jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What 3 political changes would you make if you had the chance to?

1. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 5 years ago

What 3 political changes would you make if you had the chance to?

What 3 things bother you more than any others? What would you change and why?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Only 3? lol

I would eliminate PAC's and Super PAC's first and make it to where all elections are publicly funded with a set amount per viable candidate.  This would eliminate corruption and buying of politicians.  It would also level the playing field.

After that, I'd work on cleaning lobbyists out of Washington all together - too much corruption.  At the very least, there would be laws guaranteeing politicians could not serve as lobbyists for at least five years before and after a term.

Finally, term limits - no one needs to be a congressman or senator indefinitely.  It is a breeding ground for never-ending corruption once they get dug in.

1. lone77star profile image85
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think term limits would solve it. So long as there is corporate subversion, they could have a lineup of candidates to rotate through Washington, doing their bidding.

3. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I would remove corporate influence in Washington (corporations are no longer "people," and corporations can have no representation at all in Washington).

Restore the Constitution, immediately!

Arrest, jail and/or execute all traitors who betrayed their oaths of office. Put the fear of the law in the bastards who thought they were above the law, including those nasty Rockefellers.

Aaron Russo on Microchips, 9/11 and War on Terror Hoax

5 minutes on 9/11 (so funny)

... so that nothing like 9/11 will ever again be perpetrated on our own citizens. And to keep the world safe from the Evil Empire America has become

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I would create a law requiring all politicians to be fair and honest in their advertising and also insist that they give complete, true facts when presenting issues to the public.

We are losing our credibility as a nation because of all the lying that has been going on in recent years.

5. Admiral Murrah profile image71
    Admiral Murrahposted 5 years ago

I believe three changes that would improve the political process would be 1) return the number of people represented by each US representative to 30,000 as it was originally set up. Presently each representative answers to about 700,000 people which means they only listen to the powerful and large blocks of voters. Lowering the number of people represented would also reduce the influence of PACs and influence peddling in DC.

2) Repeal the 17th amendment and allow the States to appoint the Senators rather than have them elected by the people. This would serve to empower the States and reduce the influence peddling in the US Senate. Such a change would also reduce the need for term limits. By allowing the State representatives to select the Senators, they would listen more to the people and local needs in making their selection. It would also reduce the amount of politicking done in the Senate.

3) Require that any legislation passed by the Congress apply to them as well. By forcing them to live with the laws they pass, we would see some changes in the kinds and types of legislation passed. Presently, they often exempt themselves from laws they force on others. Such a policy is not good law making nor is it fair by any stretch of the imagination.