jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think of NM Governor Susana Martinez as a presidential candidate for

1. savvydating profile image95
    savvydatingposted 4 years ago

What do you think of NM Governor Susana Martinez as a presidential candidate for the GOP in 2016?

She is the first Hispanic to be elected governor in the history of the U.S. Some say she gave possibly the best speech at the 2012 Republican convention. (You can YouTube it) She seems quite willing to rock the "Republican boat" However, she has not stated any desire to run - at all.

2. moonfroth profile image75
    moonfrothposted 4 years ago

SAVVY --Your question opens what in mathematics is called a "null set", so whether she has expressed interest in the position is utterly irrelevant because your question deals with a hypothetical situation.

As a Canadian, i have no opinion of her as an American candidate for an American position. Don't know a thing about her except her name.  i would, however, like to make a couple of points.Obama is the first Black President.  Now you're asking if the American voter--on the heels of the first minority President, and for TWO terms at that--is willing to endorse in ONE package the other two "minority" groups--Hispanics and Women,  Whoof!  My first impulse is to say No, that Americans will want a return to "normalcy" and will endorse a white mainstream male next time around.  just a thought from North of the border. . . . . . . ..

savvydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Let's talk, Moonfroth. I think of you as a friend, even if my wording and other responses come out sounding the opposite of what I intend.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

Personally, I think the GOP is crazy (even aside from their policies). For whatever reasons they just don't seem to make decisions based upon electability (nationally, anyway). Rather, their metric for decision making seems to be based on how much froth foams out of the mouths of people in the crowd.

Looking at 2012, for example, I think the most electable option may have been Huntsman, but he didn't even make a dent. Meanwhile 9-9-9 Cain was at one point a frontrunner. In the end of course they went with Romney, but he was a clear loser well before he lost. He never had the demographics right to even have a chance. Why they seemed completely blind to this is beyond me.

At any rate, Martinez would seem to be a great candidate. She has a compelling story, seems to be a pretty solid conservative, and most importantly could do well with women and Hispanics, whose vote is no longer optional. But, unless something happens to the GOP between now and then, it won't ever happen. She doesn't have that brand of crazy necessary to make people foam at the mouth. If you were to go back in time and put her up on stage during the GOP debates, she would have looked like a Democrat.

So, the short answer is that Martinez makes sense, therefore the GOP won't go for it.

savvydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You make some valid points, junkseller. Unfortunately for the GOP, you're probably right. Frankly, they need more savvy - no pun intended. Thanks for dropping by.