jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe a grass roots political movement can happen in America ?

1. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

Do you believe a grass roots political movement can happen in America  ?

Or is the United States as we have known it totally doomed ?  What we need to do is send a huge message to Washington D.C. ,  By voting all incumbents out of office ! Clean out the trash so to speak , No actually  quite literally !  Imagine  if you  will the message we would then send to the rest of the world !   I personally believe we are doomed by  a plague of apathy ! And that  too  many Other things are too important to Americans ,  Television , sports channels ,  make up seminars and  other mindless day to day activities ! Young people are too self centered , middle America too lazy ?

2. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

Yes I do. I am both pessimistic and optimistic of grass roots movements occurring, so how much of a realist I am, I am not sure. I see grass roots with politics from where I sit with local organic farming. To me that is a grass roots movement. Unfortunate as politics is driven by trends - social and economic, I see those two mixing two heavily in that blossoming grass roots movement.

It is national, yet it is very much local. We have local organic farmers here in the San Diego area and very little farmer markets as meeting places for those. There are road side stands more than not. Most is exported of least within the state. The local nationally owned markets - Albertson's, Vons, and others do buy local, yet the definition for local is diverse and wide.

One example as a main staple are avocados. The growers are both national and international. Their product usually is not distributed as a local farmer, but as a conglomerate of growers through a distributor.

Maybe I digressed from a movement specifically being political, yet those politics are driven by the trends of social and economic. Business trends drive in my humble view politics much more than issues. Grass roots I see occurring, yet they just do not seem to become a forest. And, when they do I see more big business clearing the forests and then we wait for the seedlings to grow over too many years.

3. lovemychris profile image59
    lovemychrisposted 3 years ago

The problem is, they get beat up by the powers that be, thrown in jail, or infiltraited, like cointelpro ruined so many political groups...causing in-fighting and hard feelings. I'm starting to think boycotting is the only way...but, if you wanted to boycott, say the Koch bros....you would need 2 weeks to make a list of everything they own! Same with media, TV, radio-- even newspapers.
    Just try to speak up as much as you can, before they shut you up, like they have done so many before. As the saying goes...they can't kill all of us. And even if they can: go down fighting!! Follow your heart and intuition......those no one can own but you.

4. tehgyb profile image87
    tehgybposted 3 years ago

It's happened multiple times. The two big political parties always shoot it down and destroy it before it gets anywhere. Hell, Obama even signed a law making it illegal to protest anywhere secret service is present to stifle OWS.

1. lovemychris profile image59
      lovemychrisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, Obama signed a law...who wrote it? And sometimes it is warranted. Remember all those white powder and gunshot scares? And people make death threats against pols. But--peaceful protests are another thing...and corralling people in "protest zones

5. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

It just doesn't  seem hard to understand that we need to vote out all the incumbents in congress and  / or senate .  We could do no worse than having all new people in one or both houses . AND to send that message would seem perfect and would create change, . Does the American voter care enough to  do that , is the question . Apathy  all around is too widespread !

1. lovemychris profile image59
      lovemychrisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

what change? The system is still the same...and how do we vote out the Supreme Court, all the judges, the military, etc? we can't. Pols take the blame for all of it, when they are but a small part. We require change of heart--loss of ego. Starts w us

working