What would you do if you were confronted with a burglar in your home?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (66 posts)
  1. annart profile image81
    annartposted 11 years ago

What would you do if you were confronted with a burglar in your home?

Would you scream, fight, capitulate......?  Which would win, fight or flight?  Would you let them take everything without reacting?  Maybe some of you have experienced this; what did you do?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

I have guns and second amendment rights that no POTUS has the authority to infringe upon.  God help anyone trying to steal on this property.

annartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being a Brit, I'm not happy with the right to have guns but, having said that, I can understand that a right once given should not be taken away.

2. profile image0
      Lizam1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

And you my friend are part of the reason why so many people and innocent children get killed in the USA every day.

3. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wesman, I am with you. Only criminals and non law abiding folks kill innocent people everyday in the US. You are one of us who will not be a sitting duck, wishing for a gun when confronted with one.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

"confronted"? I'd kill them!

Without trying to apprehend?  (apart from if they're armed of course)

2. Express10 profile image86

I too would not risk bodily harm in trying to apprehend or subdue someone without a weapon. Perps know what they are doing is wrong, they have no business in your home and people need to take back their rights to peace and safety within their homes.

3. philli profile image81
      philliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Are you from Texas? LOL! J/k wink

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not from Texas! :-)
      I just don't believe in taking chances! Someone brazen enough to break into your house is just as capable of harming you or your family.

5. philli profile image81
      philliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...I was just joking about the Texas thing (they tend to have the reputation of shoot first and ask questions later). I really enjoyed your answer and agree with your thinking behind it. smile

4. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

As a single lady, I would shoot to kill just like my dad did when I was younger when a burglar thought he found a good home to steal from.

I can understand the need for self-defence; it's happened here as those with a licence often live in out-of-the-way places but they have to prove 'justified force'.  Often farmers who are on their own away from other dwellings.

2. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
      Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shoot to kill for stealing?  Why?  Was the stuff so irreplaceable that the thief deserved to die?  What if the burglar was stealing because he needed money to feed his family?  Would you shoot to kill even if you knew that the burglar was unarmed?

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lady Wordsmith, Making the assumption that a burglar is a harmless "thief" can get you killed. I'm fairly certain the people on those flights on 9/11 assumed the planes were simply being hijacked for a ransom. You can't know what a criminal thinking

Lady Wordsmith, to believe that a person breaking into your home is to be trusted is asking to be beaten, killed, robbed, raped. I would shoot to make sure they would never think about robbing anyone else for sure, armed or not. MY home, not theirs.

5. Shellie Wyndham profile image61
      Shellie Wyndhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lady Wordsmith,
      My things aren’t that important but my life is.  I hate to sound cold but once an individual decides to break into a home, I no longer care what their reasoning is.  Neither would I have the ability to “know” that they’re unarmed.  If

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

If I am home and someone tried to get in, I would arm myself as I called 911. We live rurally so it might take the sheriff a while to get here.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to shoot the person--while I know I would have the right to do so to protect myself...the following nightmares and guilt (even though I was right) would haunt me.  I don't need any more nightmarish things in my head so shooting would be the last resort but if my family or I were in fear for our lives, I would be prepared to do so.

Great answer.  There is some consideration here and a measured approach.  Thanks.

6. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

I would set my killer Beagle and Lab on them... and when the dogs have them down, I would beat the tar out of them with our handy baseball bat, then call the police. 

A big dog makes much more sense to me than a big gun. All someone has to do is walk into our driveway and it sounds like the hounds of hell are behind our doors. I have no fear from burglars except those with assault weapons, who might shoot their way in.

Thank you so much for answering.  I think dogs are a great deterrent, especially if they sound fierce; no good against those prepared to use guns though, as you say.

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt I would have much chance against someone shooting their way in. At least not if I was handling a firearm safely and did not have it strapped on like some Wild West cowboy.  I will take my chances with some sensible deterrents.

7. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 11 years ago

Clearly shoot them if you must.  However, it's best to make sure they don't live to tell about it.  My uncle shot an intruder who climbed into his house through the dining room window.  Unfortunately, the law is so screwed up in NYC that he survived and then filed a lawsuit against my uncle.  It's upsurd to even have to entertain such a lawsuit.  If they don't live, they don't file lawsuits.

Yes, a similar thing happened to a farmer here; they overturned the decision to jail him as the public outcry was enormous.

I cannot believe that he was even allowed to file a lawsuit! That is when he should have been shot again for adding insult to injury.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The law in NY is ridiculous.  If he is not facing you directly, then he not viewed a threat.  So if he saw the gun and turned away and you lodged a bullet in his side ribcage...he has a case that he was fleeing and you did not need to use force.

