Have you noticed any random acts of kindness lately?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. celeste inscribed profile image90
    celeste inscribedposted 5 years ago

Have you noticed any random acts of kindness lately?

I saw some coupons on a grocery store shelf and I thought, Wow, how nice is that?" Someone left them there and now I can use them. Have you done something like this or seen something like this?

2. ParadigmEnacted profile image76
    ParadigmEnactedposted 5 years ago

I definitely haven't witnessed any random acts of kindness. To people's credit I regularly see them help when it's asked for or when it's obvious that somebody needs help, such as somebody on crutches or an elderly person with heavy bags, but almost never anything random.

Sometimes it's dangerous trying to help others since you can't really be sure where they are coming from. Like the sayings go "try to make things better for someone and you just make it a thousand times worse," "give someone an inch and they take a mile." "no good deed goes unpunished." Unfortunately those things are usually true.

celeste inscribedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it is a little sad that help is needed but not always accepted. Many thanks for your honest answer.

3. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 5 years ago

Well am not sure that this is an act of kindness or greed. 

I like giving to special child since they only require very little. 

My mechanic have a special child and the last time I was there I bought him a bag of sweet.  The smile on his face can really melt once heart. smile I really made my day.

That is awesome. When thoughtfulness is unexpected it is definitely an act of kindness. What a lovely thing to do for a special child.

4. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 5 years ago

These may not really qualify as "acts of kindness" in the sense I believe your question infers, but they stuck out in my mind.

My son plays on a U19 recreational soccer league.  While playing a game, and without a whistle, he and another player collided, and the other player went down.  My son could have continued toward the opponent's goal having now grabbed the advantage of ball possession.  Instead he stopped & extended his hand to his opponent laying on the ground.  After the game, 3 players from my son's own team patted him on the back for his good sportsmanship.

In another game that I coached today, a U15 girls recreational soccer game.  One of my players and an opponent collided.  My player went down and was slow to get up.  No whistle was blown.  The girl on the other team stopped playing to extend a hand to my player who was down on the field; the girls briefly hugged, smiled and then continued to play.  After the game, I let the other team's player know how much I appreciated her kindness.

For me, it is nice to know that there are young people who think more about other people than winning.

This is exactly what I was asking about. Just seeing people being kind to one another is so heartwarming. Thank you for sharing your story. You can be very proud of your team for sure.

5. conradofontanilla profile image80
    conradofontanillaposted 5 years ago

celeste inscribed,
    I witnessed one act of kindness just recently. A person had an affliction who could not be treated in his country because it is the policy of that country not to treat a person who has that disease. I will not mention the country or the person because the case is confidential, between the doctor and the patient. I learned of the case from the doctor who told me about it only in general terms.
    The person prepared a budget based on inadequate information. The budget did not cover for  more expense items in the medication that cost some substantial amount of money. The person came over half way the globe for medication to the Philippines by plane and billeted in a hotel for two weeks both prepaid. In the middle of the medication that depended on the severity of the disease (unforeseen) the person run out of money, except for food, amenities (like cellphone load) and taxi on the way to the airport for the flight back home.
    The doctor giving the medication volunteered to give a personal loan even without the patient asking for it. It turned out that medication consisted of 15 sessions of infusion chelation therapy. One session costs 5,300 pesos, one pound converts to 64 pesos or the US dollar converts to 41 pesos plus costs for consultation and three blood tests (one before therapy, another in the middle, and still another at end). A blood test costs over 10,000 pesos. The patient had cash on hand that could only cover about 8 sessions. So the doctor gave a personal loan that the patient would pay sometime after arrival in the home country. 
    Without that personal loan medication of the patient would have been incomplete. That means, the expenses for the plane, hotel, and partial medication would have been largely wasted. Reasons are that the objectives would not have been attained. The home country would not continue the medication. The patient would have to come back to the Philippines within the year to complete it.
    The patient was profuse in thanking the doctor for giving such trust. I assured the patient, who got the information on such treatment from my Hubs, that the doctor wanted the cure accomplished.

Wow!! That is an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

6. Abby Campbell profile image93
    Abby Campbellposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you're looking for, but I have to say that I'm extremely spoiled when it comes to random acts of kindness. I have the most beautiful husband, and he does random acts all the time... even though we've been married for 20 years. He will come home and cook if I haven't started dinner. We will run errands, and he will buy me something that I didn't expect nor tell him I wanted... but he noticed I was admiring that something. Randomly, he will pick flowers from my garden and have them sitting on my kitchen table. Or, he will leave me a handmade card with his own art and words at my desk to find in the morning. He will surprise me with special daily trips for us just because he wanted me to get away from work and spend time with him. He is the epitome of random acts of kindness. If everyone could be as thoughtful or kind as he is, I can only imagine what our world would be like.

You are truly a lucky lady! This world would absolutely be a better place if we were all a little more considerate. Thank you very much for your inspirational response.

7. JamiJay profile image86
    JamiJayposted 5 years ago

A few weeks ago I was waiting in the grocery store parking lot and I saw an elderly woman lifting several 12 packs of soda into her car, and they looked heavy, so I got out of my car and asked her if she needed any help, in which she replied, "Oh, no dear, thank you, but it's good for me to do it myself." I smiled and said, "okay, I just thought I'd ask since they look so heavy." She smiled back and said thank you, I think I made her day a little brighter and she made me giggle. I also used to let a homeless man "loiter" in the place I worked while I was pregnant, I would let him use the phone to call the temp agency, I would give him cookies I was supposed to throw away, and one time I even bought him a sandwich (I got in trouble with the owner, for business reasons, but she said I was doing a good thing, even though she told him he could no longer "hang out" in the store).
    Every time I go to a store without automatic doors with my toddler I always find someone willing enough to hold the doors open for me while I struggle to get the stroller in, which I find incredibly helpful. Also, one time when I was trying to buy something for $2 at the store and my card was declined and elderly couple behind me payed for it and told me to not be embarrassed, things happen, and to have fun day cooking (I was buying a cheap muffin pan to make mini quiches).
    Every now and then I notice random acts of kindness everywhere and it gives me hope that people will stop fearing strangers and lend a helping hand for those who need it. Never let the bad people discourage you from being good. I live in a place where I do see a lot of negative actions, but I still try to be good to those who need it, because that's what I would want from others, and it has come back to me in small ways, but it's the small things that make an impression on people.

1. Abby Campbell profile image93
      Abby Campbellposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We could definitely use more people like you in the world, JamiJay! What an incredible world it would be!

2. celeste inscribed profile image90

I love your positive attitude. This is how we should all be thinking. Thank you for an honest answer.

8. The Reminder profile image71
    The Reminderposted 5 years ago

Just yesterday I was waiting for the bus and some guy comes by with some flowers and offered them to someone. That person declined and he went on to the next person until someone finally accepted them!

That is definitely not something you see every day. Thank you for your comment.

9. celeste inscribed profile image90
    celeste inscribedposted 5 years ago

Today I experienced a random act of kindness. I was at the mall with my parents and my son. We all went to the food court for lunch. We sat down to eat and my son opened the toy he got from his Macdonalds Happy Meal. We always make sure to ask for a boy toy so that he doesn't get a pink pony or something. The next moment a lady approaches our table with two more of the same kind of toy. When she asked to exchanged them she was told that they had run out of girl toys. Her girls didn't want a flying action man so she walked over to our table and offered them to us. Just out of the blue. How nice? We accepted them with thanks. I just feel bad for her girls.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)