What are your thoughts on the Zimmerman verdict?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

What are your thoughts on the Zimmerman verdict?

Are you surprised that the vote was unanimous?

2. Superkev profile image60
    Superkevposted 10 years ago

Given the evidence I don't see how it could have been otherwise

cat on a soapboxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most agree with you that the jury carefully weighed the evidence as it was presented.

3. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I agree with Superkev and Alphadogg16. I feel sorry for the family because I'm certain they would want to see the person that killed their son behind bars but the law is not that simplistic. But GZ as much as you may dislike, like, or be indifferent to him, has had his day in court and was found not guilty. At least the Martin family has had a sense of closure and it will take time for them to heal. Many families NEVER even get a day in court. They fought for it, they got it, and this is the result. A civil suit is possible or likely depending on whom one speaks to. There are no winners, period. GZ's life will never be the same as is the case of TM's family.

You've made some very good points. Thank you for commenting.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

Its not surprising at all..........Nobody really knows what happened exactly except Zimmerman and Trayvon, and Trayvon can not speak. So I really don't have any positive or negative thoughts. It is, what it is.

You are right. We have to rely on the collection of evidence and the adeptness of the legal teams that present it. The jury I think did their best- now we move on, but it doesn't undo the tragedy of ruined and lost lives.

5. Cassie Smith profile image61
    Cassie Smithposted 10 years ago

I thought that the jury came to the only conclusion given the evidence presented before them.  I did think that the politics surrounding it would have them punk out and declare him guilty to manslaughter but not guilty to 2nd degree murder.  This verdict stopped the tragedy from continuing further if there had been a guilty verdict for either counts.  No one should be jubilant at the not guilty verdict, Zimmerman did shoot a 17-year-old young man who died and he will have to carry the burden of that deed for the rest of his life.

Good point that Mr. Zimmerman will have to live with this for the rest of his life regardless of the verdict.

6. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

No matter how you look at it, the whole thing was an ugly situation. I am somewhat surprised by the verdict. I thought Zimmerman would get railroaded for sure.

The fact is, however, in this country a defendant is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. The evidence for a guilty verdict was just not there.

Yes. Regardless of  one's feelings about the situation, the verdict has to be based on the presentation of evidence.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I believe in our system.  He was tried by a jury of his peers and found not guilty. I can't argue with that.

Agreed.

8. Marsei profile image91
    Marseiposted 10 years ago

I believe the jury was instructed to follow the law and they did.  Having been involved in court reporting for as long as I have, I know better than to second guess juries.  Unless you are there and experience every nuance and subtlety that they do, you don't have "all the evidence."  It is a tense and grueling situation in many ways, and I believe most jurors do the very best they can to follow the law.   I'm not surprised that the vote was unanimous.  The sole African-America woman voted her conscience just like the others did.  The law is the law.

I agree. Jurors must listen intently to the presentation of the evidence, follow the instructions of the judge, and carefully weigh it all during deliberation. The media approaches issues from an emotional standpoint.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)