8. coolbreeze profile image43
    coolbreezeposted 11 years ago

Where I live they wont even come until you have subdued the perp. If the dogs don't get him I would tell my wife to shoot him. Shes a better shot ;-)

1. Express10 profile image86

We ladies are often surprised to find that we have great aim! This coming from a girly girly figure skater raised by a traditional dad who taught me about guns from a young age.

2. annart profile image81

Girl power!  Seriously though, I'm surprised no-one comes unless the perpetrator has been subdued already.

9. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I HAVE CONFRONTED A BURGLAR IN OUR OFFICE WITH MERE WORDS AND HE LEFT.  I was the only one present and my small children as they were then were with me. Why oh why are you all talking about guns and killing folk - OK here the guy did not have a gun and I a 5 foot mum with two children in tow managed to get him to leave and then I called the police.  I have also stopped a fight in our housing complex between and ex and a boyfriend by using words.  Not being armed is a sign of strength.  If the US had less guns, less people wuld be killed and I mean innocent ones who are the victims of the stupid right to bear arms laws.

You are so right!  When I asked this question, it was from (obviously!) a Brit point of view.  I didn't really have guns in mind, though the isolated incidents above were in the countryside.  I'm sure guns will never be a 'right' here, thank goodness

Here in the US there are many guns in criminals hands. The problem is not law abiding folk. My father saved my & my sister's lives with one of his guns w/a burglar. Guns when used properly can save lives, I've seen it with my own eyes.

3. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
      Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but guns are not always used properly, and they do cost innocent lives on a very regular basis.

I agree, there are many things that aren't used properly and cost innocent lives on a very regular basis. Cars, machinery, motorcycles, alcohol, watercraft, and drunk/drowsy/drugged drivers are some more examples.

5. Shellie Wyndham profile image61

I completely understand that not everyone would, or could, use a gun.  It’s great that you and your children were unharmed; however, if an individual is forcing his way into my home, I personally would not wait to see if he is armed or determine his

10. profile image49
    Wilbart26posted 11 years ago

I will definitely use all my knowledge about those situations, I tend to read books about martial arts and weaponry. I also have training in the military that makes me a bit in advantage. Besides it'y my house, so if there's someone that's in the upper hand then it's me. I will not use a gun, I will definitely use some silent weapons like the blow gun, air guns, or long bow just to stop them. If they are equipped with weapons, they I will aim at their hands so that they'll sure to drop it, once they are damaged and disabled, I'll go close to them for hand to hand combat, again, it's still my advantage since their already wounded. I'll keep their attention until the police that was called by my wife or kids arrived. But I'm sure I'll gonna take them down, They have no right to disturb the peace and stability of my family. If there's no choice foe me, then definitely I'll go get a gun and shoot them in the leg and arms. I will not kill them so that I will not be changed murder. No case will be thrown to me, it's just self defense and I just stopped them. I did not killed them.

I understand your logic and the wish to only wound.  Yes, it's a great infringement of privacy.  Thanks for answering.

11. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

I had a burglar one time.  What I did was this:  First I grabbed my shotgun then turned off my security light and unlocked my sliding door.  I sat in the kitchen in the dark with my trusty Mossburg and waited.  Low and behold he opened my door and walked inside the kitchen.  I turned on the light and asked him if he saw anything he wanted to steal.  With his eyes as big as dinner plates he ran out the door.  I went back to bed.

The next day I was greeted with: "Buenos Dias Mikiella Pistolas" and I was never bothered again. 

Now if he had already been in my home or never left when he saw me, he would have been dead meat.

Well done you!  Sounds like something straight out of a Western!

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha.  Hey, being a single white woman in a bad neighborhood I had to let people know I'm not one to mess with and it worked.

3. Express10 profile image86

From one lady to another, I am so happy that you were able to get him to change his mind. If you had no gun, the result could have been much different and not in your favor. Awesome!

12. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

I would call 911 and hide in the nearest available secure place to avoid a confrontation.

Me too!  Thanks for answering.

13. philli profile image81
    philliposted 11 years ago

I would try to hole up in a locked room, gathering my son and phone as I ran. I would dial 911 and hope that the cops got there soon. If needed, I would fight and scream. [knock on wood] wink

One would hope there would be time to do so.  I think it probably does come down to some luck too!  Thanks for answering.

14. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

If the burglar is there just to take my TV and so forth, they can have it.  It's just stuff, it's covered by insurance.  I would not be prepared to put myself or my children in danger by confronting someone in my house, just to stop them from taking some electrical goods that can be easily replaced.  I would call the police, and I would keep out of the way.  I have been burgled, and this is what happened.  My things were replaced.  Yes, it's a traumatic experience, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse if I'd confronted the burglars.

Under no circumstances would I ever consider attacking them, causing them physical injury, if they did not attack me first.  I cannot comprehend how anyone can think it's alright to serious injure or kill another human being (who may have who knows what reason for breaking into my house - walk a mile in that person's shoes before deciding it's alright to take their life) just for stealing something.  If anyone hurt my children I'm sure I would want to kill them myself.  Thankfully, in the UK, I don't have the right to carry a gun.  But to kill someone for taking my replaceable stuff?  No way.  That punishment doesn't fit the crime at all.

1. Shellie Wyndham profile image61

I have to say that it’s not my property that I would worry about but my safety and that of my family.  I live in America and I suppose our values are different.  My first thought would never be that they are justified in forcing their way into my hom

15. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

Pepper Spray, kick in the balls, grab my kids and run to the neighbors then call 911.

Sounds good to me!  Thanks for answering.

16. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

the correct thing required for the hostile situation.

17. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 11 years ago

despite the dramatics that this issue usually inspires, there have been a lot of well thought out responses here! Three cheers!

I like some of the others live in the middle of no where, police response time would be 20-30 min minimum, and I would prob know half the sheriffs’ deputies personally,…. And it should also be stated that every body knows EVERY BODY here,…. If an intruder came through my door or window at 3am,…. I’d first try to identify my target (with gun in hand, lets not be foolish)….. My best friend used to get drunk and climb through our bed room window rather than use the door, never did figure the logic in it,… but I wouldn’t have wanted to shoot the fellow I would later name my son after,… and chances are, I’d know the dumb tweeker that thought I wasn’t home by their first name,…. so identifying my target would be top priority.

Next I would use words rather than bullets to get control of the situation (once again, with gun in hand, not wanting to be foolish),… because as I already stated,… I’m prob gona KNOW this person,… and nothing says “calm down and think about this” like a shadow behind a 38. that’s saying your first name.

But in all reality, painfully few of us will have the chance to think out a rational measured response to a home invasion situation,… I sleep in the nude and have a 15 yr old son to think about,… if you’ve progressed to the point that invading someone’s home has become an acceptable idea,… you’ve already crossed some serious lines in life. if you come crashin through my door at 3am you will meet with maximum resistance,…. I’ll give you the favor of announcing I have a gun right before I use it,… If your very VERY lucky, we will both have that ONE split second needed to assess the situation,… but if not,… you’ll just have your last split second….. And I wont apologize or loose one wink of sleep over it.

A measured response, thank you.  I am definitely for defending home and children, obviously, but I still have a problem with guns.
      I wish there were more British responses to this!

18. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

It's true, it's best to not resort to violence but sometimes, that's what must be done.  What many people don't know is how BIG the US is and how spread out homes are here... A police officer might not make it to a home for up to an hour and that's if he was "hot on it!"

I, too, am military-trained AND I am a gun-owner, but that's not an excuse for using unnecessary force.  So, it just depends on the situation.

I have been robbed.  My friend was held with a hunter's knife to her while the man and his partner demanded the money.  I happily gave over the money because my only concern was for my friend and not my things. That guy was later picked up by the police, charged and sent to jail.  Had my friend not been there, I would (a) release the dog (b) hole up in a room with my kids AND my gun while dialing the police and (c) holler out that I had called the police and I had a gun!  If he still came in the room after that, all bets are off, amigo!

1. Shellie Wyndham profile image61

I absolutely agree with you.  The name of the game is survival, not bravery.  That being said, committing to the act of using force is not about being the tough guy, but of surviving the encounter.  It may be that using force would be unwise, such as

19. Ace So Awesome profile image57
    Ace So Awesomeposted 11 years ago

Honestly if I awoke to a burglar in my home I would scream and run to get away from them!  My instinct would be to get help asap and to make sure that I was safe from this person.  I don't know if they are high or plan to only just commit burglary.  I would definitely try to contact 911 if viable in that moment, or make it to a neighbor's home in order to get help.

Thanks for your answer.

