jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

If G.W.Bush's s waterboarding was so horrible .......

1. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

If G.W.Bush's s waterboarding was so horrible .......

What about Pres.Obama's  drone stikes  against Americans  .........Bother anyone at all?

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 5 years ago

Truthfully?  I have mixed feelings on this one.  If they are known terrorists who wish to do other Americans harm, then go for it.
    I don't like one person having the power to order this type of killing without at least a few other heads being involved.  I'm not talking about approval from Congress, we all know this could take several lifetimes before they could arrive at a decision.
    Another concern is that other countries who hate us have the technology to build their own drones and deliver strikes in our country.  I would hate to see a drone war get started between countries.
    No simple yes or no answer to this one.  Lots of collateral damage possible with this whole situation.

ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey Poolman , I often think ofit like  this , would it bother me if we were at a stage of all out war ! Watching as the world  trade centers fall, and real men and woman make a dicsision whether to jump out of the buildings windows or burn to death .

3. Mitch Alan profile image81
    Mitch Alanposted 5 years ago

Can't you understand the difference? Bush = Evil and Oboma = Savior. Duh!

ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Boy is  that the truth !  I call it "Partisan Inspired Blindness" !

4. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

Yes, it does. Both are human rights violations.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image88
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

This assertion of power bothers the heck out of me. Killing combatants on a battlefield is one thing. The targeted killing of a US citizen who isn't bearing arms against the US, on the other hand, is what you call an extrajudicial execution. That's banana republic stuff, there. The US should have no part in it, just like torture, just like warrantless wiretapping.

The only funny thing about it is watching the partisans squirm. The folks who were anti-Bush are doing everything possible to avoid this issue 'cos they can't condemn their guy, but they also can't approve of this without looking like hypocrites. The folks who are anti-Obama are having a hard time condemning him for aggressively waging the war on terror--they can't condemn this power grab without looking like hypocrites for cheering all of W's power-grabs (It was okay when W was doing stuff like this, but we don't want a Democrat to have this kind of power).

There are very few people in politics or in the media who are pointing out the discrepancy. If only the news shows would do what the Daily Show does: showing what a politician says/does today, and then showing them saying/doing exactly the opposite thing six months ago.

1. Mitch Alan profile image81
      Mitch Alanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about the "wiretaps" between known terrorist groups over seas and people here in America? Those I support, but not citizen to citizen here in the States without just cause and proper warrants.

6. LandmarkWealth profile image79
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Aside from ones views on the legality of either, the media hypocrisy here is so blatantly biased.  Had this been President Bush this we be on the front page of the NY times daily.  There is barely a whisper of coverage by the mainstream media.  And when they do address it, it is handled with kid gloves an little moral outrage.     

On a side note, allthough I would not wish to be waterboarded, I never considered that to be inhumane torture as an interrogation strategy.  If it is, then we need to redefine how we train our special forces. Because waterboarding is part of the basic training to prepare them for interrogation in the event that they are ever captured behind enemy lines.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

If someone is threatening the lives of American citizens, let them be dealt with accordingly. This whole drone situation has gotten completely misunderstood. They are not talking about targeting Americans on American soil. Only American citizens abroad who have or will cause harm to the United states. What would you rather happen? Leave these people alone and get caught with our pants down as we did on 9/11?

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't disagree, but keep in mind the use of drones can quickly become a two way street.  To some other countries, we are their Terrorists.

8. Mr. Thinktank profile image81
    Mr. Thinktankposted 5 years ago

When it comes to national security there is never an easy answer. Yes the media is biased, yes it should be talked about more than it is being discussed right now, but when it comes down to it, both water-boarding and drone strikes are terrible. It should bother all of us that this is going on, but just like WWII and the atomic bomb, some things are just out of our control when it comes to making decisions on how we fight wars.

9. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

There's a certain amount of silence one would expect simply due to party loyalty. Not unlike the Republican silence all throughout Bush's irresponsible spending spree.

However, a lot of groups have been consistent in their condemnation of both cases of human rights violations, including groups such as the ACLU and Human Rights Watch, and political groups such as the Progressives and the Greens. One of the leading opponents of Obama's drone policy has been the Democrat Ron Wyden. So I'd say a lot of people are bothered.

As for the Mainstream media, I don't really know. I try not to stupidfy myself by watching them. They seem to be going pretty easy on him, but at the same time, I think they went exceedingly light on Bush as well.

10. healthyfitness profile image79
    healthyfitnessposted 5 years ago

I believe the both of them are just puppets to much bigger force. Feudalism never left, it just evolved.

working