jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

How important are other people’s opinion about you?

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

How important are other people’s opinion about you?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

They are of no consquence.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Now THAT'S what I am talking about!

3. theseus profile image81
    theseusposted 5 years ago

Not much.
    I don't allow other people's opinion about me matter as long as I know I did the right thing.

4. Sirus Hunt profile image61
    Sirus Huntposted 5 years ago

I'm going to be giving a pragmatic answer, so here we go.
    I, as a human being, am a social creature, and so while it may not mean much to my conscious, I've noticed it affecting me quite a bit.
    I find it hard to believe that noone is affected by other people's opinions to some degree, as if everyone had a poor opinion on you, it's more likely that you're deluded in thinking you're 'right'—I don't know how you scale right and wrong though, so I can't speak for that—than anything else.
    Though it does depend on just whose opinion it is. A stranger walking down the street's opinion won't carry much if any weight, but a personal friend's most certainly will to me.

5. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

Hi Anjili!

Other people's opinions about me matter. Those opinions are how they see me. I assume these opinions are not derived from thin air. Therefore, in my more reflective, private moments I always acknowledge that they have some validity no matter how unflattering they may be.

We try each day to be a better person than we were the day before. This is the ideal anyway. The path is seldom a straight one, as you must know.

You know, Anjili, we often say of others (when we are trying to repel unflattering opinions about ourselves) "You don't understand!" We say this in an attempt to dismiss unflattering criticism. What we really mean when we say ("You don't understand"), I think, is something more like: "You are not understanding me or the situation the way I want you to understand it."

You see there is a slight differene there.

Take it easy.

6. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 5 years ago

The opinion of certain people close to me is important, but when I feel that what I  must do differs from them, I still do what is important to me. The opinion of people that don't know me doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

7. Mmargie1966 profile image94
    Mmargie1966posted 5 years ago

Everybody likes to be liked.  That being said, I don't put much stock into impressing those I don't know.

My loved ones have opinions, and they are important to me.  I have an open mind, and will listen to the opinions of the people that are important to me.  However, I may or may not eventually agree with them.  And that is okay.

I am me, no apologies.

8. nihar2 profile image60
    nihar2posted 5 years ago

they annoy me most of the time,,,but some of them really advisory

9. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

As I get older, I think less and less of what others see and just do what I think I should do. If you've got your eyes constantly over your shoulder you bash into things. I used to be worried about what others thought of me, after all some of the time my employment depended on what my bosses thought of me. Although I'm my own boss now - in receipt of a state pension and not reliant on goodwill - I don't run amok so as long as I behave, I've got nothing to worry about.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Amen, alancaster149,  life is way too short to care about what others think of you.   The question is what do YOU think of You and act accordingly!