HOW DO WE KNOW, JUST WHOM WE ARE TALKING TO IN THIS FORUM???????

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (135 posts)
  1. mandybeau profile image58
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

It is really hard to know when, you post a Hub, whether the person, is male, female, or for that matter even a Human, just joking. By this I am trying to establish that although most of us are totally ordinary people using a Computer, with no ulterior motives.
    I know there are Hubs where I look at know instinctively that the person, in no way matches the Profile let alone the appearance of the Avator, shot.
    I think that generally females write a certain way, and males another..........and yet there as Hubs written by people that are completley wacko... I understand that the language barrier, can be an issue, but not a biggy, as English is the Common denominator, so a reasonable grasp of the English language, would be necessary.
    I am sure that others must have the same misgivings. Let me know, very interested.

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I question if they are male or female as you are correct sometimes we just do not know. You can normally tell if they are male or female , but there are those occassions where you cannot figure it out. I don't care to much about the Avatars so long as I know who I am speaking with , as it is weird if you m ake a comment thinking it is a women and it is a man and vice versa. I also agree there are some strange ones out there and you thank God they are not your neighbor!!! ::::::::smile

mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are someones neighbour, though it is easy to assume the are not ours. I have a sixth sense. So find alot of the Hubs, I just don't buy, but then I ask why???? But agn not a shrink./////???????

I am glad that they are not ours well I hope not. I am not a shrink either but sometimes wish I was..lolololo
          Although I do wonder if anybody on here is actually my neighbor and I just don't realize it. mmmmm... I don't want to think about it as it seems to strange. Maybe it is my nosey neighbor who I call Mrs. Kravitz and wrote about.big_smile

2. goldentoad profile image59
      goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mandy can you guarantee me you are not a secret double agent for google?

2. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The short answer is, you don't. But that's nothing new. People have used pen names for hundreds of years. It doesn't really matter except on an on-line dating site smile

I fully relise that, but I am sure that people have their ideas as to how to differentiate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So I will re- phase, Any ideas that you have to tell the difference between a site that is B.S. and a genuine one. I can't be bothered with idiots, and have just had a elderly lady say that she pretends to be a man when she goes on line for her Safety. Bizarre. I told her to get a gun, and be herself. EEEEWwww and you just have to see the people my friend showed me from my town that were on the dating lines, they are total rejects, and are using old, and I mean old pictures of themselves, giving B.S Hobbies, they don't actually have, and amazingly they are all around 45, but claim to be younger.....Do they think they can go on a date, and not get caught out... Amazing.

1. profile image53
        Motherhood Trialsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I am new here and answered quite kindly I may add, to a question about God to a women who seemed quite sincere. Almost right away, a man appeared being so ugly for no reason. I had seen him befor taunting others and almost did not reply. But his remark was so cruel and stated something that according to my comment didnt even make sense. So I couldnt help myself but to try and put him in his place. I made my points and along came man #2. His remarks were of the exact hate and nature as man #1. I cant help but to think they are the same person. And since the lady who had the question in the begining never came back well...I almost wonder if she wasnt created to draw in someone like me . All sounds a little odd but the way it all unfolded was quite odd as well. Anyway..I am also a bit more careful now. The world is full of all kinds !

agreed so it was probably the same person, all the way through, I am interested in everyones stories, I have zero tolerance to all nutters.

1. Paraglider profile image88
            Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I checked this out and the two people concerned are in fact very different. One is Australian (the first) and talks/writes in a very Aussie style. The other is English-born and lives in France. Both are actually bona fide individuals but perhaps not the easiest to meet on a first encounter.
            The Religion forum is one of the 'liveliest' on Hubpages and in its description includes 'epistemology' or the theory of knowledge. We have regulars there of all faiths and of none.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the reason I avoid the Religion forum!

3. Paraglider profile image88

There's no doubt that some people will say things on-line that they wouldn't say face to face. But you have to weigh against that the fact that one-dimensional communication (missing body language, facial expression, natural timing, etc) can easily be misinterpreted. Over a period of time, you can form a quite accurate picture of the personality, but not of the physical person.

I choose to use my wood-carving avatar and Paraglider screen name because I see no reason to be any more 'present' than that to the casual browser. But I leave a very short trail from my profile page to my personal site and online CV for anyone who really wants to find out who I am. That seems a good compromise.

