jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think President Obama displays racial bias?

1. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

Do you think President Obama displays racial bias?

I didn't used to think so, but when I heard that Trayvon Martin's mother was in Washington to discuss " stand your ground" laws, I can't help but wonder. What qualifies her to be there, even when that law wasn't an issue in the Zimmerman trial? Are the parents of all multi- racial killings invited. I try to avoid believing anything is motivated by race, but this one has me scratching my head. Your take?

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

All of Obama's comments and actions along with Holders regarding this matter were and are racial in overtone. There was not a conviction. Obama is still an advocate for what he associates himself with. Totally unpresidential. If you are old enough, can you just imagine a white president siding with the victims of OJ? Totally trashing our jury system based on race. It is just wrong. He opened the mall for hispanic based amnesty march but closed it to predominantly white veterans.
    Oh I will be so trashed for this. And of course now a days anyone can trash middle aged white men. That is OK. They do it any way with impunity so why should I care if it is because I call it like I see it. The man is not color neutral. Can you even imagine a white president standing and saying he is proud to be white.
    We need to be color respectful on all sides. Obama is not.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

It was an issue in the Zimmerman case. It prevented an immediate arrest and collection of evidence/interviews which may have been fruitful, and more importantly, the jury was given instructions specifically pulled from the statute, which jurors identified as being a factor in their decision. (And it may have influenced Zimmerman's calculus to be armed and go around following people).

As for Sybrina Fulton being in Washington, that has nothing to do with Obama. She was there for a Senate Judicial Committee hearing, specifically the Subcomiittee on The Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights, headed by Dick Durbin (a white man).

Is the Stand Your Ground laws a racial issue? I don't know, but many believe it is, hence, I would guess, is the reason for inviting mothers who have lost sons who are a protected class of citizens. Should blacks be a protected class? Yes, they were once bought and sold as cattle and still to this day face racial animosity and prejudice.

4. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 4 years ago

It is not easy to believe that Mr President has racial inclinations considering the fact that the white electorate voted President Obama into office twice and anybody knows how the numbers overwhelm the black electorate. Not many people make the same mistake twice. As the saying goes "Once bitten, twice shy". The electorate seriously wanted him in and not out.

Also, being the first black president, he must pave way for other future black leaders by not maligning whites against blacks and vice versa.