jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

How many days a year does Congress actually work?

1. BSloan profile image75
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

How many days a year does Congress actually work?

When you listen to the media detailing that Congress is in session, they make it sound as if Congress works nonstop all year round.  How many days and how much time does Congress actually put in?

2. Bozoplay profile image79
    Bozoplayposted 5 years ago

When you analyse this, you will note that members of Congress are politicians and, by default, politicians don't acutally work. To do so, you would have to earn the money you make. So my answer is zero for all politicans, not just Congress. People who actually work provide something useful such as goods or services that the consumer can actually use and those products must be competitively priced to be viable.  Congress, and other political bodies, have a reputation for sanctioning purchases that are highly overpriced and self-serving for their jurisdictions.

I honestly don't know the answer that you are looking for but I feel it matters little since the political networks have shown that they have outlived their original usefulness and another "system" needs to replace it, but we know that Congress wouldn't allow that to happen. Who would actually hire these people?

3. Askme profile image78
    Askmeposted 5 years ago

I don't know technically how many days they are supposed to work but in my opinion they don't work at all!

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

Funny no matter how much you search you cant seem to find a real amount of set hours they are supposed to work and we let these part-timers decide the fate of the planet.

But I think on tip of the Agenda when they meet again they should discuss cutbacks by starting with themselves... I think switching over to an hourly wage would be a fair start.

1. BSloan profile image75
      BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very well said, thank you Justsilvie.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

It is my understanding they must meet the minimum of 140 days per year. These are the only days they are required by law to meet. Basically, the rest of the year is up to them. Plus the times that are planned in advance for them to not be in session.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm let's count those days and if they missed any dock their pay... smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Just, even better let's pay them by the hour. smile

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

They work a hell of a lot more now than they used to in the earlier days of the republic. But they have large staffs now.

working