I immediately see you as a genuine.. This is what i am saying, we do have all the body language, and other aspects missing, that would be apparent, if we were in the same room, as the person. So thanks.Comment appreciated

Thanks for the 'genuine' smile  Another common source of miscommunication is local English. People who don't travel or perhaps don't even read widely often fail to realise how wide can be the range of meanings around the world of a single word or phrase.

I find that slang is a prob.. Anyone under 25 using ther latest slang, would be hard to understand to a foreigner, as English is already an ambiguous style of linguistics.
          Do I sound Australian???? Please say no.

no wink

2. agvulpes profile image86
            agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My goodness , do I detect racism in that remark?

1. Jewels profile image83
              Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm Australian and I'm thinking about feeling offended. smile

2. mandybeau profile image58

u do

4. profile image53
    Motherhood Trialsposted 14 years ago

I must say , you are braver than I. I created a new email web site and whole nine yards. I do not trust anyone to personal Info or finding me. I have nothing to hide but I do have plenty that I am responsible to protect. Now days you can never tell. I have talked with a few well informed people who seem nice as well, but I have no Idea who may see my hub that I would never hear from until it was to late. If I keep typing on this topic I may delete every thing tonight and not be back- HA

I hear what you are saying But fear, makes people prisoners. I think most people are O.K. Its the small percentage of sickos, and if you do look they send out messages., ie look at their fans,(Like attract like) if you don't like the look of them don't bother with them.

5. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ok I hold my hand up, I am not Johnny Depp. I knew I would be caught out, damn reject that I am !

OOOOHHHH

Even the fact you chose Johnny pic, makes you O.K. Hard case, not nutcase.

1. profile image48
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oi it took me ages to get a nutcase reputation, don't want to be a hardcase !

Didn't take me long at all always been a nutcase. Do u do autographs/////????????????????

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn, I thought you were...

1. JamaGenee profile image78

Me too. Oh why oh why didja hafta go and ruin the fantasy!  lol lol lol

4. RKHenry profile image62
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, well I went in for a sex change and now I look like a damn dog!  Without stiffing butts, I'm not sure if I would even know what I was before. GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!

A really nice looking doggy tho eh............lol

A really nice looking doggy tho eh............lol

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

i yam what i yam

I got very straightforward, intelligent, university educated, and a bit of a Computer wizz, from you when we posted over that horrible little pkoson man. Am I right about you.? LOL 
      Grammar as bad as ever ...... Please do I sound Australian??????
      Say No.lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely an Aussie. smile

It is usually worth taking a look at the person's user page. You can usually tell the genuine ones from the non-genuine.

Some people have what they consider to be a valid reason for hiding their real name/photo etc; some are just paranoid; but some use it to hide behind poor behavior.

I am me. And I also upset the christian lady because I took offense at being told your kind (unbelievers) are a dime a dozen.

lol

Two sides to every story eh. She forgot to mention that.... I think Christians, can often be some of the most hypocritcal people going.. Specially the ones that bang on and on about Christianity, I know one that said, she would pray for me and all other heathens she knew. lol.

Two sides to every story eh. She forgot to mention that.... I think Christians, can often be some of the most hypocritcal people going.. Specially the ones that bang on and on about Christianity, I know one that said, she would pray for me and all other heathens she knew. lol.

3. profile image53
          Motherhood Trialsposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. R. Blue profile image61
      R. Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pleased to meet you Popeye!!  LOL  I have 2 different accounts on hubpages and I reply with a different point of view from each....hmmmm....there is a lot to be said for split personality....."No there isn't!!!"   Shut up I was talking to her.

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

your rather on point i hope....but its 5.20 am here, and sleep deprivation has made me goofy.So that background may not be quite as apparent.

Im also a wacky artist type with paint on me shoes and under my fingernails

I was going to change my picture to popeye, but i got distracted.

good night!

I wouldnt have guessed australian...but i looked up the NZ art gallery listing so im no longer working just from conjecture

8. Paraglider profile image88

An Aussie who uses "whom" correctly???

C'est impossible, n'est-ce pas?

1. agvulpes profile image86

Doe's it really aggravate you that much that we Aussies can't speak Queens English proper like ?
      Why do you think we do that?

Not even slightly smile  (And I'm not English either)

Oui!

9. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Hi people, i am me and i am real. Have fun

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Although my head is not really a blue planet Earth (and really does have the usual two eyes, one nose, and one mouth); and although I use a pen name (only to protect the privacy of my family), I am every bit who/what I say I am throughout any of my writing. 

