jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we expect our heroes to be 100% perfect?

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image74
    Sundeep Katariaposted 4 years ago

Why do we expect our heroes to be 100% perfect?

Whether an industrialist or a political leader or a sportsperson or a movie star - people expect their hero to be super human and infallible. After all they are also humans.

2. carlarmes profile image74
    carlarmesposted 4 years ago

I don't follow the idea of hero worship, people are all equal, from the bottom of society to the top, we are just different, some just have more money and power over others.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Yes, they are. They are are merely people who fight against their fears, put them to the side, and do something for the betterment of mankind.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

You're making an assumption here I do not subscribe to.   Who says we expect our heroes to be 100 percent perfect?  I certainly don't.  And then the question is, Who do we regard as our heroes?

We know that some people regard heroic deeds done by members of the armed forces as heroes.  Perhaps they are.  But they're not my type of hero.   Neither are people who are gifted and and dedicated to various sports.   How the hell can a sports person be called a 'hero' just because they're good at a particular sport!   There's little heroic in that.

My kind of hero is someone like the late Professor Fred Hollows, Orphalmic Surgeon, who spent the mature years of his life helping hundreds of thousands of people all around the world have their eye-sight restored.   Who set up factories that could provide Third World people with pairs of glasses and artificial lenses at $25 a pop whilst everyone else was charging hundreds for same.   Here is a man who, with his team, is estimated to have help 60,000 before he died a few years back.

My kind of hero is a man or woman who makes the world a better place in which the rest of us live.   Hero Fred Hollows was no saint.  He had his weaknesses and well as his strenghs.   Certainly, I never expected a 'rough diamond' like Fred to be 100 % perfect.   So I finish off where I began:  I think your quesiton is innacurate and not particulary well thought out before you put it in writing on these Hubpages.

Still, you're at least subscribing to the Hub Community and getting us thinking about our answers, and we can only appreciate that.

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image74
      Sundeep Katariaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Tusitala Tom for your thoughtful answer. Would appreciate your saving personal attack for a better cause. I do come across ( and I am sure others too) people who think like that.

5. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 4 years ago

The way I see it is standards. How society makes people look. The rich don't do wrong, and so on. For our heroes they should be above everyone. They should be perfect, and flawless. Why? Because we don't want the face of someone with problems being a hero.

While, not everybody thinks that hero's have to be perfect. There are those that do. Only because society deems the higher standards to be more flawless.

working