jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Do you believe Einstein's view of the world ?

1. loveofnight profile image81
    loveofnightposted 5 years ago

Do you believe Einstein's view of the world ?

The world can be a cruel place,not because of the evil that is done by others;but because of those who look on and walk away”......Albert Einstein.  What is your view on his words of wisdom ?

2. GwennyOh profile image87
    GwennyOhposted 5 years ago

This question is absolutely shocking in its timeliness - as it applies to me and my thoughts anyway.  Recently some nephews showed my husband some horrifying YouTube videos.  My husband has now taken to watching similar ones; he says he watches them to see people's stupidity in action.  I can't tell you the topic matters of such videos as I will not help promote them. 

What I feel though is that there are far too many videos where people stand and film people doing terrible and cruel things to each other - then laugh!  Or post it on YouTube for others to 'enjoy'. 

As a rule, I cannot watch this new generation of videos.  They are illustrative of your Einstein quote.  I fear growing up next to generations with a mentality that enjoys watching others suffer.  Knowing that people enjoy witnessing the misfortune and pain of others, is certainly worse than the misfortune or evil directed at them. 

My heart aches, and it appears to me that Einstein was indeed correct. 

Great question.

1. loveofnight profile image81
      loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i so understand and can hear/feel the emotion in your answer.

2. GwennyOh profile image87
      GwennyOhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are right.  It would be great to see people supporting each other instead.

3. profile image0
    scriber1posted 5 years ago

Albert Einstein was not only a scientific genius; he also had the human wisdom to know and express that it does little good to know anything that then is not acted upon,

4. vrdm profile image83
    vrdmposted 5 years ago

I would have to say it's a combination of the two, but clearly understand what he was driving at.  It takes a lot of courage not to walk away.

5. My Esoteric profile image92
    My Esotericposted 5 years ago

I certainly can't help but agree with that sentiment, in addition to his theoretical view of the Universe.

6. mintinfo profile image73
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

On his death bed he said maybe he should have been a watch maker. That is because all his intelligence achieved was distruction. That was his only wise words. He was similar to that other genius who developed poison gas only to have it used to kill 5 million of his own people.

1. My Esoteric profile image92
      My Esotericposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True, but E=MC2 would have been discovered regardless, it didn't require supergenius, only genius.  Now you can derive E=MC2 with simple math.  It was his General Theory, understanding Time is variable, which made him a supergenius; and that was good

7. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 5 years ago

In order for a person to stay involved and not walk away from any situation, they have to have empathy. I think that is what he was trying to say.  Empathy requires that one has the ability to put themselves in the place of the other person and feel what they are feeling.  Too much of what goes on in the world today is about "What's in it for me?"  I believe we are going to see more of this as the weather becomes more severe and people will need more help.  Hurricane Sandy was a good example of this. Of course there were those that helped, but there are also those who walked away.

8. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 5 years ago

I most definitely believe Einsteins view.
    This is very true today as the majority of our society members do not have the courage to assist with fixing the difficult problems.
    Many individuals see a difficult situation but then walk away because they lack valor to stay to support the fix.

9. platinumOwl4 profile image74
    platinumOwl4posted 5 years ago

Funny you should asked this question. Abraham Lincoln is quoted as saying," the only way bad people can take over is if good people stand by and do nothing. We in America see dirty deeds on a daily bases and applaud television shows that point out this evil go along with and improve the rating of these filthy shows programed in to our brain under the guise of entertainment. We in the United States have been so dummied down that it is hard to tell the difference between left and right.

10. Marcus99 profile image58
    Marcus99posted 5 years ago

At the time he probably said that, atrocities were being committed in Europe because of people's apathy towards doing the moral 'right' thing. Fortunately for Humanity, tens of millions did rise up to the challenge, but, today, evil has taken on a different guise and most just can't be bothered, thinking someone else will get to fixing the problem(s).