jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you feel about the death penalty?

1. Zaiden Jace profile image69
    Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years ago

How do you feel about the death penalty?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. If the case is cut and dry and the person admits their heinous crime, then they should be put to death within a reasonable time frame. But, then you also have to look at how many innocent people have died, or were about to die and were innocent. This is really bothersome to me. Our court system is so corrupt that I think the death penalty is really not a great option.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I oppose the death penalty. People who confess, usually do so to avoid the death penalty as part of the plea bargain. Those who go to trail may be found guilty. However, we have seen in recent years, through the use of DNA, many people that have been convicted, were in fact wrongly convicted.
    If a person is guilty, it is my opinion, spending the rest of his life in a cell, with little or no contact with other people, is a far worse punishment. Often many people who are facing death, do come to the belief that God is real and forgives them. Thus upon death they go to a better place. An execution does not bring back the person who may had been killed and I do not believe it offers a lot of comfort to the family. As humans we are not perfect. Our legal system is flawed, thus there is always room for error and if there is room for error, then life imprisonment offers a chance to correct that error at some future date, while execution does not.

4. madmachio profile image62
    madmachioposted 4 years ago

I support it.
    If you commit a premeditated murder and there's evidence beyond a doubt, there's no reason the death penalty can't be invoked.
    I think if the death penalty was used in every state, it'd be telling would be murderers that if they commit the crime they too will be subject to death if caught and convicted. Therefore cutting down on murder crime..
    Just my opinion.

5. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

I generally support the concept of the death penalty, but most states use it so rarely that it's irrelevant.  And when they do, there are so many appeals that it may take decades.  The inmates often die of natural causes first. 

In terms of punishment, it depends on where the convicted is coming from.  A friend in the FBI tells me that many of the Russian immigrants that he prosecutes in RICO cases laugh at our prison system.  They call it "The Hotel"   It's hardy a punishment for them.  A good friend of mine is a CO in A block at Sing Sing.  That's the largest cell block in the US.  The inmates there are not scared of prison either.  For some of them it's an improvement over where they came from.  Three meals a day...Air Conditioning in the summer, weight rooms, basketball courts. They are surrounded by constant prison violence.  But they were surrounded by that before they went into the system.  The only guys who are really heavily punished are the ones in what they call "The Shoe".  They are in 23 hour lock down for behavior problems in the system.

On the other hand, as an example...if you are a dentist from a wealthy backround convicted of killing your wife...Prison will be utter hell for you.  In that case you'd probably crave the death penalty.  The severity of the punishment is a matter of where you come from. 

I generally don't see the death penalty as a deterrent.  I just simply support it, because I don't want the taxpayers to pick up the bill in perpetuity for the worst of the worst.  The cost of death row would be a lot less if we didn't have an endless appeals process.

6. Dantex460 profile image61
    Dantex460posted 4 years ago

I am in favor of letting the prisoner choose if they want to, i think it is more merciful than making them rot in prison for the rest of their life.