Do you think really attractive people have an easier time in life?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Efficient Admin profile image84
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

Do you think really attractive people have an easier time in life?

Do you think the "pretty" people get favored more than average looking people? Do they have more opportunities in life because they are attractive?

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

I have written a hub on this very same topic.   Attractive people, of course, have advantages and opportunities opened to them that are closed to their less attractive counterparts.    Attractive people are a "draw" so to speak and are easy on the eyes.    People tend to gravitate to the more attractive among us for the aforementioned reasons. 

Corporations and companies tend to hire attractive people as it is good business sense to do so.   Attractive people attract more clientele and thus attract more business and revenue.    Less attractive and/or unattractive people tend to "repel" and corporations and companies are extremely loathe to hire such people as it would negatively affect business output.     The name of the game in corporations and companies is image.    Attractive people add to the image while unattractive people subtract from the image.     

In occupations where there is much people contact, attractive people are more likely to be hired than unattractive people.     Besides being more likely to be hired, attractive people are more likely to obtain promotions and earn more than unattractive people, given the same educational and job qualifications.     Attractiveness count even in jobs and occupations where looks are not necessarily a strong determinant. 

Attractive people also tend to date more than unattractive people.    In other words, cuties get kissed while uglies get dissed.   People find attractive people sexier and welcoming than unattractive people.    People further contend that attractive people exude more self-confidence and elan than less attractive/unattractive people.     In fact, people find less attractive and/or unattractive people to be a complete turn off.

Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've heard it said that on dating websites the more thin and attractive girls get slammed with responses, but the not so thin girls get hardly any response. On the corporate front, working at home seems like a really good choice for a lot of people.

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Look at all of the detective and spy shows.  The heroes are usually 20-something, sexy gorgeous people.  Is this real world?

3. James-wolve profile image76
    James-wolveposted 11 years ago

Looks are everything up until a point. Yeah, you make friends quick, get dates quick.. But that doesn't mean your friends are gonna stick around.

Let me explain: I've got several friends who I've known for more than 20 years. And I sure as hell am not friends with them just cause they're pretty. Ten years? Obviously there's more to them than just looks.

Pretty girls might get a lot of guys, but that doesn't guarantee they'll stay with that guy forever. Look at Kim Kardashian. Billion guys think she's hot, she could get a date just like that, but she can't stay married to a guy for just three months. Then you look at my parents: not super models, but have been married for like 40 years or something.

Looks are an advantage in the dating world. In the short term. And especially in high school where people generally aren't looking for anything very long-term. But when (for me anyway) someone wants to get married, or have a relationship that lasts for more than a few months, you have to go beyond things as shallow as looks. Shallow isn't bad btw. It's just very near the surface. Attraction isn't bad, it's just not as deep as true love.

My ex gf was a pretty attractive girl.I am an average looking guy.She doesnt like me first but as time moved on,she fell in love with me.She liked many things in me.But, we didn't last because she found something better than me,someone could offer her secure life,house,car..... plus the same religion.

BTW the whole "only attractive people are cool" thing isn't true. What about Hurley from Lost? He's obese, but he's  awesome:) lol

Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These are very good points and true. Sometimes really good looks don't cover up other "stuff".

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, what you have succinctly stated is so true.   However, we live in such a superficial society, that the first impressions are often physical.   The 10s in our society are often deified while the 1s are severely denigrated..

4. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

Absolutely!  I was just thinking about that this morning.  That perception of attractiveness could involve height, weight, deformities, skin shade (even within race), etc.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

Dianetrotter, you are so correct regarding your premise.    In the Black community(I am Black), the dark skinned, particularly women, are viewed as less attractive than their lighter skinned counterparts who are often idolized.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

gmwilliams, in the Hispanic community complexion is very important.  My students called the fairer skinned Hispanics "white."  As I age I have a real appreciation for the dark skin.  People also assume that you are less intelligent.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Diane, I am so well aware of that.    Light skiinned Latinos consider themselves to be Caucasian while the dark skinned Latinos consider themselves to be anything but Black.   They would claim Indian and/or any other ancestry. Black= stigma it seems.

4. dianetrotter profile image61

gmwilliams, 'xactly!  There are Black people who consider themselves anything but Black also.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

100%. it's been proven in many studies and it is without a doubt to be true.

6. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Quite often this is the case. I know some people with outer beauty that have received some fairly big passes and gifts in life only because of this.

7. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

It all depends how do you rate attraction, there are many pretty people in the world, but that does not necessarily mean they are attractive, and also there are many 'not so pretty people' around the world and yet people find them very attractive...

We all have been given the basic human features we have to go by and the basic genetic make-up is there for us to use....what we will do with all that is in our hands:)

Do not blame, nature or nurture for your shortcomings, use what you have and make the best of it...that is what the successful people around do, do you want to be attractive, work on it and make yourself what you want to be....

1. dianetrotter profile image61

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The beholder might be a shallow person but have authority to hire/fire.  If is good to be positive about your abilities and who you are so you are not caught by surprise when you meet these people.

8. jg555 profile image59
    jg555posted 11 years ago

I think all people have their own set of issues and problems in life. For example, attractive women have a harder time in situations because they are treated differently by men and often times resented by women.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)