As someone else said, I have my profile page, which leads to any number of other sites/pages; and I think it's pretty clear that the writing all comes from the same person.  I do have several blogs in order to put different types of material on each; but I've even tried to show some consistency in style throughout them by using my same, old, boring (and yet "me") color and design choices.

I've been kind of uncomfortable with the idea of "sticking my face on the Internet"; but if I had a recent, decent-looking, picture I might consider it.  I've written a couple of things about products and been accused of either working for the company that makes something I make a positive remark; or working for the competitor if I make a negative remark.  It kind of amazes me, because - honest - I'm so "the real me" (except for the altered name).

As for other people, I know not all are who they say are; but maybe that doesn't really matter (can't matter) a good part of the time.  If I were smart I'd probably make myself and my writing a whole lot more colorful and exciting - but I'm not creative enough to do that, even if I wanted to.

Ah - but Mandybeau, how can we be sure you are who you say you are?    smile   In all seriousness, it would be nicer if everyone were who they say they are, wouldn't it...   smile

Well you can't be sure obviously, but all roads lead to Rome in my case....I have in the past been under suspicion, because someone, that no one liked coincidentally arrived on my computer, and in an Hub I wrote I had mentioned them , because they looked like getting kicked off, and I needed a storyline. . I have no excuse or explanantion, for this weird situation, except, that obviously that person, and I wrote in an entirely different way. But today I found sophieqd, who I knew i was in the fan Club after she joined mine, had no fans, and no Hubs, but plenty of Hubtivity...so for example what is with her. Technically I am British, but as my name suggests I am also French, German,Italian and Spanish ethnicity. New Zealand is a British Colony, we are, so we  British Citizens. Closest country to us is Australia. I am a New zealand  Artist, and therefore am easily checked out.

11. Lisa HW profile image62

Jewels, are you Catwoman?   smile  (I wonder if your avatar says some deep, psychological, thing about you when you have chosen a character who wears "an outfit" and a mask?   smile   (Of course, I wonder if my selecting a whole planet (albeit a transparent one) says some deep, psychological, thing about me (other than I think it's a pretty picture)   smile  Somewhere online there must be some site that analyzes this type of stuff (and maybe even how to detect who is real and who isn't).

Something that occurs to me is whether people who are truly who they say they are may be uncomfortable showing a face other than their own - and so choose "non-face" or "non-human-face-showing" images instead?  Interesting theory, eh?

I think I'm going to do a search and see what shows up.  smile  Nobody has to worry.  I won't report back.  smile

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, maybe you're a space cadet on a mission from the CEO of Planet Neptune.

I was in the mood to be catwoman, was time for a change, and I'm likely to change it again.  I have allot of deep psychological traits (I didn't say issues!) Also have light shallow psychological traits, and some sexual ones and some prudish ones, a spiritual one, a professional one, a rebellious one - do you want me to go on?

When I write there is a part of me that goes into a hub, the reader can often feel it, depending on the subject and what I put into it.  I can in turn feel allot of what other hubbers put into their writing.  Attitudes transfer and are quite tangible to me, but they always have been. 

Some people can use bravado in their writing, even if at home they do the opposite.  Interesting what masks we use doing different tasks.  Is not hard to see that a virtual world brings an arena where some people can leave their Real World personality and 'issues' behind and create something else they would prefer to be.

2. shibashake profile image83
      shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is really interesting. I get into online gaming from time to time and I have noticed that some people tend to gravitate towards particular types of character classes. Some people really like playing the Paladin (leadership class) while others really like playing the mage (power class), etc.

You can really learn a lot about yourself and others by going back and re-reading your online interactions. I think, in many ways, people tend to be less guarded when online, because its not like they are going to meet any of the people in real-life. Kindda like talking to a bartender. smile

This gives me all sorts of ideas to put into a hub!

3. shibashake profile image83

I was just doing some searches on this and found some really humorous articles on profile picture analysis. It would be a lot of fun to do a Freudian analysis of profile pictures smile

What do you think? What would Freud say?

Hell no, what type of Moron would be a scary bog roll for a day?,Especially given that the same Moron, thought it was a comical Bog Roll)  it doesn't take the genius, of Freud to figure that one OOOOWW

1. shibashake profile image83

lol - I disagree. I think said Bog Roll is extremely complex, and it would take someone with at least Freud's brand of genius to figure her out smile

Are you alluding to the Bog roll with the scary face, or the crazy person, that utilized her. Funny apparently it is very copyright, so I got my fingers slapped for using it. Lol.
            Artists are so techy about their designs, I let anyone use mine.
            Mandy

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
              GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Schweet, I've seen the phrase Bog Roll today. I'm throwing in Season One of Red Dwarf now. wink

G|M

Neat! I have a friend from England that I've begun to trade stuff through the mail (or maybe "post") with.

