jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How do you research the candidates running for office this year?

1. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

How do you research the candidates running for office this year?

2. profile image0
    An AYMposted 5 years ago

I went to their individual websites where they list information about themselves and their views on policies.  Then I look for information on how they have actually acted in past on the issues which are specifically important to me, to see if the claims are truthful.

Seeing them debate is also important to me.  It matters to me to see if they answer questions more directly or more in the traditional political style of running in circles without ever declaring a stance.  The little pieces of body language are also relevant to my feelings, but never so much that I would base my position on it.

3. FitnezzJim profile image84
    FitnezzJimposted 5 years ago

Visit a web-site called TheGreenPapers.com, find your State and the election you are interested in, then visit each of the candidates web-sites.  For Virginia for example, the site provides information on candidate web-sites for US President, US Senate, US House, VA governor, VA Attorney General, and VA Lietenant Governor elections.  All fifty States are listed, as well as American Somoa, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, and the Virgin Isles.  Congress has representatives from all fifty-six states and territories (territories send non-voting representatives), and Senators from the 50 States.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I would start by doing a basic bio search on Wikipedia.com, then going on to snopes.com, factcheck.org and politifact.com to get unbiased information regarding specific questions about the candidate.

This is a much better way to learn about a person than to listen to the spin masters, and at least you can get the truth.

1. Perspycacious profile image82
      Perspycaciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And a lot better than buying into the spin of the campaign ads, too.  Romney is not a selfish demon, and Obama is not the greatest president.  Both are capable.  Do the research.

5. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

I use http://ballotpedia.org    It is kind of like Wikipedia.  It is good for researching the pros and cons of propositions because it tells you which party and which organization are supporting which side of the proposition.

6. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I use the internet and ignore most of the Corporate Party media spin.

I've gained my greatest insight through YouTube -- video evidence of the shenanigans the Corporate Party is pulling to keep both of their candidates -- Obamney and Rombama in the spotlight and to marginalize everyone else.

And I've used YouTube to garner evidence of the erosions on our Constitution that continue to occur.

For instance, both halves of the Corporate Party presidential convention have effectively eliminated voting and Roberts Rules of Order. They seem to go through the motions, but it's a scripted sham.

RNC Scripted:

DNC Scripted:

1. profile image0
      An AYMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do any of your posts not involve liberal use of the word "Corporate"?  Also, YouTube is an even less reputable source than Wikipedia.