20. Kasman profile image78
    Kasmanposted 11 years ago

My heart would be not to kill anyone, but I do believe that if that person made the mistake to come into my home then the consequences that come from that decision is upon their heads. The fact is that I see the back and forth on this question all the time. I have friends from all over the world who agree or disagree with the right to bear arms.
    Everyone has a strong opinion, yet no one takes the time to hear why there is even such a "right".
    Scenario: my horse is my baby, I would ride her all day long. Lets say she got pregnant.......if I came near that horse after she'd given birth, The chances are higher that i would get a hoof print on my head! She would want to defend her newborn foal.
    From the biblical aspect, the founders of this country wrote that law for quite a few reasons but one in particular was that the overwhelming majority of them believed in Jesus Christ. Since they believed in God, they believed that God gave each of His creatures an instinctual ability to defend itself. Or as they put it, they believed in "Nature's God" and they believed that He gave nature it's law of preservation.
    They believed since that it is an inherent "law" written into our DNA, that we should have the ability to do so in an effective way.
    Also, we have to remember that part of the reason the revolution was "kickstarted" so to speak was because the British soldiers were coming to confiscate the weapons of the people who had not shed any blood as of yet.
    One of the basest reasons for the "right" to bear arms was and is to protect yourself from a tyrannical government.

Is this a hotbed of disagreement, absolutely! The problem we have in America is in the revisionist history that's been going on for almost a hundred years. You have to find the "credible" sources and dig deep to find them. I look at the founder's own words for one and take them at what they said.

Not an exhaustive answer by any means if you really wanna go deep.  I say all that to say that I believe I have the right to defend myself and my family. I have the right to keep and bear arms for protection. I would only use this "right" as a last resort, but use it I would. I unfortunately have almost had to use this right a few times in my lifetime and I would definitely be broken about it, but at the end of the day, my wife will have her husband coming home to her.

I have difficulty with the religious interpretation that we can use firearms; Christianity teaches that to kill is a sin.

2. Kasman profile image78
      Kasmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem with that interpretation is that if to kill is to sin, then officers of the law who are Christians should hang up the badge. Jesus never spoke against killing, he spoke against murder. its all about context. Command 6 is do not murder.

3. Shellie Wyndham profile image61

Christianity does teach that to kill is a sin; however, many people have been killed in Christianity’s name.  My own Native American ancestors were some of them.  I think that end the end, we must do what we think is right and be prepared to live wit

21. ct92 profile image67
    ct92posted 11 years ago

I HAVE confronted a burgler in my house.
    He was really high on something, and the first thing he did when he saw us was to run. We ran after him, but decided to give it up.
    I am just happy that none of us kept chasing him, because he did have a weapon and I am afraid of what would have happened if he had felt like he was in a corner.

Wise decision.  Thanks for answering.

22. Shellie Wyndham profile image61
    Shellie Wyndhamposted 11 years ago

I would shoot him, her, or them, respectively and my focus would be on stopping the threat, namely them.  If they die or not, the name of the game is to stop the threat; I wouldn’t compromise my chances of success by worrying about the intruders safety or well-being.  I wouldn’t go out of my way to call 911 until after the threat is controlled, meaning I would not put my safety in jeopardy to make that call; I understand that I need to be alive to give information or request help.
    I have a dog; no killer, just a barker but still a good indicator of unusual happenings that I may not be immediately aware of and quite likely enough to let me know of the intruder before entry into my home.  There is no room in the house that does not have a long gun or revolver within easy reach and so I would have an excellent chance of arming myself.  I do have some law enforcement, weapons, and self-defense experience and so this is absolutely the reason that my home is armed in this manner. 
    I do want to add something regarding the “fight or flight” response that anyone would experience.  It happens to everyone; if you find yourself in this position, you’re going to experience fear.  Training helps our law enforcement and military personal develop the ability to function and reason in spite of this reaction.  I’m fortunate enough to have had live fire training and so believe that I would be able to function in this situation, in spite of it being in my own home and in spite of the fear that I certainly would feel. One thing that you can do to help you and your family’s chance of working through the fear and lessoning the chance of injury or death is to have drills.  Play the “what if” game and create a plan.  It doesn’t matter of the plan is to escape  to a neighbor’s house or fight back, just have a plan.

1. Express10 profile image86

It is your home, not theirs and there is simply NO excuse (hunger, debt, abuse, etc.) for breaking into anyone's home, occupied or not. If they do so, they can & should suffer the consequences that serve as a warning to others considering the sam

2. Shellie Wyndham profile image61

Agreed.  I simply want to protect my family and myself and I will not wait to see if all they want are things, nor will I compromise my safety by trying to talk them out of what they’re doing.  I will prevent them from doing it again.

23. Amethystraven profile image71
    Amethystravenposted 11 years ago

It depends on the circumstance. If I had the chance I would like to get out and call the police. I also have dogs that sleep inside. I would not stop them if they decided to react to a stranger in the house. I would call the police so that at least some kind of justice would or could be brought to the person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)