jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why do some people from the U.S. act like no other country has helped them?

1. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

Why do some people from the U.S. act like no other country has helped them?

i saw a question on here today asking if any other country will help the U.S. after "Sandy". my country, Canada is already helping and we also helped after Katrina. i'm insulted that so many people in the U.S. don't seem to know this. we also helped after 9/11, the hostage taking in Iran and many other times.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I think it is because we are not aware of the help. The news media of course tells us nothing about this, but I'm sure I can speak for many, many, Americans and say how much we appreciate the help from your Country Canada! Thank you!!

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 5 years ago

I believe the "no help" comments are manly aimed at those countries that we send million upon millions of our tax dollars (confiscated money) to and receive nothing in return. I don't believe most understand what the poeple (and possibly the government) of Canada have, and are doing...So, for that we thank you.

4. f_hruz profile image75
    f_hruzposted 5 years ago

Even Cuba offered to help during Katrina!

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think most people are referring to the financial aspect.  And we have to remember here that SOME of the questions are either poorly posed or seem to be posed by people who are not very well-read or well-informed (I know, I know, I can see the protests now - I am saying "some" not all, or most)

By the way - thank you Canada - I appreciate your help and support.

6. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

I think a lot more international help goes on than you realize nightwork4.  For example, during the really bad bushfires of California, firefighters from here in Australia were flown out to help.   

But on a lesser scale there is a lot of inter-nation training on all manner of projects and I'm not just talking about military projects.  We really are starting to inhabit a Global Village these days.

7. Ciel Clark profile image75
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

Thanks Canada. 

I am from the USA but lived a lot in France and there (this was a while ago, but still might apply) I often heard us called the "Big Children"   At first I thought it was an insult and then I thought it was good and I think it is both.  It is strange to think of a country as having a general personality --how could it with so many different people??  But most countries do have personalities.  I think the USA is, in some way like a big kid.  Most of the time you love the kid, and other times you wonder why is s/he being so annoying??  Teething problems maybe.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The "Big Children" designation is so true, I have also heard the remarks of being their "spoiled grandchildren".

8. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

Thanks Canada and all other nations who are coming to our aid.

American Media is very limited, you can see that if you watch news about the US from outside sources. I think that may be part of the "it is us against the world"  mentality. Many people here can't seem to think globally, not sure if it because the country is founded by people running from other countries and trying the shut the door after they get here, or if it the constant drone of we are number "1" that seems to permeate the place. Maybe a list of countries, who have aided us when we are in need, or are sharing the war zone, when we start a war, flashing across the screen on TV and computer might get the message out. but I am sure there would be those who would call it a commie scheme.

working