jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Why won't the government secure the border?

1. ZipperConstantine profile image80
    ZipperConstantineposted 4 years ago

Why won't the government secure the border?

It makes no since to me why there is such a controversy over securing our border.  Common since tells me that we already have millions of illegal aliens in our country now who are draining our medical system, paying no taxes, using our school systems, catered to by business writing everything in Spanish when I thought we were an English speaking country.  All an illegal has to do is have a child here and they get benefits.  What is wrong with this story!  I am personally tired of paying for people who don't belong here legally!!!!

2. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

1. It cannot. The United States has some 7,500 miles of land border and 89,000 miles of tidal coastline. There is no feasible means of securing it all, and every attempt to seal even part of it has been bypassed with creative countermeasures or by merely shifting of the points of entry.

2. It is to the political advantage of one of the two major political parties not to secure even the minor parts of the borders and coasts that might be. No genuine intent to do so is on the table, no "deal" to do it will be honored, no legislation to do it will be implemented.

1. JON EWALL profile image73
      JON EWALLposted 4 years agoin reply to this

''It cannot. '' how often do we hear '' we are a nation of the rule of law'' FROM OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS IN WASHINGTON.The SOLUTION is to enforce the law?1986 IMMIGRATION LAWS OF THE USA TODAY? http://chicagoconsultant.com/page9.php? … =1&pos

2. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good example that no matter what statutes congress may pass, for whatever political reasons it may have at the time, the government is unable, or unwilling, or both, to secure the borders.

3. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

People always seem to want less government but more services... Enforcing laws takes manpower and money and as Attikos pointed out it really is a task that is currently undoable... Maybe some new technology will change that?

4. ZipperConstantine profile image80
      ZipperConstantineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, it is going to happen because people care and are not afraid to stand up for their rights.  The politicians aren't doing it but their terms will come up and that is when they will see who is in charge.  I believe in the American people.

3. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

I wish the Indians would've asked themselves that question back in the 15th Century.

But seriously now, USA can't complain about the excess of immigrants wanting to come to their country when you are constantly selling yourself as the "land of opportunity" and proclaim "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free". Moreover when lots of those mass migrations have been sparked, directly and indirectly, by the US government themselves.

1. JON EWALL profile image73
      JON EWALLposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The President and the Attorney General have the duty to enforce the LAWS of the USA.  Immigration Enforcement And Barak Obama at the American University gave a political speech
      http://jon-ewall.hubpages.com/hub/Immig … BarakObama

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

If we secure the borders it would mean we would halt our access to a cheap and hardworking workforce.. It's all about money in the USA. These people make the employer much more than they cost the taxpayer and since slavery is illegal, they are the next best thing.

My answer is snide, but people need to do some research on this subject not just put the blame on the people coming in illegally.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very true, but profits are number one in this situation, not people . Plus like many other developed nations , citizens often feel they are above doing the jobs these people will do for a fraction of the money.

5. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 4 years ago

Funny how illegals = spanish. Parece que no se enteraron que hay ilegales europeos, asiaticos, africanos, etc. Y la indignacion es tan ironica cuando se trata de un pais que se formo de oleadas de inmigrantes.

1. ZipperConstantine profile image80
      ZipperConstantineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

illegals = anyone who comes across American borders  without legal documentation.

working