jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Why is it racist to dress up in a mexican outfit but not in a french outfit?

1. Cassie Smith profile image67
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

Why is it racist to dress up in a mexican outfit but not in a french outfit?

The sorority apologized for the costumes that they wore during Halloween and Penn State university also apologized.  To who?  I guess the easily offended.  Should we always kowtow to anyone who's easily offended?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7441554_f260.jpg

2. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

I don't think it's racist to dress like or parody any culture.  It has become socially acceptable to make fun of European Peoples, especially from Northern Europe - most white Americans included in this later pool!  You hear people making fun about whites...but just say something about a so called minority and you're called a racist.  I think your question is one of those questions that can only be answered by posing another question!...

Cassie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's very strange how the easily offended choose certain people for protection.  If someone dresses up as Germans in lederhosen or Swiss misses no one gets upset. Wear a Mexican outfit -- no-no.  The easily offended PCers are manipulators.

3. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I always celebrate diversity and would not have been offended at all.

I'm from West Texas, and dressing up as "Mexican" is part of our culture. So, is dressing up in cowboy boots and similar garb.

The easily offended are following ego -- which is always vulnerable.

I would suggest, instead, an explanation of the intent, rather than an apology. Feeding ego is just as bad as an intentional insult.

lone77star, the easily offended PCers don't allow for that kind of level-headedness.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I really don't think people who are easily offended have a good self defense system in their character. You can always dress like a French person, but you can't do it for hispanic or black. But maybe it is just too soon for the trials they have gone through. We might have to live through 1,000 years until it is mostly forgotten. Though something else will come up so there might always be fights. Still, they don't have these problems in most of South America....

iburmaster, I'd hate to think that we have to wait one thousand years for people to stop being overly sensitive.  It always comes from liberals and it's always specific people.  You don't see them going apecrap when Christians are lampooned.

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is a location in South America where they do not care about different colors of skin, but they are trying to promote a celebration of differences. There are no sides, no liberals.

3. William Robb profile image60
      William Robbposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ibur are you infering belize? It fits your description, i did some charity work there the country is as beautiful as the citizens attitudes lovely people who suffered persecution but rose far above it i miss it sad

5. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

The thing is it wasn't racist and I believe officials at Penn State know this (even if some don't want to admit it). But claiming it was racist works to the advantage of pursuing a politically correct agenda to stir up angst between white Americans and non-white Americans. When you look at what happened - that they not only dressed up as Mexicans but allegedly had a "border fence" they were jumping over, well I have to point to examples of people dressing up as Hillbillies on Halloween. I've seen interactive lawn displays in my own town where people put out fake moonshine stills and dress up in overalls. At one home three men were lazily sitting around in their display, giving out candy and dressed like Hee-Haw characters and singing that "Deep, Dark, Despair and Misery on Me" song. They even had a hound dog. And guess what, one of the men was African American! lol Nobody took offense, though, it was all in fun.
    I think what it boils down to is this: most human beings are intelligent enough to know when something is done in the innocent quest to have fun and when it is done out of sheer meanness. Those complaining about this incident KNOW no harm was meant but if they want Hispanic Americans to be upset about it they have to work diligently to stir the hornet's nest, which means painting it in a light it wasn't intended. This is, I believe, exactly what they're doing.
    If I were overly sensitive I'd be mad every time white Southern people are portrayed as uneducated, racist jerks. But I know it is just a stupid stereotype so I don't wear my sensitivities on my sleeve. I'd suggest to those offended by this sorority event to see it for what it is and save the angst for incidents where people are actually being harmed or maltreated by genuine racism.

Great examples, Beth Perry.  People have to look at intent.  Stereotypes by itself are not flattering but if you're going to be critical, apply it to everyone otherwise just relax and go with the flow.

2. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Amen on that, Cassie!

6. William Robb profile image60
    William Robbposted 4 years ago

Damn politics to hell clothes are clothes, anyway think about this  its actually racist to suggest only a mexican can wear mexican clothes.
    Mexico makes a tonne of money selling nexican gear to tourists and such, they need that revenue stream so i am willing to bet no mexican complained.

working