I love to learn a new cultures..well, culture, I guess. I live in California--I've met people from Russia, Germany, Taiwan, South Africa, and on, and on. I like to impress people sometimes. wink

But most here that know me, know that, I think..

Love,

G|M

We are an English Colony, settled by Dutch French as well as English, you see where I fit into the equation French German Italian, and Spanish Ancestory, we are all British subjects, and we have an indigenous race called maoris, and they are at present trying to get back the land. Trouble is they are as mixed up ethnically as moi', so it is infuriating having to give Land back that they have been paid for over and over again........We don't like them, and they don't like us. So we have some racial disharmony. I always think England signed the Treaty with them, after they cannabilised the original inhabitants, France just missed out. They didn't feel they would be treated as fairly, and if I am anything to go by, they are sooo right.
                    I like chatting to people like Countrywomen, and Londongirl, as Countrywomen culture is very different from mine but I have Indian friends, and Londongirl, is the essence of English integrity.... Sadly N.z. has lost some of that integrity along the way.
                    Nice to meet you
                    Mandy

2. shibashake profile image83

Actually, I had to Google it. At first I thought it was Bong Roll; which got me really excited. But alas, it wasn't bong related at all.

1. goldentoad profile image59

someone say bong?

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61

Nice to meet you, too Mandy! I'm going to be going through your ish soon. smile Quite a history. I recently wrote a Hub (<--bad plug) that deals with piracy today and yesterday, detailing about some colonial times.

You just have shown how "crazy" it was when pirates ruled the seas.

And goldentoad, I'm with you man. Grab some Red Dwarf and you'll enjoy. Especially if you visit doctor greenthumb beforehand. smile

And yes, I've a medical license. So feel free to throw stones.

G|M

2. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone on HubPages should create their own toilet-paper head, take a picture, and use it as their avatar - all on the same day.  It may not be the most clever form of group humor, but I do like to imagine people searching Google, getting to HubPages, and finding nothing but toilet-paper-head avatars.   smile

That would be something funny to see!!!big_smile

If they do I will put my head on the line again hahha

I tend not to be a fan of Freud, for the most part,  smile  but even if he knew what he was talking about on some things, I'd probably rather not want to know his version of what any of our avatars mean.

When this thread first started I did ask myself why I selected that Earth picture (I use a black-and-white keyboard on other sites, boring; and the same black-eyed Susans on some,both boring and "branding", I guess - as well as the quickest PD image I ran into).  I did make the conscious effort to separate Hub writing for my other stuff, but - really - "pretty picture" was the main thing.  I suppose I wanted something kind of universal (and what's more "universal" than Earth?), but I suppose the prettiness of the picture shows my femininity.  Consciousness about the planet seemed like a good message too.  Mostly, I liked the combo sun, water, clouds, Earth, see-through thing. 

Two things occur to me:  I wonder if those reasons are what people would have assumed they were; and I wonder if anyone else has self-analyzed his choice in avatar.  (Of course, there is also the thing that sometimes we just stick any old picture  on for an avatar, because we don't like that silhouette guy representing us.)

Yeah, Freud's theories can sometimes be weird, creepy, and a bit disturbing but I really enjoy what he has to say. Makes me think about things from all these new angles that normally I would never think to go.

For me, the planet picture makes me think of the environment first - solar power, energy, going green.

I think it is difficult to take "silhouette guy" too seriously. If he won't even spend 2 minutes putting up a profile picture, how much thought is he really going to put into anything else?

The topic of online image and online representation really fascinates me. Strangely though, I did not spend too much time thinking about my own profile picture when I first joined. Since then, I have gotten attached to my avatar, so I have not changed it.

This, I think, it another interesting aspect of profile pictures. Some people get attached and never change it, while others change it quite frequently. Freud would have more to say! smile

Yeah, and it'd probably be just as crazy as he was. wink

But excellent points about profile pictures. I love yours, and most of everyones, actually.

golentoads is awesome right now.

And more, but...hey, I'm just giving a general overview, I'm no authority.

G|M

lol, idk, all geniuses have more than a bit of crazy in them. Price you pay for phenomenal cosmic brilliance.

