jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think the Federal government will shut down on October 1st?

1. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 4 years ago

Do you think the Federal government will shut down on October 1st?

Or is it just another "step" on the circus stairs? Please keep any answers factual and make valid points. No cheap shots or biased opinions. I am actually seeking factual reasoning to better understand the situation as I am tight for time and can't research the situation.
    From my understanding, the house has to vote to compromise, this Friday, on a short term government funding bill. They might not do this because one side disagrees with some of the provisions included which are jointed to Obamacare which they disagree with?

Again, no crazy rants just facts being sought here.

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

Anything done on the national level could very well be considered a "step on the circus stairs," but to answer your question directly---no, the government will not "shut down."

What will happen if an agreement is not reached will be a government "SLOW down." Most essential functions will continue as usual with some less important functions being temporarily put on hold.

The media, as usual, is blowing this way out of proportion to make it sound like a great disaster is looming---well, it's not. You can read the facts more in-depth here:

http://www.heritage.org/research/factsh … t-shutdown

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Caleb for a non partisan explanation. I usually have time to look into it, but not this week.

3. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 4 years ago

This is hot-off-the-press, from the Associated Press:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Here's the truth about a government "shutdown." The government doesn't shut down.
    So the world won't end if a dysfunctional Washington can't find a way to pass a funding bill before the new budget year begins on Oct. 1.
    Social Security checks will still go out. Troops will remain at their posts. Doctors and hospitals will get their Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements. In fact, virtually every essential government agency, like the FBI, the Border Patrol and the Coast Guard, will remain open. Furloughed federal workers probably would get paid, eventually. Transportation Security Administration officers would continue to man airport checkpoints.
    But lurking around the corner is far bigger danger: Sometime in late October or early November the government could run out of cash. The U.S. would be unable to pay all of its bills in full and on time for the first time in history if it couldn't borrow more money.
    While the Treasury Department probably would make interest payments to bondholders to prevent a catastrophic default on the debt, it wouldn't be able to make other payments on time, which would mean delays in Social Security benefits and in paychecks for federal workers and troops in the field.
    Americans would feel the pain.
    To prevent a "shutdown," Congress must pass a temporary spending bill before Oct. 1. To prevent a default, it must raise the $16.7 trillion cap on government borrowing.

Here is the link to the entire article:

http://news.yahoo.com/heres-truth-gover … itics.html

I hope this answers your question without too much fanfare!

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, peoplepower for the non partisan explanation. It's good to see people who are not brainwashed by poltics explain something logically.

working