jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is your opinion about the Connecticut massacre?

1. Oilersmyth profile image82
    Oilersmythposted 5 years ago

What is your opinion about the Connecticut massacre?

First of all, my prayers go out to those families that have been affected by this heinous act. Tears came out my eyes as I heard about the story.

I want to ask everybody about their stance on gun enforcement. After this shooting, how do you feel about gun possession? Law enforcement? How about the school administrators, how do you feel about them? Do you think the government and police are taking adequate measures to ensure the safety of American citizens?

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

1. These sort of killings are a world wide phenomenon but the USA is the focal point because of its history and emotion related to guns. The USA has to start a serious debate at political level to retrict availability of guns,...starting with an age restriction? This is not abolishment/banning but limitation. Gun laws need to be tightened, and fast.
    2. To stop further shootings all schools and campuses need to be ring fenced and secured with guards on duty 24/7 if needs be. Draconian I know but surely this is better than dead children? Things can always be loosened as the years pass.
    3. Let us all learn from the latest incident. Our young people are bombarded with images of death and destruction - DVD's /videos galore showing murder by automatic weapon!! Little wonder these things occur. Young minds are vulnerable. Those individuals in families who are mentally suspect should be helped by family members and professionals. Everyone has a part to play.

BUT it should be said that the gun is the key factor. Guns kill large numbers of people in minutes. OK the finger pulls the trigger and the finger is that of a disturbed person but these mass murders would not happen if the killer was holding a knife or baseball bat. The mindset is different when holding a gun!!!! Start the debate, make new laws, protect the innocents.

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 5 years ago

I'm not in America, and I don't understand why every day people would need to keep guns. I don't like the idea that they are allowed to. I understand people who live in farming our mountain area's etc may use a weapon, but in suburbs and cities, I can't understand this.  If it is for sport, why not leave them with the pistol club? Why bring them home? I am saddened and heartbroken, like everyone is about this tragedy.

1. Express10 profile image88
      Express10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

There are burglaries, car jackings, stalkers, rapists, robberies, enraged people, and all manner of nonsense ongoing in every single state. Some areas are much worse than others, none are immune. This is why Americans need guns.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I too have shed tears when hearing about this. I still feel the same about gun laws and don't feel any changes should be made for law abiding, sane, and trained citizens. The laws don't work for thugs, criminals, and angry evil types and law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves with the same force. The school administrators at Sandy Hook did everything they could but without equal force and without warning, they lost many lives. When a person has not history of being violent, there's nothing anyone can do to prevent an angry and violent person from being destructive.

I am of the mindset that the government and police are taking adequate measures to ensure the safety of citizens, but unlike many people, I choose to protect myself. Government and police are not my private security, nor are they private security for anyone else. They should not be relied upon for everything in life and further, their involvement often cause more problems than good.

Personally, I'd prefer that their not be changes to the ability of law abiding citizens to own guns. They need equal power to protect themselves against criminals.