What are you talking about?! Everybody is an authority here. Just say you are, put up an authoritative profile picture, and you will be so.

You're right. My authority is vague. wink

shadow man always make me think dodgy secretive, that is of course if the site is older than a week, as you say doesn't take long to load a picture.
            Maybe they are so unsure of even the pictures effect, they are too paranoid to post.....

3. mandybeau profile image58

shadow man always make me think dodgy secretive, that is of course if the site is older than a week, as you say doesn't take long to load a picture.
            Maybe they are so unsure of even the pictures effect, they are too paranoid to post.....

12. goldentoad profile image59
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I am really Elvis Presley's bastard son, but I don't want to be known as that.

My long lost brother ! I am dire need of money and daddy said he gave my share to you to look after. Where is it?

I got jacked out of everything too, I tried to sell my story, but they didn't buy it

So - you blew my inheritance? Typical........ big_smile

okay, okay, I had a bit of a crack habit for a couple of years, but I only got crumbs of the inheritance!

Still, I think you should start working to replace my half - don't you?

It's what daddy wanted..........

I was thinking about it, but the security around Lisa Marie is too strong, Blackwater types, they got my request on an increase of the inheritance, and that didn't go to to well, as I was delivered a restraining order with the response

2. Laila Rajaratnam profile image68
              Laila Rajaratnamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!This is great..had a hearty laugh!LOL.smile

13. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I would say that when it comes to how much you want to disclose of yourself, such as with a photo or in a profile description, depends on what context it fits in, where you are at online and who you are trying to connect with. Some people are voyeurs and they like to watch, while others like to participate, and others want to really connect on a personal level, but I don't think that it should be a concern when in various forums, the internet has made it possible for people to exchange information and ideas without having to commit emotionally.

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Not long ago I was on a forum that's pretty much aimed for "all business" type talk.  Not that it's stuffy, but it isn't there just for fun.  Not long into the thread I was overcome by the urge to make a joke that, I thought, only people who have "the same humor as I do" would get. I "played the humor straight" and took the chance and wrote my comment.  I figured, worst case, people would ignore "this idiot".   About a minute later someone else came back, picking up on what I thought was pretty subtle humor, and one after another people contributed, and the thread turned into one that people started calling, "a blast".  An administrator said she was going to copy it and send it around her office.  Of course, I was secretly a little delighted to have gotten this particularly hilarious and well received string of comments started. 

It's not many on that forum who know a thing about any other contributors, but it was a great "group connection" that just emanated "shared humanity".  It was almost the (dramatic word for this small incident) purest form of emotionally connecting.  It turns out that even those of us who use the Internet without ever really intending to "emotionally connect" with anyone often end up doing so.  It's like the "real world" is - some people are genuine, others are not, and everyone tends to reveal only as much as they want to.  I'm ok with that.

14. SEM Pro profile image83
    SEM Proposted 14 years ago

Hey Mandybeau, good point. Thinking the writer of a hub on abortion was male, I gave it little credence. Found out it was a female and had to re-read. Interesting insight into my own (limited?) beliefs.

Yes this is the sort of thing I am talking about, an avator shot, such as the Johnny Depp of Bad company suggests macho and obviously a bloke, (One for my neighbour  Australia there, "Bloke" Aussie,as  I am complimenting Australia LOL> and his comment tells me he is a bloke but sophieqd....not sure ladies name, no Hubs no fans anymore Horse head, straight out of the Corleones, and I can say this without being racist, Italian in my D.N.A. She gives no real source of identity.
      Also I cannot figure accofranco.. Pkoson, could be anything, just impossible to know what. But again I would guess male, though subject matter female. I mean would a guy care about baby stories, or sleep positions, ?????????????????????? Some are easy some are hard.

15. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 14 years ago

Heck I don't even sometimes know in the forums what is going on, I think it's me on some level but on another I also think there is GREAT room for BIG improvement in the chat forum idea. Any of the powers that be I would more than welcome dialog on this subject.

Thanks,  same opinion as you, Sorry, no one likes to think that they think like me, what I mean is I totally agree, with your post
      Cheers
      mandy

16. Lisa HW profile image62

Mandybeau, I just went looking for the mysterious person you mentioned, and she isn't showing up anywhere, even when she's listed as having made a comment on Hubs.  "She" is probably on here under some other name now.  Oh well....   a mystery.

she is called sophieqd, and she left me a message on one of my Hubs, and I was surprised to find absolutely no message there. I write stupid satirical stuff from time to time, and she answeres with "Thanks for a helpful article." I looked her up to find the comment, after receiving an e mail from Hub Pages, and she was therebut with No Fans and No Hubs. So I haven't a clue her avator is the bottom of a horses head.
      Questionable.

