jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can people agree to disagree on issues they must vote on?

1. dianetrotter profile image73
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

How can people agree to disagree on issues they must vote on?

2. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

When people are mindful enough of the bigger picture and able to work towards it, I think they can agree to disagree on some things while accomplishing important tasks. Ego's and similar things should be set aside.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

By giving up or being passive. Too many people keep disagreeing and it can go on for forever. Just give up and move on. We have better things to do than argue and raise blood pressure.

4. Jeff Berndt profile image87
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

See, here's the thing about that--if you've agreed to put an issue to a vote, then you pretty much have to agree to the outcome of that vote. That's how voting works, whether it's a vote at a family meeting (which is why my wife and I don't put important issues to a vote), a club meeting, a PTA meeting, or a legislative session. Once the vote is taken and counted, you have to abide by the vote, even if you don't agree with the way the vote went.

Of course, sometimes a majority can vote for something that isn't merely unpleasant to the minority but actually infringes on their rights, and then there's a bit of a problem. That's why we (in the USA) have a Constitution that guarantees equal protection, and empowers the courts to nullify laws that violate people's rights, even if the law has the support of the majority. But that might be outside the scope of your question?

working