jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Will other Hubbers remove names of the victims of Ariel Castro from their articl

1. FitnezzJim profile image82
    FitnezzJimposted 4 years ago

Will other Hubbers remove names of the victims of Ariel Castro from their articles?

Ariel Castro was sentenced to life in jail plus 1000 years for his crimes on August 1, 2013.

His victims have requested that the press honor their privacy.  To respect their wishes, I have removed references to the victims names from my article on this topic.  Will you?

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 4 years ago

First off, I believe Ariel Castro should have gotten a little more time.  With any luck at all some of his "bunk buddies" in prison will give him a taste of his own medicine.
    The names of his victims have been all over TV and in the news for some time now.  I agree with honoring their privacy but everyone who watches the news or reads the paper already knows who they are.

1. duffsmom profile image59
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, the names of the victims are already in the media. You cannot unring that bell - unfortunately.

2. FitnezzJim profile image82
      FitnezzJimposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Removing the victims names is also an attempt to protect the child involved.  Politicianscount on us to forget so that they can get votes in the future.  Can we not use this to try to protect a child?  Victim names will be forgotten if unpublished.

3. American_Choices profile image79
    American_Choicesposted 4 years ago

Victims deserve a life and I feel we as writers should honor this request. If we have a source, we would honor their request for cloaking purposes.

My issue is with the notoriety given the criminal. We should name the criminal by the crime and not use their real name. A crime should be a crime and yet we give exposure to a person's real name when we should label them simply for what they were found guilty of - kidnapping and rape of three young girls.

Let's be responsible and leave the criminal's name out of the headlines and lead with the wrongs they were convicted of 977 counts, let's highlight he pleaded guilty to 937 counts. While his judge rightly detailed he cannot profit from these crimes, we elevate him by using his name.

We must call a crime a crime and quit hurting the victims and celebrating the villains - the actions are what must be headlined.

1. FitnezzJim profile image82
      FitnezzJimposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I removed the perpetrators name also, and now call him the Cleveland Child Rapist.  All the victims were taken while young.

Closed to reply

working