17. Lisa HW profile image62

I have a couple of other reasons some people may prefer not to post their picture (or maybe real name); and they're not negative/questionable reasons at all.

With pictures, some people who write because writing is their "thing", some people can want their writing to stand on its own and not be tied (for good or ill) to their appearance.  For some people (like me), not matter of serious, light, or otherwise my writing is, I want it to be about the writing.  It shouldn't matter what I look like (even if that happened to be, say, like - who - Heidi Klum?  Marilyn Monroe?  Cleopatra?  Archie Bunker?   smile  )   Writing sites often say people should post a picture so they show they'll stand behind their words.  I do stand behind my words, and am willing to back up or debate anything I say.  I don't happen to think posting my photo guarantees much more than that.

The name - some people have bad sounding names.  Others may not want to give away a nationality for some reason.  Others could have too many people online with the same name.

18. profile image53
    Motherhood Trialsposted 14 years ago

You are very incorrect by what you have stated of me. If I was referring to unbelievers in my comment I would have used the said word. I chose the word that I did because it seemed a bit more gentle than words such as Nasty ,Hateful, Angery with God, impolite, inconciderate, and so on. Any of those words would have put me on no different level that which I was offended by myself. Just because you are an unbeliever ,that in no way gives you a free pass at all of the other behaviors you choose to posess. Even with religon aside,There is still humanity that is concidered. There are unbelievers who are nice people and make it their choice not to be cruel and mean spirited. They respect theirselves and those who are around them. They would never lash out at someone who was being kind just to express thier own anger . I know unbelievers who have the ability to express their anger only where it truely belongs. We call this self-control and of good character. Neither of which you are required to be a "believer" in order to have. So it seems to me that your uglyness to me was just as uncalled for. I had responded to someone else.To step in and direct his answer to her would have been for her to choose which advice to take,but to attack me was not apropriate . If you wanted to jump in then it should have been at the innocent ones defense. Not because you to now had an open door to express your hate. Here is a thought for you both...instead of attacking those who are not even writing to you yet you feel so compelled to express yourself, why not write about your hate in a hub. Whether it be women,or God or just a list of mean things to say ! The faster one feels offended the sooner he looks to leave . Perhaps then some of it will be out of your system befor you enter the next forum. Please do not MIS-quote me anymore in your future comments. I have not misquoted you or even used your name in mine.

And what exactly did I say to you?

That you are patronizing.

And here you are again being condescending and patronizing. I do not hold dear that particular christian value of being patronizing to people who do not buy into your ridiculous belief system.

In fact - I find it offensive.

Get down off your high "holier than thou" christian horse and you might actually find that there are some nice people here. And sometimes they say it like they see it instead of this passive aggressive wounded christian BS. wink

Mark has a right to his opinion, He doesn't seem at all like you say to me, sorry but that is my opinion. my Hub was not about Christian values, he was keeping to the subject... I do not want this Hub, to be about peoples religious values, because we all know that when it comes down push to shove Motherhood Trials, (I am incidentally not picking on you) none of us knows what happens when we leave this mortal core. I don't like words like Christian etc., being bandied about..... I have friends that subscribe to Islam, Hindu,Presbyterian, Zion, and I didn't ask any religious questions, so How did we get into this. The Religious forums are for that. So when you insult Mark you also insult others, I thought that Christians were meant to be about understanding, sadly I haven't found that this has been the case.

2. agvulpes profile image86

If I may just offer you a bit of advise.
      This is an open forum and anyone is able to read the comments.
      As a service to everone it would be nice if you could identify the Hubber you are addressing!

19. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Well, I much prefer people to be real but for the ones who for whatever reason choose not to be it doesn't really matter on here

I think that to be successfully fake, you must reveal some of your true self as well; so perhaps there is no such thing as a truly fake personality. Personally, I think it is really difficult to pretend to be someone else all of the time. Some people role-play in online communities, but they will usually slip up from time to time. So I definitely agree with you - doesn't really matter. It is actually kindda fun to meet somebody who role-plays well because it is such a difficult skill to master.

For some, it does come naturally Physcopaths, sociapaths, and also pathological liars, these, cease to understand reality, and actually life the lives of those that they choose to create, they have lied to themselves for so long that they actually believe their own lies. These people, are dangerous.

20. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Oh goody.  Another one. (rolls eyes)  Is there a big red arrow from Sign Up to the Forums????

Jama and Cindy it is always nice when they roll up on here now isn't it???big_smile

This...whoever...has just put the same links to yosgold.com on at least a dozen forum topics in the last 20 minutes.  I already reported him/her/it to HP.

2. JamaGenee profile image78

As in, 'It's another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody"??? cool

21. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

man, maybe we can think of some kind of torture for spammers and spinners....

22. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Maybe we need to roll out the red carpet for them.  Now, if ever I was bored and wanted to look at a random website, a spammers website would never be on my list.

I'm actually starting to **like** those "Hi, I'm new here - come look at my first hub" posts! lol

Now that is funny!!! :::::::::::::::::big_smile

23. mandybeau profile image58

I wonder how my new Avator makes you all feel about me, Do you feel that a Toilet  Roll could be taken seriously???????????????? Yeah I know I'm full of it.

MandyBeau, You are so silly only you would think if a toilet roll..LOLOLO big_smile

OOOOHHHH That Toilet Roll has been shown on Television, more times than, anyother toilet Roll, it Is supposed to be a Cheap Toilet Roll, and a Posh one comes out, and is all nice and fluffy,....So I fwelt that a toilet roll, that is a work of Art, deserves a spot on my page. lol. I know that i am silly.
        mandybeau

24. profile image0
    jjrubioposted 14 years ago

your avatar is odd...I am being honest. That doll face is creepy! But I am sure thats what you were going for right?

No its a stupid ad for Kleenex Toilet paper, I was doing up a series for what is called Kiwiana, and I had taken this off. When I started to hear all the stuff about, IPs and personal info I decided that I would see if people treated me differently, than when I was myself. Its not meant to be creepy, the artist, designed it to look slutty, there are a whole shelfload of toilet rolls, you have a posh one and a cheap budget one.... My avator is the cheap one.
      Lol
      mandy

25. profile image0

help I just got nailed a  dup..that's bu;; crap I am so angry whay sjould I do???

1. profile image0
      jjrubioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you need to write HP admin and explain it...and see what they do. I saw your disclaimer on there...

26. profile image0

thaank you  and appreciate the advice ...but this is Bull crap...I ahver been a news reported I have dine TV and radio nes and this pages PC crap is bull\

1. profile image0
      TheSandmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes I am so ban my tying is even worse

1. profile image0

you are upset so you are typing faster than you can think...its ok. Write an email to HP admin ....DON'T WORRY SO MUCH!!!

1. Pest profile image77
          Pestposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry, but what happened?

1. profile image0

sandman wrote a hub and clearly put a disclaimer in BOLD font stating that some of the content was taken from another site and even stated the source but he was still flagged duplicate

27. profile image0

Is there an editor on now or is this just play ground

1. profile image0

they aren't gonna ban you or put you in Cyber jail silly....I know its bullshit but it is what it is....I have been there...

28. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Ahhh.  Well.  No big deal.  It has happened to me, too, and I'm a writer in the real world as well.  It must be some automated software or something.  Not 100% right--at all.  Doesn't recognize long quotes.

29. mandybeau profile image58

I have had one of my stupid Google stories marked as a duplicate, and yet no one except me would be crazy enough to write the thing it annoyed me, but i knew I wrote it, I was certain that unless someone, was able to read my mind it hadn't been written before.
    It was on Digg, I posted it and it came up check for duplicity, as usual drill, I marked i swear original, and I still could not post it/ C'est  Le vie

30. Lisa HW profile image62

I had something marked "duplicate awhile ago, and it was duplicate - but I was one who wrote it.  When you're flagged for "duplicate" does it always mean someone thinks you took someone else's work?  Or, does it just mean you put your own thing on HubPages and other sites, as well?  In my case, it was the latter; and I wasn't upset by it because it was, as far as I was concerned, "duplicate" (but it certainly wasn't someone else's writing!). 

Mandybeau, I think I would take you equally seriously, because I think I read the words and pay little attention to the avatar.  I would, of course, think, "Hmm - weird avatar.  I wonder that story to that is."

My avator is a Kiwi ad for toilet paper its a toilet roll, So like your earth I am trying to get people to take me seriously lol.

1. agvulpes profile image86

You sure it's not Betty Boop on a bad make up day?

