jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Does the inability to speak the language of a country with whom we are at war bo

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Does the inability to speak the language of a country with whom we are at war bother you?

I have always been troubled by the fact that we go to war with countries, become embedded within nations, and don't understand the language the citizens are speaking. I wonder how many special forces doing covert operations are trained in the language of the country and if they are, how do they learn the language in such a short time?  As a former interpreter of the deaf, I know that there are certain phrases that are generally translatable, but not entirely, either from English to ASL or ASL to Eng. I still think of Khrushchev's "we will bury you" phrase and the ques.of it's interpretation.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8442510_f260.jpg

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 4 years ago

Political posturing never translates from one language to another very well. The real intent of a nation against another can only truly be translated by their actions.

Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

as in all aspects of life, I suppose  Thanks Silverspeeder.  I keep meaning to check if your a speed skater.  I'll go to your profile.

3. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

I would be more bothered by the fact that I was at war with a country than I was with how little of their language I can speak.

Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your comment

working