush and Clinton before doing anything rash. His own state department has not been on top of foreign policy and Obama has not bothered to attend half his intelligence briefings. Had the state department and Obama been paying more attention and taken the necessary precautions, we wouldn't be in this current predicament. What is the point of having unarmed Marines defend our diplomats?

7. Mazzy Bolero profile image69
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I think the west should stand together on this. Historically, the Suez crisis back in the 1950s told the Arab world that the west was weak and disunited - we need to show that we are now strong.  The Arab world has a very different culture to ours. Showing strength and saving face is everything. Being top dog is everything. Sadly, you don't get anywhere by being weak and wishy-washy, trying to be so diplomatic and listen reasonably to their point of view. To them, that's just weakness. The political extremists are manipulating the mob and it's not hard to do. You don't want to give them more ammunition, but you do have to show that you are in control.

As for it all being our fault for wanting their oil, they get their wealth by selling it to us. We like to think of ourselves as the bad guys - maybe it's time to stop that. They never do that. There's probably right and wrong on both sides.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)