Yeah I reckon the ad agency has used her face, lol

31. Lisa HW profile image62

I went out on a limb and put up a cutesy Easter bunny between yesterday and today - just because I was "inspired" to get away from the Earth thing and put something Easter-ish.  I got rid of it around midnight, though, because when it comes down to it, I'm not the cutesy-bunny avatar type. 

mandybeau, I'll be interested to see if your toilet tissue face picture is still up tomorrow night.   smile  Last night, as I was getting the holiday dinner stuff ready, I thought, "Why don't I put up an Easter avatar..".  Tonight, when I saw it I thought, OMG - get that thing off there!" 

For some reason, that toilet tissue lady is surprisingly disturbing for a mere roll of toilet tissue.   smile

You are right.

I asked 10 New Zealandersdid they find the toilet paper lady scary, 2 said slutty 4 said silly or ugly  interestingly the others (4) that hadn't seen the ad, said scary. I had never thought of it as that until jjrubio pointed it out, that it was creepy, because the ad takes the creepy out obviously.

32. Zooloot.com profile image59
    Zooloot.composted 14 years ago

I have found that you can learn to read people almost to the point of creating a picture of their true face.

Most people carry a lot of baggage as a result of their past, their appearance and even the Avatar they choose.

It works a bit like cold reading. You read a few of their Hubs and get a general picture in your mind of the type of person that would have written it and then hit them with a few comments to see their response.

Soon the picture will become clearer and you will see through the Avatar.

Life and people are very predicable once we get rid of illusion of what they are trying to make us believe.

That was my opinion too, I believed that I was able to do just that. But I picked up accofranco, and felt he was a middle aged man, after listening to huis posts.... I don't feel I was right.........I used my own face as the avator most of the time but then I put on a toilet roll out of a New zealand ad. which is a comical ad. And JJrubio found it creepy, so I looked @ it in her light, and it did look more creepy than comical, without the lyrics, so I took it off when another hubber said same, In that instance i just grabbed the first Stupid thing that related to New zealand that i could find, ie the iconic toilet roll. So you do have to be careful, what you do post.
      Hey thnx for your post.

Zooloot, while I know that there are certainly ways to make some reasonably educated guesses; I'm not sure anyone should be quite as confident as you seem to be when it comes to forming a picture.

Besides, I have to say that since I, personally, am not trying to make anyone believe anything in particular, I can't help but assume that there is probably a good number of others who are like me in that way.  It would be stupid to think everyone is "just who they are" (whether or not they show their real face), but I do think many must be reasonably "the same person" as they are in "real life".  A lot of people in the world (online or off) are phonies, but a lot aren't.

I don't particularly need to know more about anyone than they want to present (in their writing, posts, avatar, etc.) on any site.  I'm fine with the idea that some people may have a little fun with an "alter ego".  Then, too, if someone's a real weirdo it will show in what they write/say (unless they're good at hiding their weirdo-ness, in which case they won't be giving anyone online the creeps anyway.)

Excellent answer, however the ones that I think give people the creeps, probably are creeps. But I get the bit about Alter Egos, I was a toilet roll for a day, and Hey, people treated me like s...

Excellent answer, however the ones that I think give people the creeps, probably are creeps. But I get the bit about Alter Egos, I was a toilet roll for a day, and Hey, people treated me like s...

1. Lisa HW profile image62

and I went on the "cutesy bunny" kick for Easter - even though I don't have a shred of "cutesy" in my personality whatsoever.  I have to admit, though, it was kind of good to see a different picture for a change.  smile  (I agree that if someone gives people the creeps they're mostly likely creepy to the core.  smile  People who aren't creepy don't have a creepy alter ego either.)

There are I guess people out there that undervalue themselves so much, that they creep around, trying to have the various  qualities that they, themselves, do not possess. So maybe someone threw sand in their face, and this grudgful behaviour, makes the poor little weakling into a big brave bully on the net where we are unable to see, his/her underdevelopment, lack of stature, zits, and inability to attract the opposite sex. So that person becomes a type of perpetrator,they hook onto  someone,some uinlucky person, that just looks good, or is popular) a person  they would like to know, in real life, and assuming that person, wouldn't give them the time of day, they begin, trying scare tactics. They are totally pathetic, but I still think, that they need shuffling on hence this Hub. I intend like it or not to challenge anyone I think is weird, but am happy to have them challenge me, so I am not doing anything to them, that I wouldn't have done to myself.

3. goldentoad profile image59

jeez that's alot of thought for a silly picture!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)