jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What are your thoughts on the government shut down?

1. Zaiden Jace profile image68
    Zaiden Jaceposted 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on the government shut down?

Has it affected you personally in anyway?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

The government shut down is proof that we are burdened with a Congress that puts political views above the needs of the people. The shutdown is the result of the Republicans in the Senate trying to stop Obamacare. They cannot do it. The House will not go along with that and the President will veto any bill, and the Senate cannot come up with a two-thirds vote to override it.

As of this date, it has not affected me personally, but depending on its length, the services I seek and the departments that are not properly staffed, then it could indeed affect me.

If Obamacare proves to be the failure that the Republicans are predicting, then they will be able to repeal it and probably pick up some more seats in the next election. If it proves to be successful, then many Republican seats will be filled by Democrats in the next elect and the next President may also be a Democrat.

There is no reason what a budget cannot be adopted. There is no reason for delaying the action. Some government employees are going to suffer. We, the people will suffer because we may find it harder to get someone to answer or question, explain a form or provide guidance on Social Security, Medicare, etc.

To sum it up. The shut down was a childish and unprofessional maneuver that amounts to revenge because the Republicans did not get their way.

1. My Esoteric profile image91
      My Esotericposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Larry, so I don't need to repeat it other than wonder if my application for SS payments will be slowed down now that I turned 66 and if Amtrak (one of my clients) will start curtailing services.

3. tsadjatko profile image68
    tsadjatkoposted 4 years ago

My thoughts on the government shut down?
    This is what it should look like.